Windows 10: Japanese applications on English Windows 10 and vice-versa

Discus and support Japanese applications on English Windows 10 and vice-versa in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I would like to know if I can install and run Japanese applications on an English-based version of Windows 10. This was not possible on any version up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NIRC, Oct 1, 2015.

1. NIRC Win User

Japanese applications on English Windows 10 and vice-versa

I would like to know if I can install and run Japanese applications on an English-based version of Windows 10. This was not possible on any version up to and including Windows 8. The best one would hope for was to change the default language of menus, etc.
    For example, in Win 8, if I have installed the English version, I cannot install the Japanese version of InDesign, which has many features not available in the English version of the program. When I tried installing the English InDesign on a Japanese Windows 7, it didn't take either.
    The people at Dell Japan wrote today that all I have to do in their pre-installed Japanese version of Win 10 is go to the "language and region settings", but surely this cannot be right. I have hunted through the Windows page but came up empty-handed.
    Can anyone show me where to find a definitive answer to this question? Thanks (in advance.)

:)

NIRC, Oct 1, 2015

2. How to reset the @ sign back to its previous key after the latest Ms update ?

Go to Settings>Time and language>Region and Language.

Under Languages, click options against the language installed.

Under Keyboard, add a new Keyboard English UK if the current is English US

otherwise vice versa.

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 1, 2015
  3. Device overwriting PC and vice versa

Hi,

ActiveSync will overwrite data based on the items that are changed. If items are changed on both devices prior to sync, then ActiveSync will overwrite the one you specified in the settings.

There is no option to have a one way sync.

Chris De Herrera, Oct 1, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Have you tried to load the Japanese Language Pack (Control Panel -> Languages, Add Language), set your time/date settings to Japanese and your region to Japan? I think this last one, your region, is what makes the version install or not. If you have done all these and changed the default display language to Japanese, you should be able to install the Japanese version without any issue. To make sure you have to e-mail Adobe. Here in Greece, we can install the English version and then install the Greek Language Pack if we want Greek interface. I'm not aware though of any program requiring a specific Windows language to install. My problems usually arise from legacy (non-Unicode) programs that try to display Greek and display garbage because the language for non-Unicode programs (in Regional Settings) is set to English US rather than Greek. Once we change it to Greek and restart all legacy programs display correctly in Greek. The only advantage using a Greek Windows version is that all settings are automatically set to Greek, so a novice user has nothing to worry about. But in earlier Windows there were some compatibility bugs in the Greek version that were not in the English version. I remember some Greek programs did not display correctly in the Greek version (probably due to incorrect font settings) and displayed fine in the English version after we had changed the language for non-Unicode programs to Greek! So some of us more advanced users often avoided the Greek version and used English instead. Also all new Windows versions came first in English and the Greek version was out one or two months later, we just couldn't wait, so we used the English version. Windows 8 and 10 are the exceptions.

spapakons, Oct 2, 2015
  5. NIRC Win User
    Almost NO program written for Japanese works in English Windows. Greek, Cyrrilic, and other Eastern European languages all fall in the same small Unicode range, so there is no problem. Japanese and Chinese require a much larger range of characters and can be written vertically or even right to left, so the base programming is different.
    My question is whether Windows 10 addressed this issue. I guess not, but it would be good to hear from someone at Microsoft what the situation is and if they ever intend to address it and catch up with MAC.

NIRC, Oct 2, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Well, if I'm not wrong, installing the Japanese Language Pack should also enable the greater Unicode range and complex writing, right-to-left, top-to-down, so there should not be a problem. And I think the Arial Unicode MS font installed with almost every Office version (can be downloaded separately for free) has the full Unicode range. So if it is a matter of fonts, just install the necessary fonts, although they should install automatically when adding a CJK language (Chinese, Japanese or Korean). This was the case back in Windows XP, so why not in Vista, 7, 8 and 10 that are newer and should have better support? In any case, I would try to add Japanese in your current setup and install the software and see how it works. If there is any problem, you can uninstall them and seek for another solution, but they could work, give it a try. Don't forget that you can install any local version of Windows with the same key. At least this is the case for Greek, it must be for others. That is if you buy the Greek version but you decide you want English, you can clean install with an English version DVD-ROM and use the same key (for the same version Home or Pro, of course). The opposite is also true, that is using the English key to install the Greek version. So in worst case you could install the Japanese version in another partition or other disk and dual boot. You would then gradually install all your software in the Japanese version, without hurry, since you can use your computer with the English version. When complete you just delete the English partition and use only the Japanese. But I don't think it will be necessary. Just convert English to Japanese and try your software to see hot it works.

spapakons, Oct 2, 2015
  7. NIRC Win User
    No go. I have the Japanese language pack installed on English Win 10 for daily use, but when I tried to install Japanese MS Office, InDesign, and one other program, they were all refused.
    Then I went and tried to install the English versions of MS Office and InDesign on Japanese Win 10, and they didn't work either.
    All I really want to know is what the principles at work are. Printer drivers, simple multimedia programs, etc. designed for the Japanese platform and with only Japanese menus have worked well on English Windows since Window 7. But I can't figure out what the underlying rules are...

NIRC, Oct 3, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Then the installer checks the language version and blocks installation. There is no compatibility issue involved, they simply do that because they don't want software designed for Japan to be used outside Japan and vice versa. I remember some arcade games, now playable with MAME emulator that had a different ROM set for US version, Japanese version and World or Europe version. The game was essentially the same, only the display language changed and this could some times be adjusted from the DIP switches, so there was no specific reason for that other than the manufacturer didn't want the same version working in all countries. Probably they made one version earlier from the others and didn't want it to be used outside the intended territory.

