Windows 10: It's Backup Season Again

Discus and support It's Backup Season Again in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; It's almost the end of the summer season. It's time to image my PCs again. This is also a reminder to all who have not done so. And while you are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by badrobot, Sep 8, 2014.

1. badrobot Win User

It's Backup Season Again

It's almost the end of the summer season.
    It's time to image my PCs again. This is also a reminder to all who have not done so. And while you are waiting for Win 9 to arrive, start backing up you system now. It will come in handy specially to those who are planning to do a dual boot. Don't wait. Just do it! *Smile

It's Backup Season Again [​IMG]

:)

badrobot, Sep 8, 2014

2. Error message?

It must be holiday season again!

PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 8, 2014
  3. bodotdot1 Win User
    Install of build 1509 stuck during reboot

Thanks so much for your reply. I will perform the backups you described and then attempt a reinstall of v.1509 via the Media Creation Tool. I have this thread bookmarked and will revisit all of this once the holiday season is over.

Thank you again for your help and you'll hear from me soon. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

bodotdot1, Sep 8, 2014
  4. A Guy Win User

It's Backup Season Again

Lol, I make 2 Acronis, and one Paragon (backup backup) backup image every weekend *Wink

A Guy, Sep 8, 2014
  5. badrobot Win User
    I don't change my system settings a lot nor install a lot of programs. I don't really need to image that often.
    My files are backed up separately on NAS and external drives.

badrobot, Sep 8, 2014
  6. A Guy Win User
    Weird font problem. Browser won't load email suddenly. Can't connect to internet. Restore to last image, at worst it's 1 week old. Great peace of mind *Wink

A Guy, Sep 8, 2014
  7. echrada Win User
    Back ups are one of the most important things you can do for yourself. Otherwise it leads to lots of heartaches.

echrada, Sep 8, 2014
  8. cipher Win User

It's Backup Season Again

Always a good reminder, badrobot. :smile:

For home I just back up my data on an external drive, then take it into work (my simple disaster recovery plan).

For work, I back up my data on a network drive that's backed up multiple times a day (off site). And I use Acronis to make a complete image of my system on an external drive. While at home I don't mind a clean install of Windows, at work it can be a pain since I have my development environment tweaked so much.

cipher, Sep 8, 2014
  9. Mooly Win User
    Daily Acronis incremental for me. Acronis is the most important single program I have installed.

Yes, its a good reminder. These days there is no excuse for not backing up your system image.

Mooly, Sep 8, 2014
  10. badrobot Win User
    Something is not right with your system. Unless you probably do a long term solution like clean install (I know it's a very painful truth to some of us), then you may not need to do image every week then. But if your system works for you, then forget what I just said. *Smile

Personally, I prefer reverting back to a "clean install image". I do have it as a primary backup. But I also do quarterly backups. So, I have two image backups... a clean version and a "recent" version.

As for my Win 8 PC, I have a clean backup for both Win 8 and Win 8.1. ("Clean backup" is just a system image right after a clean installation.)

I use macrium free edition for image backups. I have a Macrium bootable rescue USB for both Win 7 and Win 8.1. Very easy to use also. But I also have Acronis Pro version.

badrobot, Sep 8, 2014
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I learned about the importance of disaster recovery at work many years ago and I carried those concepts over to my own PC usage.

Right now I have two drives, one for the OS/Programs and one for the data. And I use DVD's for backup and the cloud for even more backup.

I really don't want to have a disaster that I can't recover from!
    Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, Sep 8, 2014
  12. badrobot Win User
    Exactly!

On my 2 desktop PCs, I have 2 copies of the same OS. One on cloned SSD which is the primary boot drive and one on the HDD (original installation) which also serves as a data drive.
    So if anything happens, and I am in the middle of something, I will just switch to the other drive and carry on and deal with the problem on the other OS later.

