Windows 10: It's time to start cleaning up after yourselves

Discus and support It's time to start cleaning up after yourselves in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been a Windows user sense the internet came to Sweden. It wasn't until Windows 8 that I became a fan. Today, on Windows 10 I'm quite happy. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by blackkatt911, Jun 25, 2019.

1. It's time to start cleaning up after yourselves

I've been a Windows user sense the internet came to Sweden. It wasn't until Windows 8 that I became a fan.

Today, on Windows 10 I'm quite happy. It's extremely stable, can't even remember the last time I had a BSOD or a meeting with mr Freeze. And I do changes, experiment, install this and that, sometimes daily. Haven't had to re-installed Win 10 ones.

The point of this feedback is to bring to focus a certain type of behavior, a way of thinking if you will, that in my opinion might be a big part, perhaps the root cause to most bugs arisen sense Windows 10’s aggressive update circle started. And I’m gonna try explaining why that might be..

Over the years I've gotten to know miss W quite well. I spend about 12 hours everyday in front of the computer and done so since forever. I’m retired so got all the time in the world.

Now let’s begin with these below. All of them part of MMC (Microsoft Management Console)

Admin tools:

• Device Manager

• Event Viewer

• Task Scheduler

• Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security

Most of them unable to save either window size/location. So with every use you have to resize then move the window and If any tabs like in Task Scheduler resize them as well. Aldoe if you hover for a while a tooltip displays the full name but that’s beside the point.

If this is by design or simply laziness would be fun to know. In any case, this is my first point I like to make. Nothing has been done about this since time began. Correct me if I’m wrong. But aren’t the Admin tools there to save time when you need to fix things? Well time is wasting every time I have to resize and move. (That’s why I have an app for that It's time to start cleaning up after yourselves ;)

On to my next point.

Windows is the worst cleaner ever! It’s like hiring your sisters 12 year old boy named Lazy to clean your apartment. When you get home it looks about the same as when you left.

Installing applications:

• Installing an app is super easy for miss W. The installer informs Windows what to do.

• Uninstalling on the other hand, buuu, I don’t want too, I don’t know where everything is.

12 years old and mom tells you, clean your room! Like the flash it’s done, after an hour of nagging ofc. Everything in one corner or under the bed and forgotten about...

Windows seem to have the same mentality. If you ever checked the registry after uninstalling an app? There’s always some traces left behind. Folders with some files remaining often left behind. Services and startup entries are sometimes left behind as well.

Most of the time it makes no difference whatsoever regarding performance or functionality of Windows, but...

In time things start to add up. As I said earlier I haven’t reinstalled Windows 10 ever. I normally only clean the registry by hand if I have too, But recently I decided to checkout if any registry cleaners out there had become safe to use. I found one and it found over 10k registry garbage entries that include. Links to removed/unavailable apps, files, dll’s, files associations and firewall rules for non existing, or at one point, native apps in Windows.

To give you an example “C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehshell.exe”, if you recall Windows Media Center. Ehshell.exe don’t exist anymore but firewall rules and other *blip* do, at this stage there's so much old stuff left behind that’s either hidden or redirected. Are you guys starting to seeing where I’m getting at?

To summarize

• Every time an app is installed Windows should trace everything, so it can later remove everything...

• When updating/replacing Windows components. Replace it don’t hide/bury it. It will come back and bite you in the ... An example might be Windows Explorer that’s no longer a browser according to Microsoft. But still there now posing a security risk I recently read.

I might be wrong. I’m no programmer so what do I know? But what I do know is...

Being lazy not cleaning up after yourself sooner or later the pile of **** will bury you and at this point it's impossible to isolate what thing is causing the other thing to malfunction. And if you think I’m some dude that doesn't have a dust particle in his apartment, you couldn't be further from the truth hahaha.

Other then that, keep up the good work and fix The Bluetooth driver that keeps telling me I don’t have LE support when I do but probably need to use the driver that came with, that doesn't work! (bangs head in the wall)

:)

blackkatt911, Jun 25, 2019

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jun 25, 2019
  3. Toothless Win User
    Silent boot failure

List your specs out and tell us each step in cleaning you did.

Toothless, Jun 25, 2019
  4. It's time to start cleaning up after yourselves

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

It's time to start cleaning up after yourselves

1. It's time to start cleaning up after yourselves - Similar Threads - start cleaning yourselves

2. Windows start up times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows start up times: Hello!I have recently been experiencing a problem with my boot up. The boot up seems to be stuck at the loading screen with the windows logo and the dots made of circles. it takes about 2 minutes poss more to get to the log in screen.Can anyone help with this? JB...
  3. Windows start up times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows start up times: Hello!I have recently been experiencing a problem with my boot up. The boot up seems to be stuck at the loading screen with the windows logo and the dots made of circles. it takes about 2 minutes poss more to get to the log in screen.Can anyone help with this? JB...
  4. Windows start up times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't start up after resseting window 10 by troubleshooting with cleaning driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't start up after resseting window 10 by troubleshooting with cleaning driver: So the past two days ago, I reset my computer on troubleshooting instead of reset factory on settings section ,and I did the reset the window with deep clean on my driver as well which is erase every data inside my HDD. Then after the reinstall window, I'm at starting menu...
  6. Clean up files after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean up files after Upgrade: Split from this thread. Can anyone help WhenI update windows 7 to windows 10 I encounter some problem so I came back to windows 10but there are some files which are from windows 10 what to do about that it is taking my disk space tell me, please...
  7. Weird behaviour after clean start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird behaviour after clean start: Hey, I've been having issues with Win10pc - v. high memory usage and unresponsive for 10 mins after waking up - so I ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool from this site and then followed the Clean Boot instructions it contains. I now have some weird behaviour: My PC won't...
  8. clean up start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    clean up start menu: My start menu is filled with links to applications I never use, like Map, Camera, Mixed Reality Portal, etc. I've looked in the file structure %appdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu but I can't find any actual shortcuts for these apps. Are there a way to clean up the start...
  9. disk clean-up changed start/desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    disk clean-up changed start/desktop: My inexpensive Toshiba convertible laptop just keeps running slower and slower, so Tuesday I read somewhere about Disk Clean-up (C-Net?) and tried using it. I hoped that since data was promised not to be lost, I could safely go the extra step of running a system clean-up...
  10. Cleaning up the mess after upgrading and crashing a few times.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cleaning up the mess after upgrading and crashing a few times.: I do believe it was in this forum I received a bit of advice on how to stablize my computer a few months back. Well, it's all good now. Now I need to clean up the mess that's been left behind upgrading Windows 8.1 to 10 2-3 times having that crash, then thanks to everyone...