Windows 10: Issues with stuttering/fps drops

Discus and support Issues with stuttering/fps drops in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; There is a TLDR at the end of this post but please read this thoroughly! Hi! Thank you in advance for reading and thinking along with me. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Syndralel, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Issues with stuttering/fps drops

There is a TLDR at the end of this post but please read this thoroughly!

Hi!

Thank you in advance for reading and thinking along with me.

I have some stuttering (no monitor issues) going with my laptop. It happened a few days ago and since then it's becoming really a pain in the ass when gaming. I notice it's happening too when I'm just browsing reddit, watch something on youtube etc. There is a thing that I'm suspicious about and wonder if any of you guys know if that could be the case or if I'm totally in the wrong here.

Before stuttering I occasionally check if my drivers need any updates whatsoever and at one point I was like "Hey, why don't I just download a driverupdater that can scan and install it for me. So I searched on Google and found out about Driver Booster by IObit.

There was a review website that was quite enthusiastic about it and I was like "fuck it". So as I download, scan and install there drivers, all fine and without any issues, I just close my laptop after that and go to sleep. I can't really say that after doing that, that I noticed it immediately because I'm playing GTA 5 lately and for some reason (even though is a 5+ year old game) it runs kinda shit on my laptop. So didn't notice it whatsoever.

But I know when I play Overwatch I rarely have a stutter happens and I get 60+ frames without any issue. That's where I started to notice that once in a while (depends on how long i'm gaming ) my mouse doesn't react the screen freezes BUT the audio still goes on and when I unfreeze it just skips to where I pointed the mouse and everything goes back to the "present of time". I think it has something to with either the drivers that are installed that are unstable or that Driver Booster itself is slowing down my laptop.

For people not familiar with Overwatch, it's an online fps. So I don't have any internet issues.

The things Driver Booster updated was:

AUDIO INPUTS AND OUTPUTS:

- Realtek High Definition Audio

BATTERIES:

- Microsoft Surface ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

DISPLAY ADAPTERS:

- Intel(R) HD Graphics 630

SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS:

- Intel(R) Display Audio

- High Definition Audio Controller

SYSTEM DEVICES:

- Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

MEMORY TECHNOLOGY DEVICES:

- Realtek PCIE CardReader

NETWORK ADAPTERS:

- Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

- Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168

SYSTEM DEVICES:

- Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family LPC Controller (HM175) - A152

- Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #5 - A114

- Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #7 - A116

- Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 - A110

- Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PMC - A121

- Intel(R) Host Bridge/DRAM Registers - 5910

- Intel(R) Management Engine Interface

- Intel(R) PCIe Controller (x16) - 1901

- Intel(R) Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT)

- Synaptics SMBus Driver

Drivers Driver Booster added:

- Intel(R) Graphics Command Center

- Intel(R) Graphics Control Panel

- Generic volume shadow copy ( I think this is for the function that the Driver Booster can make a backup?)

- Scp Virtual Bus Driver

My specs:

Windows 10 1903

i5-7300HQ

8 GB RAM

GTX 1050

TLDR: After downloading Driver Booster by IObit onto my laptop and scanning and installing drivers, I tend to stutter while gaming. Before the Driver Booster I rarely had a stutter while playing. No internet issues, no background processes that are eating away (AFAIK) and not the worst specs a laptop can have. I think it has to do with the drivers that got installed or the driver booster itself.

Sorry for the long post Issues with stuttering/fps drops :)

submitted by /u/Syndralel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Syndralel, Jun 28, 2020
  2. Dull Byte Win User

Sudden FPS drop/Stutter

Since 2 days ago, I just turned on my Computer, and it starting having issues while I was playing Witcher 3 (starts with decent fpsm and then very low fps, dropping to 35, then 20, and stopping at 12 or so, in a matter of seconds, in a matter of 1min of starting the game), also stuttering without any high demanding programs, randomly. I was playing at 45-60 fps, without any stutters or sudden fps drop. Have tried other games the issue persists. Even setup everything to low settings.
    I have ran several tests with several tools, all seems normal, no sudden memory spikes, or temperature raising out of the ordinary, nothing that would indicate such an fps drop or stuttering.

MSI Afterburner

I also did the reset option on Windows10, completly cleaned out all my personal info from the windows partition.
    So at this point, I am not sure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit: I kept doing some tests to find out the issue. And this happened before and I was able to replicate it. Same thing happened as before, till I set it up to fullscreen, Alt+Tab from the game and then back to the game, FPS went up to 50 again, stable and good, dropped after a couple of seconds. After a bit it went to 2-5 fps, and I had to shutdown the game, because even the sound was getting messed up.

