Windows 10: iTunes won't connect to my iTunes Media directory

Discus and support iTunes won't connect to my iTunes Media directory in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Really could use some help here. I have been running iTunes for Windows for years now. Never had a problem with an iTunes update. Just before I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dmcmillen, Dec 18, 2019.

1. dmcmillen Win User

iTunes won't connect to my iTunes Media directory

Really could use some help here. I have been running iTunes for Windows for years now. Never had a problem with an iTunes update. Just before I upgraded from W7 to W10 (12/9), I upgraded iTunes from 12.10.0.7 to 12.10.2.3. Instead of maintaining my iTunes Media directory (E:\iTunes\iTunes Media) like it has for every other upgrade, it upgraded like a new install and created a new iTunes Media directory (C: \Users\<username>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media), the default music library location. If I tried to change the iTunes Media directory to my real location (E:\iTunes\iTunes Media) it did nothing and exiting from the program and rerunning iTunes, the iTunes Media directory was set back to C: \Users\<username>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media.

I tabled the problem until I upgraded the desktop to W10 (1909) and still had the same problem. Last night I upgraded iTunes from the MS Store to 12.10.3.1 and still the same problem. No matter what I've tried iTunes will not allow me to change the iTunes Media directory (preferences/advanced). Deleting the C: \Users\<username>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media directories does no good. iTunes just recreates it. I've got over 30gb of music, audio, etc. All of my devices backup history is gone. Well it's all there, just can't get iTunes to point to it.

Also wish I hadn't upgraded via the MS Store; installed it like in a fortress. Installed into C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and with the security settings where I as an administrator can't do anything but read and execute.

Would appreciate some help here.

:)

dmcmillen, Dec 18, 2019

2. Windows 10 and iTunes

Hi Tony,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

What is the complete message that you get when you locate the music files?

Try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1:
    Back up and restore your iTunes Library.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in

Back up and restore your iTunes Library
    restart the computer once after making the changes, and check if this helps.

Method 2:
    Properly Set up iTunes' Directory Structure.

Step 1: Ensure the iTunes library is properly located by going to the
    Advanced section of the iTunes preferences and selecting the
    Importing tab.

Step 2: Select
    Change and locate your iTunes Music folder in the resulting window.

Step 3: If the iTunes Music folder should be in the default location in the user's Music directory, clicking the
    Reset button should correct any path errors for the library.

Method 3:
    Rebuild The iTunes Library.

Step 1: Select all of the songs in iTunes and press the delete key.

Step 2: Choose the option to keep all the song files themselves and when the iTunes window is empty, open iTunes Music directory and select all items
    in that directory.

Step 3: Drag them to the iTunes window and confirm the import.

Step 4:
    Restart the computer once after the import and check for the issue.

Method 4:
    Move All The Music On Your Operating System Drive.

If the above methods didn't work, then try moving all the music files onto your Operating System Drive and then add them to iTunes.

For reference, you may also refer to
    Import media from a computer to iTunes on PC
    and

If you don't see your entire library after you update iTunes on your Mac or PC
    and see if this helps.

If you are still facing the issue, then I would suggest you to contact

Apple Support
    , where you will be able to get the support for the issue that you are facing.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Dec 18, 2019
  3. hapkiman Win User
    itunes library

This is the method I have used several times on my wife's computers is to just copy the iTunes Media folder. This contains all the movies and music you have in iTunes.

Just go to File Explorer > Music > iTunes > iTunes Media. Copy the whole iTunes Media folder to a USB drive (*warning* depending upon how much media you have on your drive, this folder could be quite large, so make sure you have a good 16-32GB USB flash drive. I used a USB 3.0 Adata 64GB jump drive as my wife has almost 60GB of stuff!). Then go make a cup of coffee and eat a donut because it takes a minute.

After you have all the data on the flash drive, set it aside and do your drive upgrade. Then just re-download iTunes to your new harddrive and drag the iTunes Media folder from your jump drive to replace the empty new iTunes media folder you just downloaded.

Simple and works like a charm.

hapkiman, Dec 18, 2019
  4. Misiowiec Win User

Controlling iTunes (or other media apps) wirelessly

Anyone know if there's a remote for controlling iTunes wirelessly? There are various remotes for iPods and so on, but I can't find anything for iTunes.

This will be for my friends computer as she plays everything though iTunes. If it's good I'd like to get another one for myself so that I can control Winamp, WMP and PowerDVD, so it's great if the unit is multi-purpose or programmable. Oh, and it needs to be RF and not IR, the control won't always be from the same room.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Misiowiec, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

1. iTunes won't connect to my iTunes Media directory - Similar Threads - iTunes won't connect

2. Podcasts won't dl on iTunes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Podcasts won't dl on iTunes: Podcasts have stopped dl'ing to my pc. Worked for years prior to this week. Any ideas most appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/podcasts-wont-dl-on-itunes/09a7b2ae-73cd-4ccd-a24f-14525074f8fa
  3. Getting Media Keys to Work in iTunes when iTunes is Minimized

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Getting Media Keys to Work in iTunes when iTunes is Minimized: There you go, anybody have a clue how to make this work? PS: If you're having trouble getting the media keys to work in iTunes even when iTunes is maximized, you need to delete the Google Play Music Chrome extension, that fixes one problem, but the issue of the keys not...
  4. my iTunes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my iTunes: I bought my handicapped brother a new iPod but I'm having no success loading it with his music. His music is on my pc because as I said he's mentally handicapped and can not read or work a computer, MUSIC IS THE ONLY COMFORT HE GETS!!! While researching on the net...
  5. iTunes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    iTunes: I am unable to completely uninstall iTunes so that I can install the latest version of iTunes. I have followed the complete list of steps given to me by a Microsoft Technical Advisor, but I still receive the same error message. "Please remove the previous version of iTunes"....
  6. itunes connection

itunes connection: when I connect my apple ipod to my windows 10 PC iTunes does not recognize it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/itunes-connection/9f0262a8-70fd-4221-8eea-59156f3a3716
  7. Itunes won't reinstall

Itunes won't reinstall: I was having issues with Itunes and was advised to uninstall it (which I did) Now I want to install it again, Microsoft store is telling me that I 'own' it, but won't give me the option to 'insiall' it (that option is greyed out) Even when I go into my library, the only...
  8. iTunes won't launch

iTunes won't launch: I downloaded iTunes to my Windows 10 PC, but it won't launch. What do I do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_music/itunes-wont-launch/4d6ca670-c1e1-483c-a1de-8a7f30e76ed8
  9. iTunes won't connect to internet with W10

iTunes won't connect to internet with W10: New Dell laptop and everything else works. Have deleted and re-downloaded iTunes 2x. Made sure it's enable in Windows firwall. Even turned off firewall. Deleted McAffee totally. No proxy server is checked. I've googled all day and it seems others are having this problem but I...
  10. iTunes

iTunes: iTunes appears to install OK but will not open on my system (Build 9926) anyone else having this issue? 4400