Windows 10: It looks like someone is using your account

Discus and support It looks like someone is using your account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; This is twice this year that this has happened to me. I wish I had never given Microsoft my phone number. Now, every time I change my mobile phone... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by finlay, Nov 3, 2016.

1. finlay Win User

It looks like someone is using your account

This is twice this year that this has happened to me.
    I wish I had never given Microsoft my phone number.
    Now, every time I change my mobile phone Microsoft blocks my Microsoft account.

At the moment I am trying to recover the account but the first attempt was not accepted.
    Does Microsoft have any idea how much aggro this causes?

I don't even believe that there has been anyone using my account, it's simply because I'm using an unregistered device, it's aggressive data mining gone mad!

What can I do to stop this happening again?

:)

finlay, Nov 3, 2016

2. Updating windows 10 update looks like it is reinstalling? Is this legit?

Not a malware, seems like it is november update which brings wide number of new features.

Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 3, 2016
  3. WindowsOS Win User
    Updating windows 10 update looks like it is reinstalling? Is this legit?

It is just updating you computer to the Latest Full version of Windows 10 which is a complete new install. Don't try to stop it otherwise you'll mess up your computer. Just let it go until it's finished which will take a while. I suggest you plug it into
    a power point until it's finished as well.

WindowsOS, Nov 3, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Microsoft blocking an account when a phone number or security email is changed is always user's own fault. Without an exception.

On https://account.microsoft.com, selecting Security & Privacy > More security settings you can add as many additional email addresses and phone numbers (both mobile for text and landline for call) as you wish to be used for account verification when a situation like number change occur:

It looks like someone is using your account [​IMG]

If for instance a phone is stolen and you need to fast block access to your Microsoft account by changing its password, simply give another phone number or email from your security settings to verify your identity and receive the code required.

Personally I always keep two email addresses in security information and two phone numbers, my mobile and landline numbers. This in addition to Microsoft Authenticator app on my phone. If I now lost access to my Windows Phone on which I sign in with a Microsoft account and therefore also lost access to Authenticator app, I would simply sign in to my account's security settings from any browser or phone. When asked to verify my identity I can select which verification method I want to use:
    It looks like someone is using your account [​IMG]

Now I can change the password, remove the old number from security settings and add a new one.

Kari, Nov 3, 2016
  5. finlay Win User
    That's good advice.

Alternatively, don't give Microsoft your phone number in the first place.

finlay, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. It looks like someone is using your account - Similar Threads - looks someone using

2. Account looks like a family or child's account, but it’s not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account looks like a family or child's account, but it’s not: Message sent to Microsoft forumA elderly friend tried to login to her account and was asked to give parental permission. It looked like a childs account, but it’s not. My friend is a female in her 70s and has no idea why her account is a family account.? The account does not...
  3. Account looks like a family or child's account, but it’s not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account looks like a family or child's account, but it’s not: Message sent to Microsoft forumA elderly friend tried to login to her account and was asked to give parental permission. It looked like a childs account, but it’s not. My friend is a female in her 70s and has no idea why her account is a family account.? The account does not...
  4. The laptop camera light is on all the time and it looks like someone is using the webcam!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The laptop camera light is on all the time and it looks like someone is using the webcam!!: Hello there, Please kindly help me, My laptop's webcam works even without me using it, and the camera's lighting works as well!!When I finish the task through the task manager panel, the problem keeps coming back to me after about 10 to 45 minutes.The antivirus built-in with...
  5. The laptop camera light is on all the time and it looks like someone is using the webcam!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The laptop camera light is on all the time and it looks like someone is using the webcam!!: Hello there, Please kindly help me, My laptop's webcam works even without me using it, and the camera's lighting works as well!!When I finish the task through the task manager panel, the problem keeps coming back to me after about 10 to 45 minutes.The antivirus built-in with...
  6. quick access not looking like to what it used to be

in Windows 10 Customization
    quick access not looking like to what it used to be: i deleted some files from the appdata folder to save space old software/games to install cs go but then quick access started to look weird please help, it definetely didnt look like this before help please....
  7. What does your Default Apps looks like? Mine looks like this.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does your Default Apps looks like? Mine looks like this.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jolenebecomesreal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mo18k9/what_does_your_default_apps_looks_like_mine_looks/
  8. Looks like your credit card is expiring soon.....

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Looks like your credit card is expiring soon.....: Every single time i start up the xbox game pass for pc, i get the message that my creditcard is expiring soon. I don't even have a credit card connected to my accounti use paypal for the service. This is really really annoying, is there anything i can do to have that not pop...
  9. It looks like you don’t have any applicable devices linked to your Microsoft account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    It looks like you don’t have any applicable devices linked to your Microsoft account: Just purchased a new Windows 10 Home/Student edition. Signed in with my Microsoft 365 account. When I try to download an app from the app store and use the elipsis next to the "Install" button, it says "It looks like you don’t have any applicable devices linked to your...
  10. It looks like you don’t have any applicable devices linked to your Microsoft account. To...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It looks like you don’t have any applicable devices linked to your Microsoft account. To...: How do I add a device/computer so that I can install the game? What do I have to do, and please provide the steps for both PC and Mac, and Mac Pro. Thanks!...