Windows 10: It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder?

Discus and support It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an application that writes temp files in %appdata%/Local/Temp. I wanted to know if there is a way, either using Windows 10 or a third-part... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ARMIsNOTLoaded, Nov 7, 2020.

1. It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder?

I have an application that writes temp files in %appdata%/Local/Temp. I wanted to know if there is a way, either using Windows 10 or a third-part solution, to prevent that application from doing it.

The easiest way would be disabling writing on the entire Temp folder, but I want it to be accessible to other applications.

submitted by /u/ARMIsNOTLoaded
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ARMIsNOTLoaded, Nov 7, 2020

2. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Carlos: Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I have been doing. I search for folders with a specific name and get a list. Then I have to search each folder for a specific file. So it's a two step search and that's what I was trying to avoid.

I assume there are applications out there that allow for an "AND" search in Windows. I'll try that approach.

Thanks, again.

MarkMcDonough45, Nov 7, 2020
  3. RayWFL Win User
    Folder security to prevent accidentally overwriting raw data?

I work in research and most of the raw data we get is extremely precious, as it cannot be recreated.

But often image processing software automatically modifies the source image file, so if you forget to make a duplicate you can ruin months of work, potentially costing yourself thousands of dollars. As such we're all very cautious but if possible I'd like to
    prevent this using Windows 10 security settings on the folder containing the raw data:

• I would add the raw image data into the folder
    • Once in the folder, copies of file could be made into other folders where they could be freely mamnipulated
    • But the original file could not be modified in any way or deleted
    Anyone have any ideas how I would go about setting a folder like this up?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

RayWFL, Nov 7, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder?

How to always allow administrator permissions for a specific application

Hi Lyon,

Windows 10 gives users the ability to customize how they run applications. We suggest that you follow the steps below on how to grant administrator permission to a specific application:

• Click the Windows icon on your Windows 10 screen that will open the list of applications. Right click on the specific application that you wish to have an admin permission, click the
      More and click Open file location.
    • A new window will open to the location of the program. Right-click on the program and click
      Properties from the pop-up menu.
    • In the Properties window, click the Shortcut tab and then click
      Advanced.
    • In the Advanced Properties window, check the box next to
      Run as administrator
      and click OK.
    • The program will now open in administrator mode when you click the shortcut from the Start menu. Repeat the steps above for other desired applications.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Nov 7, 2020
Thema:

It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder?

1. It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder? - Similar Threads - possible prevent single

2. is it possible to restict an application to use a specific ethernetport or network?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it possible to restict an application to use a specific ethernetport or network?: I was wondering wether it is possible to use 2 different ethernet connections and restrict one application to only use 1 specific connection. I do have 2 different wan addresses....
  3. is it possible to restict an application to use a specific ethernetport or network?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is it possible to restict an application to use a specific ethernetport or network?: I was wondering wether it is possible to use 2 different ethernet connections and restrict one application to only use 1 specific connection. I do have 2 different wan addresses....
  4. How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?: So changing registry strings is a pretty common tool around here and something ive done pretty comfortably for a long time. Messing with registry permissions goes above my head and is quite a bit more risky. AFAIK with my limited knowledge ACL's and the like is quite a bit...
  5. Data Execution Prevention DEP breaks applications

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Data Execution Prevention DEP breaks applications: We have a compliance requirement to turn on Data Execution Prevention on Windows 10. We are supposed to roll it out like in this document: https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/windows_10/2017-12-01/finding/V-77091 Issues experienced: Turning this on broke our ticketing...
  6. Prevent specific app writing on specific folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent specific app writing on specific folder: There's a 3rd-party app I have that let me connect to servers to play warcraft 3 with others. It is a great alternative for battle .net. But I am annoyed and worried of what it does. It generates random files inside system's "Windows" and "SysWOW64" folder. It's just weird...
  7. Is it possible to limit an application to a specific amount of resources?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to limit an application to a specific amount of resources?: For example capping chrome to 25% ram usage and 10% CPU usage? Would be great if possible submitted by /u/pooperT100 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hbxxqu/is_it_possible_to_limit_an_application_to_a/
  8. Is it possible to use Bitlocker on a single folder?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to use Bitlocker on a single folder?: Is it possible to use Bitlocker on a single folder? The only option I can see it to lock the entire drive. 112392
  9. Write but not modify on shared folder, possible?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Write but not modify on shared folder, possible?: I want a program to access a shared network path and being able to write new files, bot not modify old ones. The only options I see are to fully write/modify or only read. I want permission to write and read, but not modify. Am I missing somehing or is it not possible? 80696
  10. Is it possible to disable a device while a specific application runs?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to disable a device while a specific application runs?: I have an IR receiver constantly attached to my computer. One program I use always registers it as a game controller, and stops me from using my actual game controllers in favor of it. Is it possible to automate disabling the IR receiver while the program runs, and...