Windows 10: It is not recommended a disk defragmentation for an SSD then why windows says to turn on it...

Discus and support It is not recommended a disk defragmentation for an SSD then why windows says to turn on it... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; don't windows know it is an ssd and its not good to defrag an ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AmanKLWx10, Apr 2, 2021.

1. It is not recommended a disk defragmentation for an SSD then why windows says to turn on it...

don't windows know it is an ssd and its not good to defrag an ssd

:)

AmanKLWx10, Apr 2, 2021

2. Disk Defragmenter won't let me defrag my HDD

My computer has a HDD and an Intel optane drive installed. I opened the windows defrag tool to try and defrag my HDD and it says that both the HDD and optane drive are SSDs and can't be optimized. I found a troubleshooting guide on how to fix the defragmenter.
    I've already tried sfc/scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. The guide also said to check the disk defragmenter service to make sure that it is configured properly, and I can't find any disk defragmenter services listed in the services list.
    What can I do to get windows to defrag my HDD?

patmiller4, Apr 2, 2021
  3. disk defragmentation

Hi,

To defragment your hard disk:

1. Click the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Defragmenter, and then in the list of results, click Disk Defragmenter.

2. Select the disk you want to defragment.

3. Click Analyze disk to determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not.

4. If fragmentation is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.

5. Click Defragment disk, in order to defragment the disk.

(The above method is based on Disk Defragmenter tool for Windows 8)

Code:
    [url='https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10']Upgrade to Windows 10[/url]

sayedarifuddinpallab, Apr 2, 2021
  4. It is not recommended a disk defragmentation for an SSD then why windows says to turn on it...

SSD Suddenly stops responding, even though no read/write disk access is occurring

Hello Mr. Kumar,

I'll try to boot into safe mode and see if the issue persists.

However, just some recommendations to users of this thread, and to you Mr. Kumar:

• This issue seems too precise for the hardware troubleshooters, thus it would likely be a waste of time.
    • Disk defragmentation can actually DAMAGE an SSD, since you're moving data unnecessarily and taking up rewrite cycles. An SSD has no need for defragmentation. However, you may have meant Optimization, which is done under the defragmentation tooltip. This
      TRIMs your SSD, which is necessary to do once in awhile. (I have already done this)
      • Also, the link you provided is for Disk Cleanup, not defragmentation or optimization
      • To run optimization, right click on your drive and click "Properties". Click on the "tools" tab of the new window and click "optimize".
        • Or open up a run window (Win + R), type "dfrgui" and then hit ok.
    Additional information:

I've downloaded the Sandisk SSD Dashboard, The life of my SSD is at 100%, and everything is normal.

IgnacioTampe, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

It is not recommended a disk defragmentation for an SSD then why windows says to turn on it...

1. It is not recommended a disk defragmentation for an SSD then why windows says to turn on it... - Similar Threads - recommended disk defragmentation

2. system disk defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    system disk defragmentation: MY system drive is 94 % fragmented. used defrag command but it stops after two passes and does not optimize. I am using hp probook 4530s with windows 10 on it . Any help please....
  3. system disk defragmentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system disk defragmentation: MY system drive is 94 % fragmented. used defrag command but it stops after two passes and does not optimize. I am using hp probook 4530s with windows 10 on it . Any help please....
  4. If defragmentation in SSD is a bad idea, then why does Windows 10 say your drive needs...

in Windows 10 Customization
    If defragmentation in SSD is a bad idea, then why does Windows 10 say your drive needs...: confused https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-defragmentation-in-ssd-is-a-bad-idea-then-why/275a24da-f3dc-4267-ae75-2afa91810bd3
  5. It is not recommended a disk defragmentation for an SSD then why windows says to turn on it...

in Windows 10 Customization
    It is not recommended a disk defragmentation for an SSD then why windows says to turn on it...: I have asked this question before in MS community and got reply https://www.hanselman.com/blog/the-real-and-complete-story-does-windows-defragment-your-ssd now I have confusion so I am not getting reply so the conclusion is that i should turn on defragmentation? or it is...
  6. Disable SSD disk defragmentation FOREVER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable SSD disk defragmentation FOREVER: Most of my PCs have 2 hard drives - first SSD and second mechanical. So I disable defragmentation for SSD disk and change schedule to monthly for the second disk. But after any feature update installation configuration is changing to the the default weekly runs for all hard...
  7. Disk Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Defragmentation: Good Morning, I have a Touchsmart computer with Windows 10 Version 1903. I was doing defragmentation of my computer this morning and ran into the following issue. Never had any problem before. C: Drive D: Drive System System showed 14% fragmented and it would...
  8. Is this disk defragmenter's problem?

Is this disk defragmenter's problem?: My disk is 1tb After i merge c drive and ddrive the defragmenter stuck Then i unmerge them the disk defragmenter worked and it didnt stuck Is this the defragmenter problem or the system problem?...
  9. Disk defragmenter stuck

Disk defragmenter stuck: My disk defragmenter stuck on pass 1:55 relocated After a few minute,it reoptimize again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-defragmenter-stuck/3c86ae80-939d-4aa9-89ed-1ba8f96e7550"
  10. Defragmentation of SSD's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Defragmentation of SSD's: hey guys, since Build 14295 my SSD's defrag starts automatically . The new Build , right now 14328 changes the settings and i have to reset this manually, to prevent this to happen. Am I the only one here? Jut to let you know Jeff 48360