Windows 10: Joining a Homegroup with Win 10 V 20H2

Discus and support Joining a Homegroup with Win 10 V 20H2 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Purchased new computer and I need to get into and existing Homegroup. Actually got a hold of Microsoft and the told me updating to v20H2 would correct... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TedHodge1, Jan 11, 2021.

1. TedHodge1 Win User

Joining a Homegroup with Win 10 V 20H2

Purchased new computer and I need to get into and existing Homegroup. Actually got a hold of Microsoft and the told me updating to v20H2 would correct the issue about joining. Well spent all afternoon with them and updating and you guessed it. I still cannot join an existing Homegroup with other 10 and 8.1. Any suggestions or work arounds?

:)

TedHodge1, Jan 11, 2021
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Joining a homegroup

Hi,

Homegroup networks are created mainly for sharing files and devices with other computers. We'd like to learn more about you concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Did you receive any error messages when you tried to join the homegroup?
    • Who created the homegroup?
    • Do you have the homegroup password?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Yolvi Ell, Jan 11, 2021
  3. Tecban Win User
    Homegroup seems stuck in join loop?

Short version: Windows is saying it sees a homegroup on my PC under my user ID, but it is not actually in the homegroup - it is forcing me to try to join the group it says I already created!

All homegroup functions have recently stopped working, after mostly working OK for a year under Win 8 and Win 10.

Here's what is happening:

• With all other PCs turned off, I restart my main Windows 10 PC, "Media PC" and sign in under L: myname@outlook.com.
    • Under HomeGroup, I am then prompted to join a HomeGroup. It says, "myname@outlook.com on Media PC has created a homegroup on the network."
    • But, instead of seeing the homegroup control page, (where you can change the password etc.), it is displaying a "join now" button. I don't have the password, and without the normal homegroup panel, I can't reset the password, or do anything except join.
    • If I so click join, it asks for the password, which I don't know and can't change (see above). If I enter a dummy password, it says "Windows can no longer detect a homegroup on this network." - but then immediately brings me back to the message shown above.

That makes no sense - it is asking me to join a homegroup that it says my user already created, and denying me the normal homegroup tools to try to fix it.

I have restarted the PC several times, restarted my router, switched the network from private to public and back (restarting in between), toggled the HomeGroup services off and on, and deleted the contents of the hidden "PeerNetworking" folder. And I am still stuck in this loop - unable to join a homegroup it says I already created.

Really all I want is simple, 1990s style folder sharing on my home network. Up until this week, homegroups usually were good enough. I thought the days of reformat/reinstall were behind me, but it seems like my last option to restore normal network activity. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Edited to improve late-night clarity.

Tecban, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Joining a Homegroup with Win 10 V 20H2

Cannot join homegroup in Win 10

The HomeGroup was working fine until I tried to upgrade my operating system on my new desktop. Finally i did not upgrade my windows 10 home edition and Microsoft support helped me to restore to my windows 10 home edition.

Then when I wanted my home computers to join the HomeGroup my new computer was giving me an error and would not join although I followed all the steps you have outlined in your article. The new PC shows the HomeGroup but I cannot join. Will appreciate some
    help in resolving this issue.

Regards

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

DharamvirBenawra, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

Joining a Homegroup with Win 10 V 20H2

1. Joining a Homegroup with Win 10 V 20H2 - Similar Threads - Joining Homegroup 20H2

2. HomeGroup and version 20H2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HomeGroup and version 20H2: I was under the impression that Windows 10 after version 1803 does not have HomeGroup. I have version 20H2 that shows a HomeGroup, but I can no longer connect to a Mac on my local HomeGroup. Not being a Windows 10 expert, I am lost with the array of new settings to have my...
  3. Question on update from Win 10 v 2004 to v 20H2

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question on update from Win 10 v 2004 to v 20H2: My daughter updated her Win 10 v 1909 to 20H2 and had major operational issues. I have v 2004 and am reluctant to make the update. Dell tech told her that in order for her to install 20H2 she would need to format her SSD HD and reinstall windows or use Media Creation tool. Am...
  4. Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10

Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10: I have a new Windows 10 computer, and I'm trying to join the existing homegroup in my home (which currently includes Windows 8 laptop and Windows 7 desktop), but to no avail. I tried to follow the instructions written by Shawn Brink in this forum: Open File Explorer,...
  5. Joining a HomeGroup

Joining a HomeGroup: I have been trying to join 2 laptops to a HomeGroup set up and there is no option showing to join. There are several guides that I've seen and all show options that do not appear on either laptop I'm trying to join with. Supposedly ther is a HomeGroup option within the...
  6. Unable to Join HomeGroup

Unable to Join HomeGroup: Hello everyone. I set up a homegroup years ago.. and had it set to two computers linked up and ready to go. Now we moved, got new everything and trying to set it up again but its showing my old homegroup. I can ether click on (Change Adv Settings) or Troubleshoot. Also...
  7. Windows 10 Joining A Windows 7 HomeGroup

Windows 10 Joining A Windows 7 HomeGroup: So I am on Windows 10 now. Was on Windows 7 ultimate prior to upgrading. I have my NAS setup on my router upstairs but every so often it gets knocked offline (Not sure if that's the drive or network issue) but I was wondering if there was an easy way to join the homegroup...
  8. Can't Join or Delete Homegroup

Can't Join or Delete Homegroup: I have a 3 PC ("Server" and two others) home network. On my Server, OLDLOCALUSER created a Homegroup in Win7. I upgraded all 3 PCs from Win7 to Win10. On my Server, I changed my OLDLOCALUSER to NEWMSACCOUNT. I also created NEWMSACCOUNT on the two other PCs. I lost the...
  9. Cannot join HomeGroup

Cannot join HomeGroup: I have two computers, my desktop and my laptop which is a Lenovo T520 Thinkpad. My laptop is connected to a D-Link Smart switch via Cat 7 which is connected to my router as well as my desktop. I originally created a Home group on my desktop and then went to Home group on my...
  10. Join Homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Join Homegroup in Windows 10: How to: Join Homegroup in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream media to...