Windows 10: Jan 2021 W10 Update One Drive moving all local folders into cloud storage

Discus and support Jan 2021 W10 Update One Drive moving all local folders into cloud storage in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have complaints from numerous customers this week of very slow machines and missing files. On investigation, a recent update installing as of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Andy Affineti Ltd, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Jan 2021 W10 Update One Drive moving all local folders into cloud storage

Hi,

I have complaints from numerous customers this week of very slow machines and missing files. On investigation, a recent update installing as of 15th January 2021 seems to be causing Onedrive to move all local user folders Documents, Pictures, Videos, Desktop from the machine's local hard drive to Onedrive. Since the Onedrive storage is not FCA, CQC or GDPR compliant due to storage geography this is causing a lot of problems not to mention the mess it is making on server attached workstations where the folders are sync'd with the server - effectively removing these files from the safe storage and backup systems on the server.

Does anyone at Microsoft with some genuine knowledge of this problem know the safest way of reversing this 'move operation' and disabling Onedrive so this does not happen again.

I can manually move these files but Onedrive will allow the sync to be paused but not disabled. It seems Microsoft have taken a leaf out of Apple's book by forcing a move to personal cloud storage which is not very helpful where colaborative systems are already in place.

Any workable solutions greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

Andy

Affineti Systems

:)

Andy Affineti Ltd, Jan 19, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Notice of Samsung Cloud Gallery Sync and Drive Service Termination

Read more:

Brink, Jan 19, 2021
  3. bro67 Win User
    Using OneDrive as cloud storage only - no local copies

Actually it is local files mirrored to your Cloud Drive. If you need more space, you are going to have to use either a external drive on your network or a bigger drive in your computer. If you stop syncing to your local folder, you will have to use just the OneDrive Cloud folder and will risk losing any data if you lose connection, while working with a file.

bro67, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Risto Win User

Jan 2021 W10 Update One Drive moving all local folders into cloud storage

W10 Storage settings and user folder structure. How to change location

Hi,
    I just build up a new pc and changed from W7 to new era of W10 *Smile Was not that easy and pleasant experience as I thought.
    I have huge storage capability with this new pc but since I'm using very fast Intel 512Gb 600p M.2 SSD as C drive, I also want to make sure that all of my self created data will be stored to another disk, let's call it D.
    After extensive research, I found out that there are so many different guides how to change user folder locations for the following user folders (music, downloads, documents,pictures and videos) as well for changing the Windows 10 storage settings. All those guides are a bit confusing to me since I'm not ICT pro...

I already know that one can change the individual user folders (mentioned above) by just changing its location from folder preferencies. Here is a pic where we can see that I have already changed the location for the following user folders; pictures, downloads, music, document, favourites, and saved games). User folders Search, links, onedrive, desktop and contacts are still in C drive.

Jan 2021 W10 Update One Drive moving all local folders into cloud storage [​IMG]

I have not yet made any changes to W10 Storage settings as they remain default (C drive). If I have understood right by changing the storage settings in Windows it would lead to situation that W0 creates another library but user folders would still remain on C disk as default. This would lead to situation that user would have multiple storage locations. Am I correct?
    From the picture 1, we can already see one of the problems as Adobe Creative Cloud has already created its own folder to user folder in C location. This is exactly what I want to avoid. If I would go ahead and now install all the adobe media creation softwares, like Premiere Pro CC, it would also create some additional folders under user folder, useally under Documents. Adobe creates render and preview files that can be huge in terms of space. So I quess my question is that would I be able to avoid that by making changes to W10 Storage settings (pic2)?

