Windows 10: I've encrypted my files, moved to a hard drive and restored the computer. Now I cant access...

Discus and support I've encrypted my files, moved to a hard drive and restored the computer. Now I cant access... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I didn't think about the permissions when I started the process and now I'm afraid I lost my certificates, keys and all my files. I've tried to give... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HelenaMello3, Feb 22, 2021.

1. I've encrypted my files, moved to a hard drive and restored the computer. Now I cant access...

I didn't think about the permissions when I started the process and now I'm afraid I lost my certificates, keys and all my files. I've tried to give access via the computer admin user with several suggestions I found found on the forums but nothing worked.

I tried to undo system restore and the latest available restoration point was already after the restore.

I'm getting error code 0x80071771 and I cant even move the files from hard drive back to the computer.

Please help.

:)

HelenaMello3, Feb 22, 2021

2. Help accessing encrypted files (Error: 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted)

Hi DesignerJo0314,

EFS or Encrypting File System on Windows is designed to protect your confidential data from threats or attackers that have access to your computer. Once a file is encrypted, a recovery key or certificate is required to access
    it on a different device. This means that the file can only be accessed on the same machine and same user account it was encrypted to.

Here are the ways on how to access the encrypted file on a different computer or user profile:

1. Decrypt the file before moving it to the new computer. You can encrypt the file to the new user profile once the transfer is complete.
    2. Move the encrypted file to the new computer including the certificate or key.

Apparently, the only way to access the encrypted file on your new computer is to have the certificate or key. If you still have the old laptop, you can try to connect the hard drive to your new computer and decrypt the file.

Feel free to post back if you have other questions.

Devlin Sco, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Accessing encrypted files

I have files on my backup hard drive which I cannot access - they have little padlock symbols on them.

After trying many different things, I get two messages:

1. There is a problem decrypting the files - access denied (or words to that effect)

2. "You need administrator permission to access this file" I am listed as the administrator on this computer.

I did not knowingly encrypt these files, just backed them up on the HD.

When I go through "properties" the permissions I see against my name have grey ticks, rather than black ones.

This suggests they are not actually effective/available.

Please help!!

RomanRencki, Feb 22, 2021
  4. C R A Win User

I've encrypted my files, moved to a hard drive and restored the computer. Now I cant access...

Restore files after damaged hard drive

My hard drive died and was replaced by Dell. Fortunately (I think) my files were backed up to a Seagate external drive and I can find no clear instructions on how to restore/move my files correctly to my new hard drive.

I have the Seagate dashboard but it doesn't seem to find my files.

Are there specific steps? I suppose I could drag and drop the photos and music but I have other files, programs and information that I would like restored back like the original.

Any suggestions?

C R A, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

I've encrypted my files, moved to a hard drive and restored the computer. Now I cant access...

1. I've encrypted my files, moved to a hard drive and restored the computer. Now I cant access... - Similar Threads - I've encrypted files

2. Can't access hard-drive to move my files safely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access hard-drive to move my files safely: Yesterday I was able to hook up my hard-drive to an external case so I could transfer the files but I had a "could not move files" error so I repaired the drive and by the time it was done I went to bed. Today I went back and hooked up the hard-drive only for it to tell me...
  3. Can't access hard-drive to move my files safely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access hard-drive to move my files safely: Yesterday I was able to hook up my hard-drive to an external case so I could transfer the files but I had a "could not move files" error so I repaired the drive and by the time it was done I went to bed. Today I went back and hooked up the hard-drive only for it to tell me...
  4. Can't access hard-drive to move my files safely

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. i cannt reach my encrypted files on my hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i cannt reach my encrypted files on my hard drive: i encrypted files on my computer and i changer the windows 2 days after and i do not own any certificate and it say The specified file could not be decrypted 0x80071771 . now i want my files back so how can i get my lost windows certificate and can i keep downloading a new...
  6. I cant access my windows backup hard-drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cant access my windows backup hard-drive: Hello, I've looked and looked and looked for the solution to this problem I'm having. Let me break down what my issue is. I bought my HP laptop a year ago. When I bought the laptop and set it up, I noticed it had organization limits on it. I was not able to use location...
  7. Bitlocker encrypted files, moved drive to another drive and now I can't decryped it.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encrypted files, moved drive to another drive and now I can't decryped it.: I have an encryped drive with only a certain folder that's encryped that I can't seem to find the option to decryped. I have the backup key provided by bitlocker and permisssions to edit and etc....
  8. Move my hard drive to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move my hard drive to a new computer: Hi My old Samsung laptop has a smashed screen, so I have bought myself a second hand HP laptop. Both laptops have Windows 10 but when I tried to take the hard drive from the Samsung and put it in the HP, I received an error. How can I use my Samsung hard drive and put it...
  9. Encrypting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypting a hard drive: Good day all, I don't even know if this is the correct place to ask this so if anyone has a better place either on this forum or elsewhere I would appreciate it. Basically I know very little about encryption beyond the basics of what it is. What I'm looking for is a program...
  10. Need to know how to restore access to encrypted drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need to know how to restore access to encrypted drive?: Long story but to start.... I am on Windows 10 64bit. I was cleaning out my User folder and inadvertently deleted something I shouldn't have and now I cannot access my personnal information on an encrypted drive. I have an OLD system image. Can I restore individual...