And in case of an unfortunate data loss disaster... my ultimate weapon is the MiniTool Power Data Recovery... it saved my life twice already! *Smile

badrobot, Sep 8, 2014
  13. LittleJay Win User

It's Backup Season Again

I use Macrium Reflect to create system images before I make any changes to the system, like just prior to running Windows Updates, or installing new software. I have a fair number of HDD's, so I like to save new images on at least three separate drives in case one of them fails.

LittleJay, Sep 8, 2014
  14. A Guy Win User
    Nope, nothing wrong with my system, haven't reinstalled in more then a year. But things do happen. Rather then investigate the cause, a known good image is an easier fix. The weekly backups take maybe a 1/2 hour total, and I just carry on with what I'm doing, so no hassle. And as I say, great peace of mind. I have seen so many posts from people who say they have a backup image, but it's x months old. With all the tweaks I have made over time, programs won in contests and giveaways, etc. a clean install is not a #1 option.

A Guy, Sep 9, 2014
  15. My backup seasons are one heck of a lot shorter. I also use Macrium Reflect Free (here is a good tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect) to image my boot drive once a week and just before I make any changes. It takes a hair less than ten minutes to make the image and verify it (it's all one operation so I just set it and forget it. I save my images to my main data drive (which gets backed up so the images also get backed up).

I use FreeFileSync to backup my data drives. It's a folder/file syncing program and is much faster than imaging (unfortunately, it can't be used to backup system files); so much faster, in fact, I can do daily backups of my main data drive. I keep two identical backup drives at home (and backup to both of them daily) and two more in a safe deposit box at my credit union which get swapped out with the two at home at least once a month.

I also backup my data to Carbonite. It costs only $60/year—that's only $5/month—and, imho, is cheap insurance for my data.

Lady Fitzgerald, Sep 9, 2014
Thema:

It's Backup Season Again

1. It's Backup Season Again - Similar Threads - Backup Season Again

2. Missing seasons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing seasons: I'm trying to the other seasons of the anime fairy tail, it says there is 27 seasons however it only showing me seasons 8 and 9, including the three seasons I already own. Is there any way to get the other seasons? * Moved from Community Center...
  3. Missing seasons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing seasons: I'm trying to the other seasons of the anime fairy tail, it says there is 27 seasons however it only showing me seasons 8 and 9, including the three seasons I already own. Is there any way to get the other seasons? * Moved from Community Center...
  4. Dungeons season pass not updated

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Dungeons season pass not updated: Hi! I had recentley gotten the mc dungeons season pass. All 4 dlcs provided have come put, but only howling peaks and flames of the nether are on my device. I checked the season pass, and in the bundle, only the howling peaks and flames of the nether were there! Can anyone...
  5. minecraft dungeons season pass

minecraft dungeons season pass: i bought minecraft dungeons on its release with the hero edition and stopped playing for a while and now i saw there was a season pass so i went and bought it today with the same account as my mojang and micrsoft account through the microsoft store and now it wont show up in...
  6. Modern Family Season 11

Modern Family Season 11: If i google the new season of modern family, season 11, it shows the newest episode which is episode 15, but i have bought the season pass but only shows to episode 14. I know the episodes are still being released but i dont get why i dont have access to it...
  7. again File History backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    again File History backup: Hi, last month I initiated the thread about my problems with File History backup and got advices and suggestions. I never succeeded to make it work automatically. And did it by clicking Backup Now every day. By end of December I had an option to access the machine during few...
  8. Season 10 the walking dead

Season 10 the walking dead: Why can’t i find the walking dead tv show for uk but i can find it for the us in the microsoft film and tv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/season-10-the-walking-dead/096a8179-dc10-4e37-9f1e-412fd4e17f30"
  9. Free DBZ Season error

Free DBZ Season error: Season 1 of DBZ is free but can't seem to be able to get it, tried yesterday and today but keep getting the same error. Been getting this message: Try that againSomething happened on our end. Waiting a bit might help. PUR-DocumentNotFound ZXpMDxJo/UWZ93w7.0.0.16.5...
  10. Seasonal updates and 32GB devices

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Seasonal updates and 32GB devices: @NavyLCDR Lol, gave me a good laugh there, thanks *Smile