Jan 2021 W10 Update One Drive moving all local folders into cloud storage [​IMG]

The third solution would be the one that Kari has presented in this forum but that seems to be very technical and there is also a lots of debate if that should be used or not. For non-professional PC user, it is very hard to choose what to believe and what not. Which advice or guide is correct and what is not. Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums[1]=User%20Accounts
    This tutorial by Kari includes very technical skills and I'm not sure if I'm up to it *Huh

This is what one another tutorials stated: "Although, this is a good option to help you save space in your local storage, it can get a little confusing for some users. Using this new feature will not change the location for the folders listed under "This PC" in the File Explorer. Many users can end up saving and moving files in two different locations without knowing.". This tutorial can be found here: How to manage file storage more efficiently in Windows 10 | Windows Central

Could someone kindly advice step-by-step in layman terms, how should I proceed and change my W10 in a way that also future programs that use NON-HIDDEN user folders to save data, would be stored to another drive, instead of C.
    (I don't mind if some code is written to hidden appdata etc folders under user folder. Those are not useally large files...)

Any clear, step-by-step advice would be greatly appriated.

Hyvää Itsenäisyyspäivää Kari!

Best regards,

Risto, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Jan 2021 W10 Update One Drive moving all local folders into cloud storage

1. Jan 2021 W10 Update One Drive moving all local folders into cloud storage - Similar Threads - Jan 2021 W10

2. How to move Lightroom Classic folders within Pictures to a local only folder not in one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move Lightroom Classic folders within Pictures to a local only folder not in one drive: I would like to move either subfolders Lightroom Catalog in Pictures or the whole Pictures folder to a local only folder in C: directory. When I try to do this, I get an error message. If I try the same process on the subfolders, I do not get the option of Location. How do I...
  3. How to move Lightroom Classic folders within Pictures to a local only folder not in one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move Lightroom Classic folders within Pictures to a local only folder not in one drive: I would like to move either subfolders Lightroom Catalog in Pictures or the whole Pictures folder to a local only folder in C: directory. When I try to do this, I get an error message. If I try the same process on the subfolders, I do not get the option of Location. How do I...
  4. One-drive moving files without permission removing from local storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One-drive moving files without permission removing from local storage: I recently had to have my laptop reset including reinstalling windows after some hardware fixes. I had a backup of all my files so, naturally, I let my backup drive reupload everything, then moved them to the relevant document spaces. I didn't realise at the time the...
  5. One Drive, half of the data on local computer and half on cloud

One Drive, half of the data on local computer and half on cloud: Hi, I have 500GB of internal storage on my laptop. My One Drive has 1 TB in it. Theoretically I can only use 500GB As much as my internal hard drive capacity despite of 1TB facility from One drive. Does one drive have a smart sync features, where I can have a folder on...
  6. Jan 26, 2021 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Jan 26, 2021 updates: PC tower boots up at a crawl after Jan 26, 2021 updates were installed. KB4598481, KB4598242, KB4562830 Why? Can I uninstall one of these updates and solve my problem. Not kidding when I say it takes 5 minutes to boot up....
  7. One Drive stopped Syncing/using cloud storage

One Drive stopped Syncing/using cloud storage: My OneDrive all of a sudden stopped syncing/uploading to the Cloud storage even though I have space. Why did it do this? How do I fix it when it says it can't sign me in because of cookies even though I allowed cookies on all my browsers?...
  8. One Drive folder and cloud

One Drive folder and cloud: What's the purpose of the OneDrive Folder on my laptop? The contents are not the same as my OneDrive in the cloud. If I put things in the folder, they stay there. I have to sign in on the cloud to have things saved there....
  9. Share a specific folder into cloud such as one drive or google drive?

Share a specific folder into cloud such as one drive or google drive?: I have an old game that keeps it's saves in a specific location that cannot be changed (mydocuments\gamename\saves in case that matters). I'm playing with 2 different PC's both carrying win10-64bit and I'm getting tired of copying the new save to a cloud service and moving...
  10. Moving files to cloud storage?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Moving files to cloud storage?: Hey guys, I sound dumb for asking this has stupidly I never backed up files until recently onto cloud (until my hard drive failed with pictures I can't get back) Can I move files/software to windows cloud and delete them off my hard drive to free up some space? Thanks...