Windows 10: Japanese Characters in .ZIP/RAR/7Z etc files appear garbles, extract garbled

Discus and support Japanese Characters in .ZIP/RAR/7Z etc files appear garbles, extract garbled in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I am having trouble with file names in Japanese especially those in zip files or rar files. I download and use a lot of Japanese programs and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WesleyBridges, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Japanese Characters in .ZIP/RAR/7Z etc files appear garbles, extract garbled

Hello. I am having trouble with file names in Japanese especially those in zip files or rar files.

I download and use a lot of Japanese programs and software as I do a lot of translation work. However, the programs and files from some Japanese sources appear as garbled text which makes programs and games not function correctly after unzipping.

Now, my locale is set to Japanese. In fact, everything is set to Japanese with the exception of the display language for system messages etc which windows won't let me change for.... reasons.

I used to get around this problem with an app called Locale Emulator, however, for some reason that progam has ceased to function on 7Zip and I can no longer get around this issue. I am looking for an official solution if possible.

:)

WesleyBridges, Jan 11, 2019
  2. keakar Win User

Trouble extracting Rar files

make sure you are extracting it to the place your looking and not a default rar folder where they all go.

just to be sure, create a new folder on your desktop then drag the rar file onto it and drop it in. then open the "new folder" you created and then select "extract here"

if its not there after that then you have a bad or incomplete rar file and you will have to redownload it or another file containing the same exe file you want.

as a rule it is best to never download zip or rar files as they are often viruses so be carefull

keakar, Jan 11, 2019
  3. nkaufman Win User
    Garbled Registry Entries

Thanks, will do.

However, the link that you referred to had another link to Microsoft site and it seems that this garbled characters are related to Avast Browser Cleanup that I'd uninstalled recently.

Will still run chkdsk and see.

nkaufman, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Japanese Characters in .ZIP/RAR/7Z etc files appear garbles, extract garbled

Trouble extracting Rar files

Is it possible that there are more parts to this .RAR? When files are large, they usually get broken into smaller self-extracting .rar files that use redundancy to make sure the whole file get's unpacked.

I'd imaging UT3 would be pretty darn big. How big is the .rar you're opening?

Dr. Spankenstein, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Japanese Characters in .ZIP/RAR/7Z etc files appear garbles, extract garbled

1. Japanese Characters in .ZIP/RAR/7Z etc files appear garbles, extract garbled - Similar Threads - Japanese Characters ZIP

2. Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.: At the moment of writing this, I have just reinstalled windows because my old windows installation was quite old and bloated with useless apps. I was installing the apps that I wanted, and then it became time to download 7zip, I download it as normal, run it and restart....
  3. Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.: At the moment of writing this, I have just reinstalled windows because my old windows installation was quite old and bloated with useless apps. I was installing the apps that I wanted, and then it became time to download 7zip, I download it as normal, run it and restart....
  4. Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Garbled text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Garbled text: Ok, after the last two updates I'm seeing issues with text. The two main areas I see it happening is when I choose the power options from Windows button in WIN11. Here are some examples.......
  6. Garbled text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Garbled text: Ok, after the last two updates I'm seeing issues with text. The two main areas I see it happening is when I choose the power options from Windows button in WIN11. Here are some examples.......
  7. Muffled/garbled sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Muffled/garbled sound: My computer has been putting out garbled sounds for the past couple of months. I thought it was my speakers so I bought new ones. That didn't help. I have a SoundBlaster audio card and I tried different Aux ports in it, which has helped a little, but not really. I just bought...
  8. Japanese Character in Zip/RAR/7zip/etc. display as garbled, can we get a fix?

Japanese Character in Zip/RAR/7zip/etc. display as garbled, can we get a fix?: I already read this discussion, which is locked, and have the same issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/japanese-characters-in-ziprar7z-etc-files-appear/504e5bd7-2349-4041-9023-5ec66000ceaa?auth=1 Changing system locale is not an option. I already...
  9. Garbled text

Garbled text: In emails or texts, the text appears garbled, or the words do not form completely. This happens in receiving messages, also on FB and other applications. It does NOT happen when composing a message. I'm using Windows 10. Thanks...
  10. Garbled Registry Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Garbled Registry Entries: Hello, Was looking at registry to make a backup of some entries and saw the following garbled entries. Was wondering what this was all about. Recently, my machine, after latest windows updates, has been having issues waking up after Hibernate. This issue seemed to be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bad japanese rar file

2. Windows 10 file explorer Japanese characters

3. garble zip Japanese

4. japanese garbled windows,
  5. extract file option in japanese machine,
  6. garbled japanese in cvs file,
  7. Japanese characters in file names are displayed as garbled,
  8. zip file garbled characters,
  9. japanese characters in file names garbled windows 10,
  10. extract a rar with japanese characters,
  11. japanese 7 zip win 10 garbled,