Windows 10: .jar "open with" problem

Discus and support .jar "open with" problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; so im trying to make a minecraft server but a few years ago i made the .jar file always open with the notepad, how can i reset the jar file to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ImpossibleBoss9, Oct 23, 2021.

1. .jar "open with" problem

so im trying to make a minecraft server but a few years ago i made the .jar file always open with the notepad, how can i reset the jar file to open with nothing?

:)

ImpossibleBoss9, Oct 23, 2021

2. .jar files opening in internet explorer

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that .jar files opens in Internet Explorer by default and downloads again on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it resolves the issue.

1. Right click on the .jar file, select Open with
    and click on Choose another app.

2. Select the app you want to open the .jar file from list.

3. If required, highlight the app and check the option
    Always use this app to open, click OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Oct 23, 2021
  3. NateHoopu Win User
    .jar files opening in internet explorer

I have the same problem, I accidentaly switched a .jar file to open with internet explorer, or notepad, I can't remember, and I forgot to unselect set it to the default, and now I can't get back to the java thing, please help.

NateHoopu, Oct 23, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

.jar "open with" problem

jar files

Fixing .jar file opening on Windows requires two steps:

• Open the Control Panel, and chose "Default Programs - Associate a File type or protocol with a program". Find .jar extension (Executable JAR file) there, and pick Java as default program to open this extension. It will probably be listed as "Java Platform(SE)".
      A faster alternative perhaps is straightforward right-click on a .jar file, and then change associated program by clicking on the "Change..." button.
    • Now open the regedit, and open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command key. Luckilly for us, we may specify parameters there for the (Default) value. This is normally: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Oct 23, 2021
Thema:

.jar "open with" problem

1. .jar "open with" problem - Similar Threads - jar open problem

2. .jar "open with" problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .jar "open with" problem: so im trying to make a minecraft server but a few years ago i made the .jar file always open with the notepad, how can i reset the jar file to open with nothing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jar-open-with-problem/0fa7c708-d67c-44b4-82b9-843d4750d3e8
  3. .jar "open with" problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .jar "open with" problem: so im trying to make a minecraft server but a few years ago i made the .jar file always open with the notepad, how can i reset the jar file to open with nothing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jar-open-with-problem/0fa7c708-d67c-44b4-82b9-843d4750d3e8
  4. Java .jar problem

Java .jar problem: I have some friends and family that are trying to install Java and set it up for the default .jar app, but it is only letting them use Internet Explorer, or find another app on the Microsoft store. We have tried using the OPEN WITH option in File Explorer for their .jar...
  5. .jar File Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .jar File Problem: Hello, I've seen a few posts about this and read through a bunch of answers to solve this problem but sadly have not worked. Cutting to the things I've done; The latest Java application is fully installed and has been set to the default opener of jar files, thinking I was...
  6. jar file not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    jar file not opening: why the hell wont my file open? i have tried literally everything [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jar-file-not-opening/867eeb37-c1d0-4185-9ad9-2f9ae95e531d
  7. .Jar files not opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .Jar files not opening: ive tried everything, jarfix CMD pathing , BAT file, javaw.exe fucking nothing. submitted by /u/jmantechno [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8afe2/jar_files_not_opening/
  8. Jar File not Opening

Jar File not Opening: So I have installed Minecraft Java 1.16.4 on my Windows 10 and I have tried to install Optifine 1.16.4 on it and I got it where the icon is the jar teacup with the smoke and every time I try to install it it says there was an error in the following sequence that has a...
  9. Unable to open jar files

Unable to open jar files: I've been trying to open jar file for a while now and it doesn't seem like anything is working. I have tried many different solutions that didn't seem to work. I've tried jarfix, but it didn't seem to help either. Whenever I try to open a jar file after restarting my...
  10. .jar file problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    .jar file problem: 1. when trying to get my jar files to work i noticed they started up in nch, and everyone's else would open up in java so I went into chose deafult apps by file and it wouldn't let me choose java for .jar or .jav only .jnlp NOT .JNPL Problem also my .jar is under a Express...