Windows 10: JPEG files that seem to take up 14.8 gb space and cannot be opened

Discus and support JPEG files that seem to take up 14.8 gb space and cannot be opened in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys I made the mistake to cut / paste a bunch of pictures from my Galaxy 8 onto my laptop. Now all the pictures in jpeg format seem to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mpiglet, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Mpiglet Win User

JPEG files that seem to take up 14.8 gb space and cannot be opened

Hi guys

I made the mistake to cut / paste a bunch of pictures from my Galaxy 8 onto my laptop. Now all the pictures in jpeg format seem to be corrupted or something.
    No viewer can open them. Windows say they take up 14.8 gb of space each.
    And they drained all harddrive space on my computer.
    If I select all of the picture files, Windows tells me they take up 40 tb !? This is on a laptop with a small 256 gb harddrive.
    What is going on? And is there any way to recover the pictures?

Hope you can help me! I really don't want to lose all my pictures of family and friends.

:)

Mpiglet, Aug 15, 2019
  2. PDQpat Win User

Windows Updates downloads 14 GB and fills drive

I can't expand it - I would need a new laptop. My laptop has RAM 2gb SSD 32gb It originally had Win8 and upgraded to 10 and ran surprisingly well -- until the anniversary update.

• In a FAQ it said Windows 10 uses approximately 10 GBs of disk space.

Windows 10 can upgrade such systems with as little as 8.5 GB of free space.
      This is misleading. Win10 it has gotten bigger and updates seem to need a lot more space (and no option for moving download location). I had 14 gb free space when something (assume Win10 update) filled it up and notified me I was out of space. In the list of
      updates for Win10 version 1607 I cannot even find an update that applies to this system...

What I've done so far:

I run Ccleaner and Windows Disk Cleaner (cleanmgr) regularly. I set settings to store personal files on an external SD-card. I've disabled Hibernate and indexing of C drive. I reduced the paging file. I uninstalled a few programs that were stored in C.
    I have found www.catalog.update.microsoft.com so maybe I can keep going by manually updating.

PDQpat, Aug 15, 2019
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Aug 15, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

CSV files used to open in Excel....not now!

Hi, you say Excel is installed. Does it run normally?

You can't find Excel in (an unspecified) list of applications. I don't know which list that is for sure.

For example, in the list related to:
    - rt click a file. Open With
    - this list:

JPEG files that seem to take up 14.8 gb space and cannot be opened [​IMG]

- this list:

JPEG files that seem to take up 14.8 gb space and cannot be opened [​IMG]

- some other list...

If Excel does not appear in the above, I suggest you repair your office installation.

Maybe the above gives you some ideas. Otherwise please post a screenshot of where you think you should see it but don't. Thanks.

dalchina, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

1. JPEG files that seem to take up 14.8 gb space and cannot be opened - Similar Threads - JPEG files seem

2. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space: So I've been having this issue where my windows system and reserved space is taking up way over 100+ GB of storage on my PC which is far from normal. I've tried a few things already and gotten nowhere. I even tried using the index options method and performed a restart along...
  3. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space: So I've been having this issue where my windows system and reserved space is taking up way over 100+ GB of storage on my PC which is far from normal. I've tried a few things already and gotten nowhere. I even tried using the index options method and performed a restart along...
  4. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files

Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files: Hello Windows 10 can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files in Photo viewer/Photos/Paint app. windows edition - Windows 10 Pro windows version - 2004 Installed on - 2020-07-16 OS build - 19041.388 Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  6. User folder seems to be taking up a lot of space

User folder seems to be taking up a lot of space: I have a 128 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD but the SSD is full, even though all of my photos and videos and documents are on the HDD. I downloaded TreeSize Free and it shows that there are 66.9 GB or so in my user folder. How can I free up some of this space?[ATTACH]...
  7. Cannot open Jpegs

Cannot open Jpegs: Hi, I am unable to open jpegs in Windows. I click on a file and I get a pop up stating 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' I have watched countless videos on YouTube claiming a miracle...
  8. 'Ghost' file on a USB taking up 20 GB of space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Ghost' file on a USB taking up 20 GB of space?: Sorry if this isn't the appropriate sub for this. So I have a 32 GB USB that had a locked .bat folder in it that contained data worth of 20GB. One day I plug in the USB, enter the password for the .bat but it says the folder is empty. Considering that I didn't need that...
  9. Temporary files taking up to 124 gb of space and pc is'nt working.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Temporary files taking up to 124 gb of space and pc is'nt working.: Hello! As in title my pc started acting weird i can't open any microsoft apps neihter microsoft store. My pc is freezing from time ot time speacially when i try to look up settings on my pc. Then i checked my storage and temporary files are taking 124 gb of space and when i...
  10. Cannot open jpeg files

Cannot open jpeg files: ?? I am trying to work with images and I cannot open jeg files.. the windows photo view is not the option. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-jpeg-files/5efd03a1-cb88-45cd-93ca-e19b194086bb"