Windows 10: ITunes stop playing when display goes to sleep - Win 10

Discus and support ITunes stop playing when display goes to sleep - Win 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just discovered a fix to a silly problem that I want to share. I also want to know why it happens in the first place. I have a new Lenovo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ken DL 55, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Ken DL 55 Win User

ITunes stop playing when display goes to sleep - Win 10

I just discovered a fix to a silly problem that I want to share. I also want to know why it happens in the first place.

I have a new Lenovo desktop running a fresh install of Windows 10 and newly downloaded iTunes. The computer is essentially a music server connected to my home theater / home audio system. The audio is transferred digitally from the PC to the audio system via a Displayport-to-HDMI connection.

This setup was working fine except that iTunes would mysteriously stop after a few minutes. I wasn't sitting at the computer when this happens. After a bunch of trial and error, I figured out the problem. In Windows 10, the display was set to go to sleep after 5 minutes. Not the whole computer, just the display, and while plugged in. On a desktop, this is silly, but that's the way it was. It turns out that when the display went to sleep, iTunes would just stop playing. It didn't crash, it just stopped. The only fix was to stop and restart iTunes.

My fix of course is to tell Windows not to put the display to sleep. This wastes power, but iTunes is happy. Why does iTunes stop when the display goes to sleep?

I can also force this to happen another way. If I turn on another speaker zone in the home theater receiver, iTunes stops. This other zone is recognized by Windows as a separate audio playback device, and it will play through both zones. But it I switch one of the zones on or off, iTunes stalls. Perhaps this is a clue.

:)

Ken DL 55, Nov 19, 2018
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

iTunes stops playing when the computer go to sleep

Hi Ross,

Sleep mode is designed to stop all actions on a computer as it puts the device to a low-power state. Since you want to continue using a program even while your computer is locked, we suggest turning off Sleep mode by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click System.
    • Choose Power & Sleep from the left pane.
    • Under Sleep, choose Never.

ITunes stop playing when display goes to sleep - Win 10 a56ef514-cf53-4631-8917-a239182dc84a.png

Let us know if you have any other concerns about your computer.

Yolvi Ell, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Music stops playing when monitor goes to sleep

I am also not happy with this answer, as it doesn't even address the issue raised.

The issue is not that it is stopping playing when the computer goes to sleep (which it does of course), but it is that it stops playing when the screen is turned off for power management reasons.

I have been down the setting and it's set to high performance settings and it's set to turn nothing off apart from the screen. The question is why would power management turning the screen off cause an app to go to sleep and stop playing?

DaveSmith_990, Nov 19, 2018
  4. ITunes stop playing when display goes to sleep - Win 10

Music stops playing when monitor goes to sleep

Ok, I don't know if it is just my old computer (that I keep upgrading) but using Groove Music, when the monitor goes to sleep, the music stops. I can use Media Player or Zune and it will continue playing after the monitor goes to sleep, like it is supposed
    to, but Groove Music stops playing. As soon as I use the mouse or touch the keyboard, it starts again. But why does it stop in the first place? Is there a setting I am missing?

Leanna H-F, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

ITunes stop playing when display goes to sleep - Win 10

1. ITunes stop playing when display goes to sleep - Win 10 - Similar Threads - ITunes stop playing

2. Display settings not saved when laptop goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display settings not saved when laptop goes to sleep: I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop connected to two old Dell monitors that I've configured for extended display. I can get everything set up exactly the way I want it, but when I "wake up" the laptop after it has gone to sleep, the display settings are often not retained....
  3. Display settings not saved when laptop goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display settings not saved when laptop goes to sleep: I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop connected to two old Dell monitors that I've configured for extended display. I can get everything set up exactly the way I want it, but when I "wake up" the laptop after it has gone to sleep, the display settings are often not retained....
  4. Windows 11: Display goes to sleep when it is set to never

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: Display goes to sleep when it is set to never: I have tried changing the power settings and restarting them to default. I have tried restarting the pc while changing the power settings as suggested, but still haven't reached or found a solution. Please help......
  5. Win 10 version 2004: PC plays device disconnected sound when monitor goes to sleep -...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 version 2004: PC plays device disconnected sound when monitor goes to sleep -...: My current PC is a new build October 2020 on new hardware, specifically an i7-9700K with integrated Intel video controller. I was aware of the problems with update 2004 and integrated video controllers before I did the build so I started with version 1909 and waited until...
  6. Windows Laptop Goes to Sleep When Playing League on Secondary Display with Lid Closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Laptop Goes to Sleep When Playing League on Secondary Display with Lid Closed: I have an HP spectre x360. When I play League of Legends on the secondary display with the lid closed, the laptop goes to sleep. I have changed the power settings and set the action of "when I close the lid" to "do nothing" for both on battery and plugged in. I do not have...
  7. PC goes to sleep when Groove is still playing music

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC goes to sleep when Groove is still playing music: When I use Spotify, as long as I'm playing music, the computer stays on. Whenever I use Groove Music however, the PC will still go into it's auto-rest, despite still playing music. Is there anything I can do about that? submitted by /u/hafuhafu [link] [comments]...
  8. Computer goes to sleep when stop typing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer goes to sleep when stop typing: My computer goes to sleep in two minutes when I stop typing. I have to relog several times a day. It is really very annoying. Please suggest a troubleshooting method...
  9. Services stopping when computer goes into Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Services stopping when computer goes into Sleep Mode: I recently upgraded all clients in my office to Windows 10. I have had issues with one client stopping a service when in Sleep mode. The service is for EDI integration. The problem is that once the user is back in, the service shows that it is running, however it is not....
  10. Second display goes to sleep.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second display goes to sleep.: I have an older system with duel monitors operating on windows 10. The second monitor goes to sleep during boot up and is not detected in display settings. This has happend in past windows updates, but was always dectected and therefore recoverabl...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. itunes pauses when computer sleeps

2. windows itunes stops on sleep

3. phone stops playing when screen goes to sleep

4. iTunes stops when screen sleeps,
  5. will itunes stop playing when pc goes to sleep?,
  6. itunes goes to sleep,
  7. how can i make itunes stop playing full screen video,
  8. prevent winsows 10 from going to sleep when itunes is playing,
  9. itunes stops playing on sleep windows 10,
  10. windows itunes stops playing