Windows 10: Items on desktop appearing on whichever display I don't have set to be my main display

Discus and support Items on desktop appearing on whichever display I don't have set to be my main display in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After installing some software and doing some updates on directX and stuff, somehow all of the items on my desktop got switch to my external display.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/zlaxxor, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Items on desktop appearing on whichever display I don't have set to be my main display

After installing some software and doing some updates on directX and stuff, somehow all of the items on my desktop got switch to my external display. If i go into display settings and set the external monitor as my main display, the items get switched back to my laptop screen. So yeah, the items on my desktop are behaving the exact opposite way as they should. They should be on my main display. I can't even bring them back there by dragging and dropping. Any idea how to fix this program?

submitted by /u/zlaxxor
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/zlaxxor, Nov 16, 2020
  2. Salsanita Win User

Can´t display the desktop

I cannot display my desktop Windows and D doesn´t work and i don´t have a display desktop option when I go to the task bar. Think I might go back to windows 8!!

Salsanita, Nov 16, 2020
  3. Display settings

Hi Julia,

To reset the settings back to default, follow these steps:

• Go to your desktop, right click and select Display Settings.
    • Choose the appropriate settings from the options under Display.

Let us know if the above steps resolved the issue.

Venancio Khu, Nov 16, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Items on desktop appearing on whichever display I don't have set to be my main display

Driver and/or display problem (AMD)

Try this:

• Right click on a blank area of your desktop and select "Display Properties"
    • Select "Advanced Display Settings"
    • Select "Display Adapter Properties"
    • Click on "List all Modes"
    • Select the preferred display mode. Something with at least 60Hz.
    • Then select your setting you want
    • See if the option came back

95Viper, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

Items on desktop appearing on whichever display I don't have set to be my main display

1. Items on desktop appearing on whichever display I don't have set to be my main display - Similar Threads - Items desktop appearing

2. Icons appearing on extended display instead of main display Windows 11 v22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons appearing on extended display instead of main display Windows 11 v22H2: Hello everyone, One of our user is facing issue with display settings. All of his icons are appearing on extended display. We checked the display properties and set the extended display as main display and rolled back.Cleared the iconcache IconCache.db under the folder...
  3. Icons appearing on extended display instead of main display Windows 11 v22H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons appearing on extended display instead of main display Windows 11 v22H2: Hello everyone, One of our user is facing issue with display settings. All of his icons are appearing on extended display. We checked the display properties and set the extended display as main display and rolled back.Cleared the iconcache IconCache.db under the folder...
  4. There are no startup items to display; Startup items not appearing in Task Manager

in Windows 10 News
    There are no startup items to display; Startup items not appearing in Task Manager: [ATTACH]If Startup apps are not appearing in the Task Manager & you see a message There are no startup items to display then this post is sure to help you. This issue can occur if the Startup folder or the Common Startup folder, which are Windows OS folders, have got...
  5. Display settings don't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display settings don't work: When I open Settings on my PC, all settings work fine except Display settings. Whenever i click on that box showing Display,Sound, Notifications, Power it just hangs for 3-4 seconds and then closes the settings app. Why? It never allows me to change settings regarding...
  6. I don't have the brightness/color sider in my system/display settings?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    I don't have the brightness/color sider in my system/display settings?: Tonight I received my very first BSOD Now called "StopCode" since I first installed Windows 10 several years ago. I did some research on the code it gave me and it was related to my Nvidia driver. A few days ago I got a pop-up telling me there was a new driver available but I...
  7. Intel Graphics and Windows Display Settings - Different Main Displays?

Intel Graphics and Windows Display Settings - Different Main Displays?: so my office dual monitor pc setup has been up and running for years, with the "main display" (#1) always showing on the correct monitor, regardless if the other display (extended #2) is on, off, or set to different resolutions, it's always been rock solid, i.e. main display...
  8. Intel Graphics and Windows Display Settings - Different Main Displays?

in Windows 10 Support
    Intel Graphics and Windows Display Settings - Different Main Displays?: so my office dual monitor pc setup has been up and running for years, with the "main display" (#1) always showing on the correct monitor, regardless if the other display (extended #2) is on, off, or set to different resolutions, it's always been rock solid, i.e. main display...
  9. Display settings don't work

Display settings don't work: I go to the desktop. Right click select Display Settings Click on Advanced Display Options. I get a window with a big 1 on top. And three gray buttons that say: 1.) 1366 x 768 (Recommended) v 2.) Apply 3.) Cancel None of these buttons do anything. Clicking ,...
  10. Taskbar, DO NOT DISPLAY on Main Display

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar, DO NOT DISPLAY on Main Display: Hello. With Win8 and Win10, there seems to be better support for multiple monitors. However, I've been having difficulty with one thing in particular: getting the main taskbar to display on a non-primary monitor. In fact, ideally, I'd rather just not have the taskbar on the...