Windows 10: JPG Images that were stored on a shared network drive, now have no extension. (Generic FILE...

Discus and support JPG Images that were stored on a shared network drive, now have no extension. (Generic FILE... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was hoping someone might be able to assist me here. I have been browsing the web, with no success. I have hundreds of JPG images stored on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chris3220, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Chris3220 Win User

JPG Images that were stored on a shared network drive, now have no extension. (Generic FILE...

I was hoping someone might be able to assist me here. I have been browsing the web, with no success.

I have hundreds of JPG images stored on a network drive, mapped to my work AD account. Today I noticed that some software I use could not automatically locate any of the JPG images, as it does normally. Upon inspection, it seems that all of those files are now listed as that Generic 'FILE' type.

The odd thing is that I can set my folder options to show extensions, and manually add (not change) the 'JPG' extension to resolve each one. Unfortunately, this fix is not practical due the amount of photos on that share.

My IT evaluated my access rights, and it seems nothing has changed. I have not been removed or otherwise cut from the user-group who have read/write access to that share.

Any assistance with this would be great appreciated!

:)

Chris3220, Jan 17, 2019

2. cannot open files on network shared drive

Is the remote shared folder mapped? Do you have a drive letter assigned to it?
    I'd suggest calling the software developer and asking them.

thebluebumblebee, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Platibus Win User
    Stored files in Hard Drive

I'd like to know if there's a way of listing all the files stored in my hardware and arrange them by size, because I want to keep track of what's on my hard drive. Thanks, I hope you answer.

Platibus, Jan 17, 2019
  4. Drone Win User

JPG Images that were stored on a shared network drive, now have no extension. (Generic FILE...

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

1. JPG Images that were stored on a shared network drive, now have no extension. (Generic FILE... - Similar Threads - JPG Images were

2. Why do my jpg now have a .dcm extension?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my jpg now have a .dcm extension?: Why do my photos that are in the cloud have a .dcm extension? I am unable to open them without downloading a third party software. I have tried to remove the .dcm extension only to lose the photo completely. I have tried opening them online and nothing happens....
  3. Why do my jpg now have a .dcm extension?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do my jpg now have a .dcm extension?: Why do my photos that are in the cloud have a .dcm extension? I am unable to open them without downloading a third party software. I have tried to remove the .dcm extension only to lose the photo completely. I have tried opening them online and nothing happens....
  4. Share drive on network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Share drive on network: The Windows 10 installation on a new Dell XPS is configured without the Everyone user for the C:\ object in the Security tab. So I can't share the drive. I can share folders, no problem. I tried adding Everyone, but got a series of errors related to in use files and...
  5. Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared Network Drive: I can no longer access my shred network drive. When I try to reconnect my other machine ask for credentials. Both machine use my one Microsoft account. I did not have this problem until a few days ago. Up until then it had been working fine. What is causing this problem and...
  6. .jpg vs .jfif extension

.jpg vs .jfif extension: In the last few months, every windows update changes the registry setting for saving jpeg images from .jpg to .jfif. Why is this continually changing even after I change the registry setting back to .jpg? As a side note, the image I am saving is NOT a .jfif file and I do...
  7. shared network drive

shared network drive: I am using Windows 10 version 1809 build 17763.292 and have set up my home private network. Why do I have to keep doing a network reset on my main computer in order for my notebook to be able to connect to my shared usb drive?...
  8. JPG file on Shared network drive has generic file extension, Windows 10

JPG file on Shared network drive has generic file extension, Windows 10: I was hoping someone might be able to assist me here. I have been browsing the web, with no success. I have hundreds of JPG images stored on a network drive, mapped to my work AD account. Today I noticed that the software I use could not automatically locate any of the JPG...
  9. File Manager: were is it now?

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Manager: were is it now?: I can't locate File Manager anymore. After the update week of 9-17-2018 had to do a reinstall on Windows 10. Originally was W7 and did the W10 update last year. Since the new install all kinds of things are different or gone. Is this another preW10 legacy setting that was...
  10. Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons: Hi: Since updating to Windows 10, whenever I open file folders to view jpgs, the files' thumbnails are a generic blue mountain icon instead of thumbnails of the images themselves. How do I get the icons to go back to being thumbnail images again? Is there a command or menu...