Windows 10: It appears you don't have permission to access this file. Check the permissions and try again.

Discus and support It appears you don't have permission to access this file. Check the permissions and try again. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I completely wrecked my previous laptop which had windows backup turned on. So, i took the internal hard drive out from the laptop and put in a hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JayKay123, Jul 12, 2020.

1. JayKay123 Win User

It appears you don't have permission to access this file. Check the permissions and try again.

I completely wrecked my previous laptop which had windows backup turned on. So, i took the internal hard drive out from the laptop and put in a hard drive enclosure. Now when I tried to restore files from the backup to my new laptop, whenever i try to access any restored file i get the following message: "It appears you don't have permission to access this file. Check the permissions and try again". Is there any way i can fix?

Thanks in advance.

:)

JayKay123, Jul 12, 2020

2. It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing with the Photo App, while accessing the photos from the external drive. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• Did you try to access the photos from a different PC using Photo app?
    • What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed?(Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the version of the Photo App installed?

However, we would suggest you to perform these methods.

Method 1: Steps to reset the app and then check if you are able to access the photos.

1. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to open Windows
      Settings.
    2. Then select Apps and click on
      Apps & features from the left pane.
    3. Select the Photo App from the list and click on
      Advanced Option.
    4. On the page that opens with information about the app, select
      Reset.
    5. Restart the PC and then try to access photos on the external drive using Photo App.

Method 2: As you have mentioned that there are over 100GB of data, let us try a test on a sample folder and then proceed.

1. Create a folder on the external hard drive. Copy few picture files to the folder.
    2. Try accessing this folder from Photos app.
    3. If you are getting the same error, give full permissions to only the folder. Follow method 3.

Method 3:
    give permission to the newly created folder in the external drive.

1. Right click on the folder created in the external drive, then select
      properties,
    2. Select security tab and click
      Advanced.
    3. The window that pops up should show the current owner. Click "Change." The "Select User or Group" pop up box appears.
    4. In the text box, type in
      everyone
      , and hit the "Check Names" button. Your name will be replaced with everyone and then click
      OK.
    5. The box disappears, sending you back to the Advanced Security Settings window.
    6. A new tick box appears below owner, with the text "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". Select this tick box.
    7. Also select the tick box "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object",
    8. Make sure that "everyone" appears on the Permission entries window, if not, click add. The same box that appears in step 4 shows up again. Type everyone, click "Check Names"
      and then "OK"
    9. Hit Apply.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jul 12, 2020
  3. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Jul 12, 2020
  4. It appears you don't have permission to access this file. Check the permissions and try again.

lt looks like you don't have permission to wiew this file. Check the permissions and try again.

I tried to access some .jpg files on my computer which I am the administrator but it won't allow me to access my own files, so why can't I access them? Please Help me figure out why I get the following error message: "lt looks like you don't have permission
    to view this file. Check the permissions and try again".

Thanks and Best Regards, jerry b baker <><

jerrybbaker, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

It appears you don't have permission to access this file. Check the permissions and try again.

1. It appears you don't have permission to access this file. Check the permissions and try again. - Similar Threads - appears don't permission

2. It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again: I have a problem on Windows 11 in Windows Photos app. All photos are synchronized in OneDrive. When the photo is in the cloud and not on the device, then when open the photo, an error appears - It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions...
  3. It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again: I have a problem on Windows 11 in Windows Photos app. All photos are synchronized in OneDrive. When the photo is in the cloud and not on the device, then when open the photo, an error appears - It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions...
  4. "You don't have permission to access...." error

"You don't have permission to access...." error: I'm trying to download my tax transcript from IRS web site and receive this error on my fully updated Windows 10 laptop, no matter which browser I use Edge, Chrome, Safari.You don't have permission to access...
  5. "You don't have permission to access...." error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You don't have permission to access...." error: I'm trying to download my tax transcript from IRS web site and receive this error on my fully updated Windows 10 laptop, no matter which browser I use Edge, Chrome, Safari.You don't have permission to access...
  6. It appears that you don't have permission to open this file. Check the Permission and try...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    It appears that you don't have permission to open this file. Check the Permission and try...: Recently My Hard drive attacked by some unknown virus/malware, i am not sure. But I used windows reset option to get rid of all unresponsive things started happening to Windows, but after reset it started acting weird, Some .JPG files shows this title error. What should i do?...
  7. it looks like you don't have permission to view this file. check the permissions and try again

it looks like you don't have permission to view this file. check the permissions and try again: My computer crashed due to bad SSD. After reconfigure my computer with new SSD, some backup folder I saved on offline HDD can not be read anymore. The error message: It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again. I have...
  8. "You don't have permission to access this folder"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "You don't have permission to access this folder": I can't use my USBs and hard drives because of this. Every time I try to connect USBs and hardrive the same message keeps coming up. I've tried to fix it "following step by step by step tutorials from everywhere but it just won't get fixed. I'm sick and tired of it. I need...
  9. It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again

It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again: I have a large photo file for which I cannot open any files with any photo viewer and only receive this error message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-looks-like-you-dont-have-permission-to-view/11f61855-0459-4bf5-9eda-e0777972647c
  10. It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again

It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again: Hi. I am getting the error "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again" on the Windows photos app while trying to view photos in an external HDD. Even the windows explorer does not show the thumbnails of the images. My PC...