Windows 10: Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English

Discus and support Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I installed the Japanese IME keyboard a year ago, and it was working fine. I would type in the romanji and then the corresponding kana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DianaGrant1, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English

Hello,

I installed the Japanese IME keyboard a year ago, and it was working fine. I would type in the romanji and then the corresponding kana character would appear on screen. I could switch from English to kana at any time via the little keyboard icon at the on the taskbar that looked like this "あ" when it was on kana mode and "A" when it was on English mode. However, now when I switch try to switch to the Japanese keyboard it doesn't even show the kana icon "あ" just the English one. I've tried re-installing and restarting my computer, but it does nothing. I eve tried going into advanced settings to play around with it, but nothing. I don't want to mess up my other computer settings, so I stopped trying to fix it myself.

I need help because I need this function for my studies.

:)

DianaGrant1, Feb 20, 2019
  2. TokyoMike Win User

Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, Feb 20, 2019
  3. Japanese IME - How to have menus in English?

The default display language for the Microsoft IME is "Automatic", and occasionally it decides for whatever reason to change from English to Japanese or vice versa.
    At any rate, you can correct the issue without removing any language packs via the following steps. I'm going to assume that your Windows display language is in English, but your IME is set to display in Japanese.

1. Navigate thus: Control Panel -> Region & Language -> Keyboards &
      Languages -> Change Keyboards
    2. Highlight "Microsoft IME" under the Japanese (Japan) keyboard section of the "Installed services" list
    3. Select "Properties"
    4. Under the ""全股" tab, you will see an option at the bottom "メニューおよびダイアログで使用する言語" which is the IME display language option. Change this to "英語" (English) and save your changes (the buttons are in the same order as they are in the English UI, "Okay", "Cancel", "Apply", and "Help".

The next time you reopen the IME in the language bar, it should display in English.

Vector Gorgoth, Feb 20, 2019
  4. atreyie Win User

Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English

Want English language system with Japanese IME keyboard

Hi Divya,

while trying the method as you suggested, I could choose English as the display language,

but then when I am trying to add the input method, it does not show Microsoft IME as an option in the list.

at best I can only see/choose Japanese keyboard, but then the layout is different.

I am using a Toshiba dynabook KIRA, and my base OS is Japanese windows 8.1 which I upgraded to win 10.

atreyie, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English

1. Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English - Similar Threads - Japanese IME Keyboard

2. Japanese basic typing installed but not IME Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese basic typing installed but not IME Keyboard: Hello everyone,I would like to install Japanese keyboard IMESO I installed the Japanese language, you can find attached the list of languages installed.However, as you can see on the attached second screenshot, Japanese typing method does not appear.This problem does not come...
  3. Japanese basic typing installed but not IME Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese basic typing installed but not IME Keyboard: Hello everyone,I would like to install Japanese keyboard IMESO I installed the Japanese language, you can find attached the list of languages installed.However, as you can see on the attached second screenshot, Japanese typing method does not appear.This problem does not come...
  4. How to stop auto-converting kana to kanji in IME Japanese

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop auto-converting kana to kanji in IME Japanese: I'm using Windows 10 Home and whenever I try to type kana use Microsoft IME Japanese, it automatically wants to convert it to kanji. Even if I select the hiragana option from the pop-up list it gives me, it will revert this to kanji as soon as I start typing the next word....
  5. How to stop auto-converting kana to kanji in IME Japanese

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop auto-converting kana to kanji in IME Japanese: I'm using Windows 10 Home and whenever I try to type kana use Microsoft IME Japanese, it automatically wants to convert it to kanji. Even if I select the hiragana option from the pop-up list it gives me, it will revert this to kanji as soon as I start typing the next word....
  6. Japanese IME doesn’t show kana choice

in Windows 10 Customization
    Japanese IME doesn’t show kana choice: Hello everyone, Maybe my question would look similar to orhers related to IME, but 2 months now I’m trying some hypothetic solutions and what have been discussed on forums doesn’t solved the problem. I use Windows 10 pro, activated, fresh install in French + English,...
  7. Microsoft IME Kana not working

Microsoft IME Kana not working: I installed the Japanese language pack a few days ago. As part of it, Microsoft IME was installed. However, it won't let me switch input methods, it stays at Half width alphanumeric. Selecting Hiragana or any other input method has no effect. This seems to be a known...
  8. Japanese IME can't convert Kana I dont see the IME icon

Japanese IME can't convert Kana I dont see the IME icon: Hello. Please help me, I can't get the Japanese IME to work. It doesn't display the little Icon "A" or "Ain hiragana" for me to switch between romaji and kana. It just types qwerty. I've already tried everything: -copy IME DIC files from another computer where it works -...
  9. Can't type in hiragana in japanese IME

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't type in hiragana in japanese IME: Hi, I saw so many tutorials on many pages, but I still have a problem. After changing language to japanese in every tutorial they had this A letter beside language, where they could change typing to hiragana, but I don't have this option. I was trying to find something in...
  10. IME Japanese kana input failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IME Japanese kana input failure: Please kindly advise what to do. I searched and tried many ways of finding the solution, but everything failed so far. I cannot change romaji input into kana hiragana, katakana, kanji Chinese characters although the Japanese language pack seems to be installed. I cannot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Japanese IME is not ready yet

2. japanese typing not installed

3. ime is set but nothing is typing

4. windows not typing japnese,
  5. japanese ime not ready yet,
  6. keyboard not typing in japanese,
  7. windows 10 japanese ime only shows roman letters,
  8. Japanese keyboard IME not working cant change input to hiragana,
  9. ime kana mode on by default,
  10. kana eiso buttons not working windows,
  11. kana mode not working japanese ime,