Windows 10: I've hidden the system drive letter in Windows 10 but the pest always comes back

Discus and support I've hidden the system drive letter in Windows 10 but the pest always comes back in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; If I go to diskpart, select the below drive and hide the letter (which shouldn't show), the pest always comes back! (what a hate). [ATTACH] Does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Thomas Jr, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Thomas Jr Win User

I've hidden the system drive letter in Windows 10 but the pest always comes back

If I go to diskpart, select the below drive and hide the letter (which shouldn't show), the pest always comes back! (what a hate).

I've hidden the system drive letter in Windows 10 but the pest always comes back d982453a-33af-44a6-be70-b46ec177c19b?upload=true.jpg

Does anybody know how to make this disgraceful windows 10 hide this goddamn drive once and for all? Thanks

(MS and windows get me terribly frustrated, they suck. I hate MS and their OS beyond belief).

:)

Thomas Jr, Dec 14, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Dec 14, 2019
  3. Drive letters are not available for assigning to unallocated space

Hello Sjoerd,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The reason the drive letters are not available to assign are because they might have been assigned to devices which are removed or hidden. I suggest you to check for any hidden devices and remove them to assign the missing drive letters.

Follow the steps mentioned below to check for the hidden or removed devices.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and hit enter.
    3. Click on the view tab at the top left hand corner.
    4. Now select View hidden devices.
    5. Now look for the hidden devices under storage volumes and
      portable devices.
    6. Right click on the hidden devices and click on
      uninstall
    7. Restart the PC.

After restarting the PC, try assigning the drive letter to the unallocated drive and check if the drive letters D, E, F, G, and H appears.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Dec 14, 2019
  4. I've hidden the system drive letter in Windows 10 but the pest always comes back

Reformatting - Wrong Drive Letters?

Ok, do so googling about acronis True Image 11 and disk letters. Its the program I use to save all my info, and I know that people wee having troubles with the drive letters there. It was something about modifying the boot.ini and assigning drives. Anyway, I found this for you:

Change the System/Boot Drive Letter
    Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
    1. Make a full system backup of the computer and system state.
    2. Log on as an Administrator.
    3. Start Regedt32.exe.
    4. Go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    5. Click MountedDevices.
    6. On the Security menu, click Permissions.
    7. Verify that Administrators have full control. Change this back when you are finished with these steps.
    8. Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.
    9. Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    10. Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
    11. Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.

Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry key.
    12. Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:".

This frees up drive letter C.
    13. Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
    14. Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
    15. Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
    16. Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\D:".
    17. Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32.
    18. Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators (this should probably be Read Only).
    19. Restart the computer.

Cybrnook2002, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

I've hidden the system drive letter in Windows 10 but the pest always comes back

1. I've hidden the system drive letter in Windows 10 but the pest always comes back - Similar Threads - I've hidden system

2. The Pest Badge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Pest Badge: I looked down at the Windows Security and noticed the badge is back. Thought this issue was fixed!Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-pest-badge/88c7e08b-a06e-4cc1-a4aa-31a30dc9787f
  3. The Pest Badge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Pest Badge: I looked down at the Windows Security and noticed the badge is back. Thought this issue was fixed!Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-pest-badge/88c7e08b-a06e-4cc1-a4aa-31a30dc9787f
  4. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  5. Why is C the default Windows System Drive letter always?

in Windows 10 News
    Why is C the default Windows System Drive letter always?: Some of us have a laptop, and some have a desktop. But one thing that is common in all Windows computer systems is that the system hard drive on which the operating system is installed is C. The Microsoft Windows operating system always uses the default letter C for the...
  6. Srttrail.txt always coming back

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Srttrail.txt always coming back: Hello everyone! I am currently having issues with my new pc. I bought it a few months ago and I recently started to have the Srttrail.txt error even after reinstalling the operative system completely. I have used this and similar methods to try and fix it....
  7. External HDD always losing drive letter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD always losing drive letter: I have a Laptop Thus i cant install my HDD's anymore, and i bought an external Dock. The Dock is working fine, comes with some usb§ connections and such, all good for a while But now after a year it starts to just "forget" the letter of one of the two HDD's. In my Drive Dock...
  8. Folder always coming back after restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder always coming back after restart: sorry for my bad english, I have an empty folder on drive D, after I delete it, it comes back again, I have tried various methods but it still can't, is there a solution?...
  9. System Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Drive Letter: Hi. I'd like to know is it possible to change system drive letter on windows 10 and if it is how would one do so? For instance I'd like my system drive letter to be "X" instead of "C"... so,can it be done?...
  10. Drive letter for EFI system partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Drive letter for EFI system partition?: In Macrium Reflect (free), a Dell Optiplex 3046 running 6.3.1835 on Win 10 64 Pro, returns a Cluster run error Cluster run short error 21 when performing a backup that includes the EFI system partition. Macrium's suggested solution is to assign a drive letter to that...