Windows 10: Issues with screen not turning off and computer not entering sleep mode after update to...

Discus and support Issues with screen not turning off and computer not entering sleep mode after update to... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Issue: - Screen will not turn off and computer will not enter sleep mode after windows 10 build 19041.450 was installed. Everything worked fine before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Vzzbxx, Aug 22, 2020.

1. /u/Vzzbxx Win User

Issues with screen not turning off and computer not entering sleep mode after update to...

Issue:

- Screen will not turn off and computer will not enter sleep mode after windows 10 build 19041.450 was installed. Everything worked fine before this install.

Troubleshooting:

- Made several restarts - no difference.

- Started in diagnostic mode - no difference.

- Turned off & changed energy saving settings - no difference.

- Updated graphics drivers - no difference.

- Unplugged ALL USB-devices - no difference.

- Disabled network card - no difference.

- Ran Windows energy troubleshooter which reconfigured energy settings - no difference.

- Ran cmd "powercfg /requests" and got the following:

[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0899&SUBSYS_18491898&REV_1000\4&1d2c9eed&0&0001)

An audio stream is currently in use.

- Disabled all sound devices and restarted the computer.

- Ran cmd "powercfg /requests" no audio streams or anything else running - no difference.

- Ran cmd "powercfg -energy" no issues that would cause the problems I have.

- Uninstalled the latest Windows update, lenghty process - no difference.

- Disabled Cortana options that activates microphone - no difference.

- Checked Windows Event viewer for "Kernel power, Kernel Troubleshooter":

I see logs but only for the last 3 days since I installed the update. I don't see anything specific that explains why nothing is happening. No: "Sleep mode failed because etc.".

- There are no logs at all predating 3 days in the Event viewer, everything is gone.

- Uninstalling unnecessary programs just to exclude possible sources of error, oddly enough, Windows

now says that some 30 programs that were installed years and months ago now have an installation date just 3 days ago.

Has Microsoft nuked my installation with a defective update? I don't know what to do...

submitted by /u/Vzzbxx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Vzzbxx, Aug 22, 2020

2. Windows 10 Upgrade 1903 64 bit Sleep Wakes Up on Multiple Computers

Someone suggested I look at all the drivers list before and after the upgrade. I did, nothing found/changed in drivers.

What I did discover was that after the KB4503327 upgrade, if I put the computer to sleep mode (via power menu,) I discovered the computer wakes up after the minutes set in the "turn off screen".
    So, if the screen shutoff were five minutes and I put the computer to sleep, it would wake up after that amount of time, then turn the screens off after another time period of five minutes.

At this point, I have set the screen turn-off to "never" and any other sleep mode to "never".
    Then, when I put the computer to sleep, it stays asleep.

This issue was never seen until this OS upgrade was installed in the system.

My next step is to upgrade the video adapter (something from 2007) to a new and different model adapter to see if that corrects this issue, or not. For now, my work-around is to set "never" in "sleep mode".

catholicfocus, Aug 22, 2020
  3. Computer won't go to sleep mode if I choose to turn off screen first

Hello azorybbm,

For me to better assist you with your concern, please confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.

If your computer is running on build 1803, some users had observed that when Microsoft Edge is open or running in the background; it somehow prevents the screen from turning off or entering sleep mode. Also, try unplugging any USB peripheral devices and
    check if the same behavior occurs.

You can also try performing the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa in this
    thread.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Aug 22, 2020
  4. David Haz Win User

Issues with screen not turning off and computer not entering sleep mode after update to...

After Windows 10 Anniversary Update Computer Not Sleeping

Hello.

Does disabling the HID-Complaint Touch Screen driver resolves the issue? If yes, we suggest that you disable it and see if your device go into Sleep mode after a period of inactivity.

We also suggest to check if the settings of the Power Options of your device are set so that the device will go into Sleep mode after a period of time. You may follow the steps below to check is Sleep mode is enabled on your device:

• Press the Windows button + X, then click on
      Power Options.
    • Click Change when the computer
      sleeps.
    • Change the settings to your preferred settings.

Keep us updated on the results.

Regards.

David Haz, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Issues with screen not turning off and computer not entering sleep mode after update to... - Similar Threads - Issues screen turning

2. Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly: hello,So I have been having a strange problem. It doesn't happen ALOT but it does happen. Out of nowhere when I shut down the computer in Windows the screen will turn off but the computer will stay on. The keyboard lights and mouse lights go out. Pressing keys does nothing. I...
  3. Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly: hello,So I have been having a strange problem. It doesn't happen ALOT but it does happen. Out of nowhere when I shut down the computer in Windows the screen will turn off but the computer will stay on. The keyboard lights and mouse lights go out. Pressing keys does nothing. I...
  4. Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.

Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.: Yes I know this has been asked a thousand times, but unfortunately non of the guides have helped in any way, as they all provide the same useless information.First off, I've already turned off all waketimers, made it so that nothing but the mouse can wake up the pc, I even...
  5. Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.: Yes I know this has been asked a thousand times, but unfortunately non of the guides have helped in any way, as they all provide the same useless information.First off, I've already turned off all waketimers, made it so that nothing but the mouse can wake up the pc, I even...
  6. Computer turns on by itself immediately after entering hibernation/sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. The computer screen does not immediately turn off when entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer screen does not immediately turn off when entering sleep mode: With recent updates, whenever I put the computer into sleep mode, the computer screen switches to lock screen before sleeping. In the past, whenever I put the computer into sleep mode, the computer screen would turn off immediately. Is this a new feature? or some kind of...
  8. The computer screen does not immediately turn off when entering sleep mode

The computer screen does not immediately turn off when entering sleep mode: With recent updates, whenever I put the computer into sleep mode, the computer screen switches to lock screen before sleeping. In the past, whenever I put the computer into sleep mode, the computer screen would turn off immediately. Is this a new feature? or some kind of...
  9. Filehistory.exe - Sleep/ Screen Turning Off Issues

Filehistory.exe - Sleep/ Screen Turning Off Issues: Filehistory.exe loads and runs in background whenever I boot. This causes the monitor to not go to sleep. The file history service is disabled so I don’t need the filehistory.exe to run. I can stop the program from running by ending it in task manager. This is a new problem...
  10. Issues with turning off display and sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Issues with turning off display and sleep mode: Hi I have a brand new Asus VivoBook laptop and the display is not turning off and the computer is not going to sleep for the times I've set. I've tried the Power troubleshooter, restoring Balanced plan to defaults, and turning off fast start up with no success. The screen...