Windows 10: It's recommended to have a pagefile, so why is there an option to disable it?

Discus and support It's recommended to have a pagefile, so why is there an option to disable it? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is it for security purposes, i.e. some people wish to turn it off as another measure, or can there be other reasons?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ste338729, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ste338729 Win User

It's recommended to have a pagefile, so why is there an option to disable it?

Is it for security purposes, i.e. some people wish to turn it off as another measure, or can there be other reasons?

:)

Ste338729, Dec 27, 2018

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Dec 27, 2018
  3. How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive

How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive.

You should get a certified ReadyBoost USB 2.0 or higher TD for faster speed transfer.

To use ReadyBoost in Windows 10, make sure that SuperFetch is enabled. ReadyBoost won't work if the SuperFetch service is stopped or disabled.

Go to THIS PC and right click the thumb drive and FORMAT>QUICK NTFS.

Now select properties.

Then select READY BOOST TAB.

Now set it up so you can use it for pagefile.

It's recommended to have a pagefile, so why is there an option to disable it? cec0b811-bed2-4573-9dc7-b359e9a3a1fc?upload=true.jpg

Now Restart PC

Go to pagefile and set it up and send it to another fresh formatted TD. After you set the pagefile, Restart PC again.

***To change or move the Pagefile go to:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System>>

(OR)

Right Click THIS PC on desktop.

Advanced System Settings

Performance>>Settings

Advanced>>Change

Uncheck - Top Box

Select pagefile location in list.

Custom - Min. 64MB - Max ???

OR

System Managed Size. (Recommended)

Set, Ok, Apply, OK, Apply, OK.

Restart PC

Now I have not used this in 10 years (Ready Boost), and actually forgot all about it until it just hit me.

ENJOY!

seahawks65, Dec 27, 2018
  4. Solaris17 Win User

SSD for the pagefile?

BS it has been proven before that the system will use the page file for ANYTHING cache related with ANY program before it uses the ram. The system does this on purpose to make sure their is sufficent ram to run the applications processes. that is why when disabling/shrinking the pagefile more ram is used (depending on what is cached*) and also why it is reccomended to have 4+GB.

Solaris17, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

1. It's recommended to have a pagefile, so why is there an option to disable it? - Similar Threads - recommended pagefile why

2. Why don't I have to option to change app recommendation settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why don't I have to option to change app recommendation settings?: Every forum i'm seeing is saying that there is a drop-down menu to change the app recommendation settings but that drop-down menu does not exist in my app settings. Is there a step i am missing to have this option? HELP! I need chrome lol...
  3. Why don't I have to option to change app recommendation settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why don't I have to option to change app recommendation settings?: Every forum i'm seeing is saying that there is a drop-down menu to change the app recommendation settings but that drop-down menu does not exist in my app settings. Is there a step i am missing to have this option? HELP! I need chrome lol...
  4. why hibernate option disabled by default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why hibernate option disabled by default: Hi Team,I would like to know why hibernate option is disabled by default in windows 10 & 11. Earlier it used to be enabled before win 7. Is there any negative impact of enabling it?...
  5. why hibernate option disabled by default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why hibernate option disabled by default: Hi Team,I would like to know why hibernate option is disabled by default in windows 10 & 11. Earlier it used to be enabled before win 7. Is there any negative impact of enabling it?...
  6. so i dont have these options and i dont know why.

in Windows 10 Customization
    so i dont have these options and i dont know why.: ok, so i need to center my taskbar for reasons and i am using links rclick/toolbars/links and centering it manually. i am unable to find a hide labels button when i rclick the taskbar. pls help...
  7. Why was my "system managed" pagefile so small?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why was my "system managed" pagefile so small?: I have been trying to sort out a performance issue on my HP desktop Windows computer. Various windows were giving not responding messages and I noted that the memory utilisation at these times was over 95%. I am not at all clear about why it was that high - I was mostly only...
  8. Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile?: I was told to disable these because I have an SSD for Windows. Is that still a recommended practice? I'm getting mixed (and old) opinions when I Google it. submitted by /u/Sympatoo [link] [comments]...
  9. Why does Windows 10 recommend so much hardware

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Windows 10 recommend so much hardware: Hi folks I'm at a loss to understand why these days Windows 10 always recommends so much hardware --even on a moderate laptop (I'm addressing this to typical users not Gamers / extreme developers etc). Ms has improved the performance of the OS hugely in recent releases...
  10. Should I disable the pagefile?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I disable the pagefile?: Just curious if I have enough memory to disable the pagefile without causing any harm?? [img] I have no idea how this happened! It's an older laptop that hasn't been booted in a year or so. It really has 8 GB of system memory, but apparently, Windows 7 forgot the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pagefile yes or not