Windows 10: joining a private network

Discus and support joining a private network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10. We have a private network that worked fine until Nov 2nd. I started not getting email to download to Outlook. I called my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobertVanasse2760, Jan 20, 2020.

1. joining a private network

I am running Windows 10. We have a private network that worked fine until Nov 2nd. I started not getting email to download to Outlook. I called my ISP to find out what the problem was. It turns out that I am not on the private network therefore the emails cannot get to me. I have tried to join the network but I cannot find anything in settings that will help me. By the way, I am the administrator of the network. After almost 3 months of looking until I needed a long break and trying again on and off since November I am ready to give up. How can I join my own network? HELP!!

:)

RobertVanasse2760, Jan 20, 2020

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    Windows HomeGroups and Xfinity Private Networks

Hi Gene,

Thank you for sharing the outcome when you followed the steps on how to create a HomeGroup. Please follow these steps to change the network profile to Private:

• Left click on the Wi-Fi icon at the bottom right side of the screen, near the clock.
    • Left click on Properties below your network name.
    • Under Network profile, change it to Private.
    • Create a HomeGroup again.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Fra, Jan 20, 2020
  4. joining a private network

Error: "Can create home group in private network only" - the wireless network is private though

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about connecting to HomeGroup network with error: Can create home group in private network only, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to settings in the Network type on Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the network type on Windows 10, try the below:

Right click on the Network icon in the System tray
    and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Here you will see the network you are connected to and what type of network Windows 10 has identified it as. (Private/ Public).

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to change the network type to Private if it is not and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an Administrator, on the desktop, click on the Network system icon in the taskbar notification area.
    • Right click on your network connection and click on
      Turn sharing on or off
    • Click on Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt and check if it helps.

For reference: HomeGroup problems in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

joining a private network

1. joining a private network - Similar Threads - joining private network

2. Change network to private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change network to private: Hi, I desperately need some help. My pc is connected through an ethernet cable, and my network is set to public network. I cant for the life of me seem to set it to a private network. Ive looked for hours to find how to change it but it just wont work. In Advanced sharing...
  3. Private network security

Private network security: I recently did a clean install of 19042 on an old laptop to clean out years of leftover garbage, but getting it tied back into my private home network was a problem. Only 1 of the other 4 systems on the network could access drives on the laptop. I consistently got the "You do...
  4. Private network conundrum

Private network conundrum: I have 4 computers on a Windows 10 private network. Let's refer to them as A,B,C and D where D is the culprit a laptop in this case. Computers A,B and C can all see each on the network. Computer A can see D but B and C cannot see D. I have updated Windows on D to the...
  5. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  6. private network setting

private network setting: i can not open but i see my private folder on my network (i can open public folder only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/private-network-setting/8690d8e2-4dad-4da2-be83-4f06942f6eab
  7. Private network and files

Private network and files: hi. my network is private and i dont have any file or drive shared.however when i pu my ip to file manager on android and put my username and my password i have access to all drivers even local drive C .Why?...
  8. Private Network

Private Network: Can I still browse the internet if I set my network status to Private? It is currently on Public. I have a second PC that I want to be able to share files and devices. I am assuming is that sharing on public network is more problematic from a security point of view...
  9. ethernet private network

ethernet private network: [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] What happen? เกิดอะไรขึ้น เราควรแก้ไขยั https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-private-network/2a07eab8-c986-44af-8ddc-4f3739420e53
  10. Virtual Private Network

Virtual Private Network: Hi, Is there a way to determine if I have a VPN installed. I did not install one. Yet, I see these switches on: Settings > Network and internet > VPN Allow VPN connections over metered networks - on Allow VPN to connect while Roaming. - on I don't see any VPN...