So unless you can bypass the language check somehow, you need Japanese Windows as far as I understood. You could probably find the ISO and download it. Provided you activate it using a genuine serial, technically this is not illegal, but I guess Microsoft has a different opinion... Not sure for other languages, but a Greek serial can be used for all versions, 32-bit or 64-bit Greek or English. The same goes for an English serial. Your case could be different though...

spapakons, Oct 3, 2015
  9. Hi NIRC, any luck in solving the problem of running Japanese version of software on English version of Windows 10 (with the Japanese language pack installed)?

petercohen8877, Jan 21, 2016
  10. If I want to run Japanese version of software, is it better to buy the Surface Pro in Japan?

petercohen8877, Jan 21, 2016
  11. spapakons Win User
    Judging from the problem the original poster had, yes. But there should be a workaround... Why don't you download the Japanese version of Windows from Microsoft Tech Bench and clean-install it? Your genuine English (or any language serial) should be usable without any issue. Just make sure you download the same edition (Windows 10 for full Multilanguage unrestricted Home or Pro, Single Language for a SL serial etc).

spapakons, Jan 21, 2016
  12. NIRC Win User
    The problem is the special plugins, none of which work in the Japanese version

13. Japanese applications on English Windows 10 and vice-versa

Thanks. What is Tech Bench?

On my Retina MacBook Pro 15", I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Japanese version installed via Bootcamp. When I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 for free by clicking the bottom right hand corner, it stated that some of the hardware are not compatible with Windows 10. As far as I recall, it was about the GPU.

I have not bought the Surface Pro 4 yet.

Some Japanese Windows users said that it depends on how the programmers wrote the programs. Some programs would work under English version of Windows 10 + Japanese language pack. Others won't.

petercohen8877, Jan 22, 2016
  14. spapakons Win User
    Microsoft Tech Bench is an official site to download Windows 10 ISO (click link to open). While attempting an upgrade from the Get Windows 10 (GTX) utility, it will check your devices. If it cannot find a Windows 10 driver for a device, it will display this message that you cannot install Windows 10 in that computer, it is not about being a Mac. But if you download the same language ISO (in your case Japanese) and start the upgrade from there, it will proceed without any issue. In your case you may have "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", until you install the Windows 7 graphics driver. That's not a big deal. So download the ISO, open it with a suitable application, extract the files to a folder and run setup from there. To make sure the process won't stuck, disable any antivirus, firewall etc and then right-click setup and run as Administrator.

spapakons, Jan 22, 2016
  15. As far as I recall, existing Windows drivers including the one for the Nvidia GPU for my Mac are provided by Apple through Bootcamp drivers. There are two graphics card on my Mac. One is from Nvidia which I could download from their website and the other is from Intel.

What suitable application do you recommend to open the ISO? Although I use Windows applications, I don't know Windows well.

petercohen8877, Jan 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Japanese applications on English Windows 10 and vice-versa - Similar Threads - Japanese applications English

2. Convert VMware to VirtualBox and vice-versa

in Windows 10 News
    Convert VMware to VirtualBox and vice-versa: [IMG]A Virtual Machine is one of the cheapest ways to experience and use multiple operating systems on a single computer. Two of the biggest brands in the virtual machine industry are VMWare and VirtualBox. You can easily convert VMware to VirtualBox virtual machine and vice...
  3. Japanese to English Win10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese to English Win10.: can i upgrade a japanese version of win 7 to english version of win 10? I have the upgrade but has to translate everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/japanese-to-english-win10/906e1d7e-84e1-4a59-bd92-d9af43abbdef
  4. Japanese to English Win10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese to English Win10.: can i upgrade a japanese version of win 7 to english version of win 10? I have the upgrade but has to translate everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/japanese-to-english-win10/906e1d7e-84e1-4a59-bd92-d9af43abbdef
  5. Japanese to English Win10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Japanese to English

in Windows 10 Customization
    Japanese to English: Help I cant read Japanese and I changed the settings to Japanese and i cant read Japanese and I want to change it back to English. please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/japanese-to-english/2489eb04-85b1-470a-a5b7-3f649acaff8f
  7. Maximized window overlapping taskbar (or vice versa)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Maximized window overlapping taskbar (or vice versa): Hi People, Ever since i switched back to windows, this overlap has been bugging me. It's not killing but.it.IS.there! Searched the web like many others but couldn't find a solution, merely, a work-around or temporary solution. Things like autohide taskbar on/off. Place...
  8. Headphones recognized as speakers and vice versa...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones recognized as speakers and vice versa...: I've had this problem for a while now. It has corrected itself in the past but the latest update has brought this up again. What would be the most painless way of correcting this issue. Running troubleshooter does nothing. It would mean a lot to get this fixed as painlessly...
  9. Run Japanese Programs in English Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Run Japanese Programs in English Windows 10: Is it possible to install and run Japanese programs (e.g., Japanese inDesign) on an English version of Windows 10? This was never possible before with Microsoft, but I am wondering if maybe they had caught up with MAC. 14861
  10. language: japanese to english

in Windows 10 Support
    language: japanese to english: I accidentally upgrade my windows 8 to windows 10 while in Japanese I want everything back in English I already tick regional language ,language settings and system locale my clock settings and keyboard are fine now but the system language is still in Japanese.. [img]...