Windows 10: JPG file on Shared network drive has generic file extension, Windows 10

Discus and support JPG file on Shared network drive has generic file extension, Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was hoping someone might be able to assist me here. I have been browsing the web, with no success. I have hundreds of JPG images stored on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chris3220, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Chris3220 Win User

JPG file on Shared network drive has generic file extension, Windows 10

I was hoping someone might be able to assist me here. I have been browsing the web, with no success.

I have hundreds of JPG images stored on a network drive, mapped to my work AD account. Today I noticed that the software I use could not automatically locate any of the JPG images, as it does normally. Upon inspection, it seems that all of those files are now listed as that Generic 'FILE' type.

The odd thing is that I can set my folder options to show extensions, and manually add (not change) the 'JPG' extension to resolve each one. Unfortunately, this fix is not practical due the amount of photos on that share.

My IT evaluated my access rights, and it seems nothing has changed. I have not been removed or otherwise cut from the user-group who have read/write access to that share.

Any assistance with this would be great appreciated!

***Modified Title from: JPG Images that were stored on a shared network drive, now have no extension. (Generic FILE Type)***

:)

Chris3220, Jan 19, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 19, 2019
  3. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jan 19, 2019
  4. JPG file on Shared network drive has generic file extension, Windows 10

File sharing help

Does your router have a USB port? Mine lets you just plug in a thumb drive with files on it ,and they can be accessed from any device on the network. Dont know if this has been tried, if it has just ignore

jboydgolfer, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

JPG file on Shared network drive has generic file extension, Windows 10

1. JPG file on Shared network drive has generic file extension, Windows 10 - Similar Threads - JPG file Shared

2. File sharing on a Windows 10 network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing on a Windows 10 network: I have no problem accessing my notebook files from my desktop. but can't access my desktop files from my notebook. Any files on my desktop for which I select Network sharing, appear on my notebook Network display, but when I click on them I get the message: : "Windows cannot...
  3. Windows 10 Network File Sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Network File Sharing: Is there any lightweight alternative for network file sharing? Current Windows 10 file sharing so unreliable and breaks so easily that i'm frankly sick of it. It seems every feature update it breaks in some way or another with some computers not being visible and/or...
  4. File sharing windows 10 network

File sharing windows 10 network: Hi all, I am running Win 10 home 64 bit on 2 PC's networked via Wi-Fi. I have a number of folders set to share on PC1. However, I can only see the shared folders if I type the network name in the search box. I used to be able to see them in File Explorer without...
  5. Network / File share

Network / File share: I have just about given up trying to share files and folders between computers on my home LAN. I have a desktop PC and a Microsoft Surface, both running fully updated Windows 10. Sometimes, they can see each other in File Explorer under network. Most often they cannot....
  6. JPG Images that were stored on a shared network drive, now have no extension. (Generic FILE...

JPG Images that were stored on a shared network drive, now have no extension. (Generic FILE...: I was hoping someone might be able to assist me here. I have been browsing the web, with no success. I have hundreds of JPG images stored on a network drive, mapped to my work AD account. Today I noticed that some software I use could not automatically locate any of the JPG...
  7. File Sharing on the network

File Sharing on the network: I want to share files with other specific users on our small LAN (7 PC's). Here is as far as I can get: I navigate to the file I want to share. Right click on the file Select Give access to Choose "Specific people" In Network Access I find my own sign-on is already...
  8. Network File Sharing

Network File Sharing: I can't figure out how to set up file sharing between my laptop and desktop computers. Turning on file sharing on Control Panel doesn't do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-file-sharing/86e05328-0426-49dc-9068-bf4fc746f87f
  9. network / file sharing

network / file sharing: Hi I have desktop and 2 laptops running windows 10. Homegroup is not available. I have shared the files / folders I want to use but the laptops/PCs only show up as media devices. I have shared the files exactly as shown on your help pages. All 3 devices can link to...
  10. network file sharing

network file sharing: I apologize if this is not allowed here and will understand if it gets removed. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to resolve this. I need this for work. I don't want to have to buy a laptop with Windows just to do this. Thank you everyone. I am...