Windows 10: .jpeg images won't open, strange icon

Discus and support .jpeg images won't open, strange icon in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hey everyone, So I recently tried to open a .jpeg image that I downloaded from google images to make it my computer wallpaper. But for some strange... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by CanonCalculator, Jun 3, 2017.

1. .jpeg images won't open, strange icon

Hey everyone,

So I recently tried to open a .jpeg image that I downloaded from google images to make it my computer wallpaper. But for some strange reason, the icon for it is just a blank icon with a couple of cogs on it. Whenever I try to open the file, it immediately deletes the window, and whenever I try to open it as an administrator, the window that pops up is just an image a bunch of code. I'm having a lot of trouble finding out what this means, I've been scanning the internet for the better part of an hour trying to figure this thing out. If anyone has a solution, or can put me in the right direction for finding a solution, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Canon

:)

CanonCalculator, Jun 3, 2017
  2. RicW-nw Win User

Picture keeps showing up as wallpaper

I don't recall if there are any file types that won't work as desktop images... if it's a jpeg then it should be OK... Try opening it in the paint program and re-saving it as a jpeg (using 'save as' command) if you are not sure, but it uploaded to this
    site OK,.. Otherwise I'd be more inclined to suspect some hi-jack malware associated with the problem image.

RicW-nw, Jun 3, 2017
  3. Rushwomp Win User
    Unable to open jpeg file error - "class not registered".

A bit more info about my problem. Any jpeg when I try double click won't open just shows " invalid value for registry" if I right click on the jpeg and select open with, it will open with windows photo viewer, but not with photos. The photos icon is very
    faint.

When I click in the bottom left hand corner of my pc the tiles come up, but the one titled photos shows changing pictures, but can not be opened.

Rushwomp, Jun 3, 2017
  4. .jpeg images won't open, strange icon

What is your default program you use to open .jpeg images?

Josey Wales, Jun 3, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    It appears to me the downloaded image is broken/corrupted, probably need to download it again.

Berton, Jun 3, 2017
  6. Anak Win User
    Hi CanonCalculator, Welcome to 10F! *Smile

The cogs and that behaviour sounds like a system32 file and kind of proves it when opened it looks like a "bunch of code".

I hope its not malware *Sad
    Did you get any flags from your anti-virus when you downloaded it? You can still scan it or if you want to, go here: VirusTotal online scanner to scan the file to check it out

Anak, Jun 3, 2017
  7. I did that, but it still stayed the same.

8. .jpeg images won't open, strange icon

I'm pretty sure its the default Windows 10 one, I'm just forgetting the name.

9. I didn't get any flags, and I even scanned it with my anti-virus software and found nothing on it. Curious, I decided to download another image, and the exact same thing happened. It's happened with all of the photos I've downloaded today, no matter what quality or size they are. I'm really stumped with this.

10. How are you downloading these images? Try to Right Click on one and use Save as.

Josey Wales, Jun 3, 2017
  11. That's what I've been doing.

CanonCalculator, Jun 4, 2017
  12. Could you post a link to one of these images?

Josey Wales, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

.jpeg images won't open, strange icon

1. .jpeg images won't open, strange icon - Similar Threads - jpeg images won't

2. Trouble conveting images to jpegs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble conveting images to jpegs: Hi. I'm having great difficulty in converting image files over to jpgs. I did have success in locating some of my Windows Spotlight Images from my C-Drive. First, I sorted all of the Windows Spotlight Images in descending order & only copied those images that were 500KB &...
  3. Photos app won't print JPEG images.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos app won't print JPEG images.: I work in IT at a public library. Some of our PCs accidently got updated to Windows 11, so we rolled back to 10. But now these PCs cannot print JPEG images anymore, at least not from the default Photos app. I just get an error about printer configuration. Has anyone had this...
  4. jpeg image icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    jpeg image icon: Microsoft recently made several unannounced changes to my computer. My jpeg icons no longer show the actual image. This is so frustrating! Does anyone know how I can get the images to show?...
  5. jpeg image icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    jpeg image icon: Microsoft recently made several unannounced changes to my computer. My jpeg icons no longer show the actual image. This is so frustrating! Does anyone know how I can get the images to show?...
  6. jpeg image icon

7. JPEG images

JPEG images: how do I select images out of a group and put into a separate file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpeg-images/6197aeec-e50e-4827-b517-ad338449bd40
  8. Photo app won't open JPEG files

Photo app won't open JPEG files: I am trying to open JPEG files in the photo app and I get an error message that this file format is not supported. How do I fix that? Same thing happens with photoviewer or photo gallery...
  9. Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files

Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files: Hello Windows 10 can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files in Photo viewer/Photos/Paint app. windows edition - Windows 10 Pro windows version - 2004 Installed on - 2020-07-16 OS build - 19041.388 Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  10. JPEG image to pdf

JPEG image to pdf: Hello. some time ago I had a piece of software that would convert a photo into a pdf. Bu the trick was it would allow me to resize the image to a larger size maybe print the image onto four or eight sheets of a4 paper then able to cut and join the four pieces together to make...