Windows 10: jpg's and mp3's not grouping correctly in File Explorer

Discus and support jpg's and mp3's not grouping correctly in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm using Win 10 Pro, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.285 I have found, while using File Explorer, that some jpg's and mp3's will not be grouped together... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xpac5896, Oct 8, 2018.

1. xpac5896 Win User

jpg's and mp3's not grouping correctly in File Explorer

I'm using Win 10 Pro, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.285
    I have found, while using File Explorer, that some jpg's and mp3's will not be grouped together by use of "Name" in File Explorer, like most are. I've included a screen shot for clarification.
    I use MP3Tag for all mp3's and I have tried to find discrepancies i.e.: misspelling, punctuation, spaces anything that might cause a problem but I have not been able to find any. I use a number at the end of each jpg to indicate record cover and album cover in case you're wondering why the numbers, 1=record, 2=album. Just wondering if it could have anything to do with the "Title" of the mp3? I've used a separate folder and placed the mp3s and jpg's just to see what would happen and I end up with the same result as if it would be in the primary folder. I've also placed the separate mp3 and jpgs in a separate folder and, needless to say I have no problem.
    The reason why I'm asking this is because I had the album and record but I found the mp3 to match clear down at least one screen (screen shows only about 12 mp3s with record and album cover) which makes you think you don't have the mp3 to match. If it's "Title" then I'll have to live with it.

:)

xpac5896, Oct 8, 2018
  2. Steve C Win User

Can't edit mp3 tags from explorer

I had a hard time a few weeks ago compiling MP3 files to play on MZD Connect on my Mazda. There were various tagging and data integrity issues which I fixed as below. My approach may be overkill for your needs!

MP3 File Analysis

1. MP3 files store music metadata (ID3 Tags) which can be in several formats. ID3 Tag v2.3 has proven to work with MZD Connect. The ID3 Tags can be converted in iTunes by viewing the tracks in Library / Songs view then selecting File / Convert / Convert ID3 Tags, then select v2.3. An alternative method is listed in step 3 below.
    2. Use the free program Tagscanner https://www.xdlab.ru/en/ to check and edit the MP3 file metadata for artist, album art etc. The same editing can be done in iTunes but Tagscanner is much easier and faster. Check both the artist and album artist fields are completed, the song name & album name are correct, track number & disc number are set and that embedded album art is present for every track. