Windows 10: Joined two Win installed in boot menu, one seems to "depend" on other

Discus and support Joined two Win installed in boot menu, one seems to "depend" on other in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm not sure that I'm describing this right, so please help me out with the description if necessary. I have two Win 7 installs that I plan to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, May 31, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

Joined two Win installed in boot menu, one seems to "depend" on other

I'm not sure that I'm describing this right, so please help me out with the description if necessary.

I have two Win 7 installs that I plan to upgrade to Win 10. Each is on a separate physical drive, one SSD and one HDD. Thanks to good advice in this forum, I used bcdboot so that both of them are included in the same boot menu.

OK, so my TEST install was active and my PRODUCTION install was not active. Or so I thought. As an experiment, I changed the drive letter of the PRODUCTION install from C: to K and Windows complained, saying that Drive C was being used.. And then Skype shut down. (Huh?)

So what happened?

My goal is to have two (... or three) Win 10 installs that are all included in one boot menu for convenience, but which should be isolated from each other. That way, I can do experimental downloads and general testing without messing up my PRODUCTION install.

:)

2. N79; can't run " home media " menu

sawatdee krap,

maybe because you havent set any connections for "home media". i think it needs to connect with your computer. you also need to install SimpleCenter's Home Media Server software on your PC

maybe this will help you -

http://europe.nokia.com/A41123203

Message Edited by fring on 23-Nov-2008 03:20 PM

fring---01, May 31, 2016
  3. moo09 Win User
    N79; can't run " home media " menu

I'm in Thailand . I just buy N79 , but I have found my phone can run " home media " menu. When I go to " home media " menu it's push back to "connectivity" menu .

When I go to Nokia Care center . They said All N79 was bug as this. Wait to upgrade firmware as now it's already new as 10.046

Please share information with me

moo09, May 31, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Under normal conditions, whichever Windows you are booted into at the time gets the C: drive. When you attempted to change the PRODUCTION install from C: to K:, it was in use - because that is why it was C: to begin with - because that is what you were booted into at the time.

Let's say you have a second Windows installation that is currently D: drive. When you run the bcdboot D:\Windows command to add it to the boot menu, it does not actually add the D: drive letter to the boot menu, it adds the GUID of the partition that is marked as D: drive to the boot menu. Then when you select that Windows to boot into, it gets C: drive letter. It does not retain the D: drive letter that it had when you added it to the boot menu.

Best thing to do is to add volume labels to your partitions so you always know exactly which partition has the C: drive letter at the time.

NavyLCDR, May 31, 2016
  5. Kyhi Win User
    Each would have to be on it's own partition or drive...
    Each should have a different VOLUME Label and Boot Menu Description
    No matter what OS you boot that OS will be C: 0 the other will be assigned a different drive letter...

You could also create VHD's of the other two test OS's...
    And then you will be booting into a Virtual Hard Disk and the boot menu will use the vhd volume name..

Basically there is no reason to install three versions of windows 10 on the same pc...
    One OS and one VHD for testing purposes I can see...

But, with a disk in GPT format - you can boot 128 different OS's...

6. cereberus Win User
    This is a good guide.

Guide: How to install Windows 10 using VHDs

Edit : Just discovered that you cannot upgrade Windows 10 on a vhd - only clean install. This is a major limitation.

cereberus, May 31, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Assuming, of course, you have purchased a separate license for each install of Windows you have activated at the same time to keep everything nice and in compliance with the EULA.

NavyLCDR, May 31, 2016
  8. x509 Win User

I do have two legti Win 7 licenses through an MS partner program.

x509, Jun 1, 2016
  9. x509 Win User
    Guys,

I appreciate all the replies.

It turns out that I was making things unnecessarily complicated. Instead of doing two completely separate installs, I COPIED one install into free space on another drive. Even using bcdboot, apparently I didn't eliminate all dependences.

So I erased that copy, and did two separate Win 7 installs, nothing fancy, no updates, etc., and then the drive naming worked exactly as everyone said it would. Thanks.

x509, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Joined two Win installed in boot menu, one seems to "depend" on other - Similar Threads - Joined installed boot

2. Taskill Command Not Working from one AD Joined User to other AD Joined System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskill Command Not Working from one AD Joined User to other AD Joined System: I am using two computers, both logged in with AD user logins.From my system if i taskKill program to other computer its shows Access Denied.But if i create local user in remote computer i can taskill application in Remote computer.Can some one suggest to fix the issue....
  3. Two Music Folders, One a Subfolder of the Other

in Windows 10 Support
    Two Music Folders, One a Subfolder of the Other: Windows 10 Version 20H2 I recently did some housekeeping in my Music folder and somehow ended up with two "Music" folders. Here's how they display in Windows File Explorer: As you can see in the screenshot, the icon for the main folder, the subfolder directly under libraries,...
  4. Two windows boot managers in the boot menu.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Two windows boot managers in the boot menu.: I recently bought a new SSD and cloned the windows from my previous HDD. My windows booted up from SSD properly. But I still have OS installed on HDD as there were two windows boot managers in boot menu....
  5. About install two win 10 on One Notebook and license

About install two win 10 on One Notebook and license: Hi I bought a notebook several years ago but did not use it. The notebook was installed win 10 home version. When started use it, I found it is very slowly. And I formated system disk and installed a Win 10 pro version with one time license. But it was very slowly too. I...
  6. Two installs of Win10 on different drives, won't boot one of two insta

in Windows 10 Support
    Two installs of Win10 on different drives, won't boot one of two insta: Hello, I am not sure this question belongs here, couldn't find an appropriate classification I had a working Win10 os. Then I bought an SSD and installed another Win10 os and set up the pc to multi-boot. The original OS did boot once or twice until I learned about ahci for...
  7. Two Win 10 computers. One can access the other, but it is one way only.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Win 10 computers. One can access the other, but it is one way only.: Older HP desktop can access new Asus laptop but the Asus cannot get into the HP. Have Norton Security installed on both. I've tried disabling firewalls. Nothing works. Both computers can access Internet....
  8. Two installs of win 10 64 home one laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Two installs of win 10 64 home one laptop: I've got an msi ge62vr laptop with 3x drives one m2 SSD with main system for music production, a second hdd for storage, then a third drive which is an m2 SSD in a dvdrw convert or adapt or running Windows 10 just for war thunder. My question is how can I stop access while...
  9. Dual boot with two win 10 but after see only one!

Dual boot with two win 10 but after see only one!: I have two HDD. Bouth have 2 partitions C:, D; then seckond disk E; and G; drive. I shrinked my partition c to make unpartitioned space for seckond instal of win 10 witch is orginal windows Restarted and choze boot from dvd. Instalation went fine. I chozed new...
  10. Start Menu: One of two menus is missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu: One of two menus is missing: On the bottom left of the Taskbar, there are two icons: one gives me the task view and is NOT a problem. I am very new to W10 so I'm not sure how the window icon is supposed to work. If I right click, I get a menu and I understand that. However, if I left click, nothing...