Windows 10: .jfif, .oga, .ogv extensions on Windows 10

Discus and support .jfif, .oga, .ogv extensions on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've just hit the same as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpg-vs-jfif-extension/f66875d7-4780-4d55-b8da-9387de4139d4, and checked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mark Steward, Feb 25, 2021.

1. .jfif, .oga, .ogv extensions on Windows 10

I've just hit the same as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpg-vs-jfif-extension/f66875d7-4780-4d55-b8da-9387de4139d4, and checked HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type against the same path under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE has the expected values, but for some reason, some opinionated app has overridden not just image/jpeg but also audio/ogg and video/ogg to .oga and .ogv. There's also an entry overriding application/x-compressed to .solitairetheme8, but I don't see what business that would have in touching other filetypes. None of these are standard extensions, and they frequently aren't recognised when uploading to websites.

As far as I know, I haven't installed any media applications that might have done this, but I can see that my downloads flipped from .jpg to .jfif on the same day I installed Dropbox and Java JRE, so these are likely culprits.

I can fix my profile, but I'd really like to get some code changed to prevent it happening in the future. Has anyone dug into this any further?

Cheers,

Mark

:)

Mark Steward, Feb 25, 2021
  2. maxwelwp Win User

.jpg vs .jfif extension

In the last few months, every windows update changes the registry setting for saving jpeg images from .jpg to .jfif. Why is this continually changing even after I change the registry setting back to .jpg?

As a side note, the image I am saving is NOT a .jfif file and I do not have the option to save as a .jpg from the file save window. Only after changing the registry setting back to .jpg am I able to save with a .jpg extension.

maxwelwp, Feb 25, 2021
  3. maxwelwp Win User
    .jpg vs .jfif extension

These are being saved from a web page and Microsoft edge browser.

However saving the file is not what is changing the registry setting. The following setting is what is being changed after an update to windows

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\image/jpeg

A search of the registry finds several .jfif entries but setting the one referenced above allows the image to be saved with the .jpg extension as it did in the past.

maxwelwp, Feb 25, 2021
  4. .jfif, .oga, .ogv extensions on Windows 10

Allow open file standard attachments

Borrowing this list from Wikia: svg, odt, ods, odp, odg, odc, odf, odi, odm, ogg, ogv, oga

svg = Scale Vector Graphic
    odt = Open Document Text
    ods = Open Document Spreadsheet
    odp = Open Document Presentation
    odg = Open Document Graphics
    odf = Open Document Formula
    odi = Open Document Image
    odm = Open Document Master
    ogg = Ogg Vorbis
    ogv = Ogg Vorbis Video
    oga = Ogg Vorbis Audio

FordGT90Concept, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

.jfif, .oga, .ogv extensions on Windows 10

1. .jfif, .oga, .ogv extensions on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - jfif oga ogv

2. most of my images are jfifs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    most of my images are jfifs: hellomost of my images are jfifs and all images i download are saved as jfifsive read that the solution has something to do with messing registry keys, which apparently is a sensitive thing to do and might mess up my computer, and so that's something im reeeally not looking...
  3. most of my images are jfifs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    most of my images are jfifs: hellomost of my images are jfifs and all images i download are saved as jfifsive read that the solution has something to do with messing registry keys, which apparently is a sensitive thing to do and might mess up my computer, and so that's something im reeeally not looking...
  4. most of my images are jfifs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. images are jfifs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    images are jfifs: helloall my images are jfifs and all images i download are saved as jfifsive read that the solution has something to do with messing registry keys, which apparently is a sensitive thing to do and might mess up my computer, and so that's something im reeeally not looking...
  6. images are jfifs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    images are jfifs: helloall my images are jfifs and all images i download are saved as jfifsive read that the solution has something to do with messing registry keys, which apparently is a sensitive thing to do and might mess up my computer, and so that's something im reeeally not looking...
  7. images are jfifs

8. Jfif filetype

Jfif filetype: I've dealt with this several times over the years where windows randomly decides to save all images that would have been jpeg as jfif which is a huge problem when files are saved to different folders and I can't track when the change starts. What are the tells that will cause...
  9. Windows 10 saving .jpeg image as a '.jfif'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 saving .jpeg image as a '.jfif': I found guides to fix online and here (https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/af0azy/windows_10_had_been_saving_nearly_every_image_as/ except I have no HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\ directory in registry. Please help. I use a bit of old software and worried it not accepting...
  10. .jpg vs .jfif extension

.jpg vs .jfif extension: In the last few months, every windows update changes the registry setting for saving jpeg images from .jpg to .jfif. Why is this continually changing even after I change the registry setting back to .jpg? As a side note, the image I am saving is NOT a .jfif file and I do...