Windows 10: iTunes 12 only starts with "run as administrator" ?

Discus and support iTunes 12 only starts with "run as administrator" ? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This complaint appears on many forums. The two most common solutions are to change running in compatibility mode (when accidentally set to run in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Randysea, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Randysea Win User

iTunes 12 only starts with "run as administrator" ?

This complaint appears on many forums. The two most common solutions are to change running in compatibility mode (when accidentally set to run in Windows 7 mode) or disabling Bluetooth. Neither work for everyone, and disabling BT is a non-starter for many.

Now, here is something really bizarre that I have not seen mentioned. My wife has this problem on her Dell XPS 13. I do not have it on my Panasonic Toughbook CF-SX2. Both of us have Windows 10 with all the latest updates. My version is Pro; hers is Home.

The big difference is that I log on as a User !! I am never prompted for an admin logon and iTunes just runs as expected. My wife logs on as an Admin and she always has to "run iTunes as an admin."

I am assuming I'm in the security-conscious minority who almost always logs on with a User account. Most people stick with the default, which is their main (and probably only) account, which has full admin privileges.

I am guessing that the percentage of tenforums users who work as I do may be higher than general users. I wonder what your experience is with iTunes.

:)

Randysea, Sep 10, 2018

2. Cannot install iTunes

Hello,

What version of Windows are you using?

Did you follow the steps for uninstalling iTunes? If not, do so now.

Right click on Start > Select Control Panel > Uninstall Programs

Uninstall all of these applications

• iTunes Software
    • Quicktime
    • Apple Software Update
    • Apple Mobile Support
    • Bonjour (especially Bonjour, the most problematic and most difficult component to remove properly! )
    • Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)
    • iPhone (if you have it loaded)
    • and anything else related to iTunes — that’s the tough part where you need to be very careful
    iTunes should be uninstalled in this process of elimination. Reboot the computer.

To install iTunes, follow these steps.

Step one - download the icloud control panel (do not install yet)

Step two - Run the installer as an administrator by right clicking the installer and running as administrator

Step three - after the install finishes, DO NOT reboot

Step four - run the apple software update program and install iTunes from there.

Step five - Reboot, and enjoy

Smittychat., Sep 10, 2018
  3. iTunes not opening in Windows10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I appreciate that you have tried a few troubleshooting steps. Let me help you.

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the details.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• Since when did the issue started happening?

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen?

I would suggest you to install the iTunes as an administrator, right click on iTunes and click on “Run as the Administrator”. Check if that helps.

If the issue persists, run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

I hope the issue will be resolved. Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Sep 10, 2018
  4. iTunes 12 only starts with "run as administrator" ?

Itunes not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to install the iTunes as an administrator, right click on iTunes and click on “Run as the Administartor”. Check if that helps.

If the issue persists, run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.

• Select “Run as Administrator”.

• Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Sep 10, 2018
Thema:

iTunes 12 only starts with "run as administrator" ?

1. iTunes 12 only starts with "run as administrator" ? - Similar Threads - iTunes starts run

2. The specific app runs only if I run it as an administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The specific app runs only if I run it as an administrator: I have a TAC app from IBM and installed it recently for a user. If I double-click on the icon, nothing happens, but if I choose to run it as administrator, it will run. Can anyone advise me on how I can solve the issue?...
  3. The specific app runs only if I run it as an administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The specific app runs only if I run it as an administrator: I have a TAC app from IBM and installed it recently for a user. If I double-click on the icon, nothing happens, but if I choose to run it as administrator, it will run. Can anyone advise me on how I can solve the issue?...
  4. Commands can only be run in administrator mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Commands can only be run in administrator mode: Hi, I'm the sole user of my computer, and my account type is Administrator. I've recently been trying to use pyspark. Apart from the fact that I can't get it working anyway, one of the issues I'm finding is that when running 'pyspark' in command prompt when it is loaded...
  5. Programs "Run as Administrator" ONLY will not run from the Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs "Run as Administrator" ONLY will not run from the Desktop: I've just noticed this - I have a few programs that should only be run as an Admin - they have the blue/yellow shield. I In the past I right clicked and ran these from the desktop as an administrator - no problem, Now all of a sudden I find that I can only run these programs...
  6. iTunes Start Error

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    iTunes Start Error: I installed iTunes on my laptop and desktop from the Microsoft Store. When I open iTunes on my laptop, I get the following error from Event Viewer: Faulting application name: iTunes.exe, version: 12.10.9.3, time stamp: 0x5f5980d2 Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version:...
  7. FL Studio only starts in administrator mode

FL Studio only starts in administrator mode: FL Studio only starts in administrator mode and even if I select properties then click to disable opening it as an admin I still cannot start it without it automatically starting in administrator mode. Could someone please help?...
  8. iTunes on taskbar only

iTunes on taskbar only: Hello, Until two weeks ago my iTunes was running fine. I kept it in maximum view so I could see song titles and other information. However, now it is a mini player on my taskbar only and I've been unable to restore it to normal. This mini player is too small and I can't...
  9. Starting a program without running it as administrator

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Starting a program without running it as administrator: I just installed Photoshop CS6 and whenever I want to open it, it requires administration and I have to click "yes". Is there a way to stop this? The program seems like it's set to always run as administrator since there's a shield icon on it. But the option in the properties...
  10. Running iTunes on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running iTunes on Windows 10: Running itues on Windows 10 has been flawless for years. Then, a series of issues: Computer doesn't recognize iPod, will not sync, iTunes won't let me edit some settings, etc. The iPods will charge fine, when plugged into USB, a folder opens. Identical problems on two...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. itunes only runs as administrator