Windows 10: Japanese input overwriting itself/erasing text as I write

Discus and support Japanese input overwriting itself/erasing text as I write in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Having an extremely infuriating issue that is making my work impossible. I usually use Google Japanese Input but the issue occurs on the built-in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kakyoins, May 25, 2020.

1. kakyoins Win User

Japanese input overwriting itself/erasing text as I write

Having an extremely infuriating issue that is making my work impossible. I usually use Google Japanese Input but the issue occurs on the built-in Windows IME. When I type a word for example , before I get the chance to convert the hiragana into Kanji I'll get three characters into the word, the kanji input box will pop up and the next character I type will erase/overwrite all the characters I have previously written. I haven't even got to the end of the word yet. I've tried turning some settings on and off like realtime conversion realtime conversion my ****... and it's not helping. It now takes me forever to write even a simple sentence because what I type undoes itself constantly, it's luck of the draw if I manage to get to the end of a word. Any ideas on how to address this issue???

:)

kakyoins, May 25, 2020

2. Windows 10 IME Japanese stuck on romaji (直接) won't toggle to other inputs

Hi Marilou,

Thanks for the link, but it refers to a problem with writing with the Japanese IME in Word.

My problem is more general/basic. I cannot even select the japanese inputs other than the romaji input (which is the same as the English keyboard). So whatever program I am trying to write in, the text is input with English characters, rather than Japanese
    characters.

Peter

Peter Berrill, May 25, 2020
  3. TokyoMike Win User
    Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, May 25, 2020
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

Impossible to write Japanese

Hi Alexandre,

You may need to press specific function keys in order to convert text in the IME composition window. Kindly check if the link below will help:

Let us know if you have further queries.

Ralph Sta, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Japanese input overwriting itself/erasing text as I write - Similar Threads - Japanese input overwriting

2. Typing is erasing and correcting itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Typing is erasing and correcting itself: his problem is very odd to me!I'm using Windows 11, on a CLX gaming desktop.Often when I start typing I see the wrong text appear, then it appears to backspace itself and correct itself without my input.As far as I know, I have disabled Any and ALL ai features and type-assist...
  3. Japanese IME input buggy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese IME input buggy?: I use Japanese input a lot and it's always been somewhat buggy in my opinion.Often times when I switch to Japanese from English, it defaults to Half-width alphanumeric mode instead of my preferred Hiragana mode. So I'm constantly having to switch back and forth.Often times...
  4. Japanese IME input buggy?

Japanese IME input buggy?: I use Japanese input a lot and it's always been somewhat buggy in my opinion.Often times when I switch to Japanese from English, it defaults to Half-width alphanumeric mode instead of my preferred Hiragana mode. So I'm constantly having to switch back and forth.Often times...
  5. Japanese Keyboard Input Error?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese Keyboard Input Error?: Hi, I just got a new Surface Laptop 4 today and am having issues using the JP keyboard. I have added the language in my Language & Region as how I have done so on previous devices. The JP hiragana alphabet is not corresponding to EN keyboard. When I type "A" I get chi"C" I...
  6. Japanese Keyboard Input Error?

Japanese Keyboard Input Error?: Hi, I just got a new Surface Laptop 4 today and am having issues using the JP keyboard. I have added the language in my Language & Region as how I have done so on previous devices. The JP hiragana alphabet is not corresponding to EN keyboard. When I type "A" I get chi"C" I...
  7. Letter "P" Keeps overwritting the previous text input.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Letter "P" Keeps overwritting the previous text input.: So this is a pretty bizarre problem, everytime I press the key "P" It just overwrittes the previous text input, I never had this problem before until now. I haven't tried other letters to see if they have the same behaviour yet....
  8. Letter "P" Keeps overwritting the previous text input.

Letter "P" Keeps overwritting the previous text input.: So this is a pretty bizarre problem, everytime I press the key "P" It just overwrittes the previous text input, I never had this problem before until now. I haven't tried other letters to see if they have the same behaviour yet....
  9. japanese input method

in Windows 10 Customization
    japanese input method: I cannot switch anymore among Japanese input methods (katakana - hiragana). The icon "A" does not appear anymore. Does anyone can help to solve the problem? Many thanks....
  10. IME Japanese input

in Windows 10 Customization
    IME Japanese input: So, set up Japanese as my second input. Each time I hit alt + shift, it will switch to Japanese. However the annoying issue I am dealing with is when it switches to Japanese mode, it is in alphanumeric not hirigana mode, which is extremely annoying because if someone switches...