MSI Afterburner 2

In this image those ups and downs in the GPU usage are when the fps dropped really hard and the sound got messed up.

Dull Byte, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Gaming FPS Drop/Stutter after recent Windows 10 update.

After this new years update, I noticed that my games have been getting frame drops and stuttering. I have a NVIDIA GEforce 1070 and I was able to run games such as CS:GO or League of Legends smoothly before the new year. However, after the recent Windows
    10 update, my computer can't handle the games well. For example, League of Legends ran at 144 fps (I capped it there) and constantly ran at 144 fps before the new year. However, after the new year update, my League fails to consistently run 144 fps, drops
    down to even 90 sometimes, and there is a lot of frame stuttering that is inhibiting my ability to play the game. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

PenguinYuki, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Issues with stuttering/fps drops

Gaming FPS Drop/Stutter after recent Windows 10 update.

This is a well documented problem that microsoft is trying to ignore. I have this stuttering and low fps problem on every single one of my windows 10 machines, and many of my friends. I have had this problem on and off for the last two years. See this nvidia
    forum with over 200 pages of people with the same problem.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...h-fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/

MesotheliomaCompensation, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Issues with stuttering/fps drops

1. Issues with stuttering/fps drops - Similar Threads - Issues stuttering fps

2. Fps drops and Stuttering on all games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops and Stuttering on all games: Pc specs: Ryzen 7 7800x3d RTX 4070 superMag b650 Tomahawk wifiSamsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 32gb ram Corsair Rm850 gold plusI updated all bios and drivers. Reinstalled them as well. Did a full Windows reinstall. Temps are below 80 degrees Celsius for both CPU and GPU. Usage...
  3. Fps drops and Stuttering on all games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fps drops and Stuttering on all games: Pc specs: Ryzen 7 7800x3d RTX 4070 superMag b650 Tomahawk wifiSamsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 32gb ram Corsair Rm850 gold plusI updated all bios and drivers. Reinstalled them as well. Did a full Windows reinstall. Temps are below 80 degrees Celsius for both CPU and GPU. Usage...
  4. Fps drops and stutters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops and stutters: So I used this debloater tool to debloat my windows 11 and soon I used the restore point I made but it gives me lower fps rhan before I used the debloater and alot of stutters...
  5. Fps drops and stutters

Fps drops and stutters: So I used this debloater tool to debloat my windows 11 and soon I used the restore point I made but it gives me lower fps rhan before I used the debloater and alot of stutters...
  6. Fps drop feel laggy and stutter.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drop feel laggy and stutter.: Using geforce experience, instant fps is fine, my 99% fps drops sometimes and my game stutters. I cannot find any fix, does anyone know how to fix this problem?I'll reset my pc change os but problem still happening in every game and ideal use ex. Browsing or only move mouse....
  7. Fps drop feel laggy and stutter.

Fps drop feel laggy and stutter.: Using geforce experience, instant fps is fine, my 99% fps drops sometimes and my game stutters. I cannot find any fix, does anyone know how to fix this problem?I'll reset my pc change os but problem still happening in every game and ideal use ex. Browsing or only move mouse....
  8. Battlefield 2042 FPS Drops and Stuttering Issues on PC [Fixed]

in Windows 10 News
    Battlefield 2042 FPS Drops and Stuttering Issues on PC [Fixed]: [ATTACH]Here is a complete guide to fix the FPS drops and stuttering issues on Battlefield 2042 on your Windows PC. Battlefield 2042 is a multiplayer-focused first-person shooter game and is a recent addition to the Battlefield series. However, some gamers have already...
  9. FPS drop and stutter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FPS drop and stutter: Dell G7 7588 Windows 10 Version: 1909 OS Build: 1836.1316 BIOS: 1.14.0 Processor: i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 12 CPU GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design, 8GB RAM: 16GB Problem: FPS drops and stuttering when playing Overwatch I haven't played Overwatch for 3 months+,...
  10. FPS DROPS AND STUTTERS

in Windows 10 Customization
    FPS DROPS AND STUTTERS: Eveytime when i play a game my fps drops and stutters of lot.And i don't know how to fix it.And i was using my pc for 2 months.Could you help me fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fps-drops-and-stutters/1b0a26e1-f4aa-4258-8042-c564217d0973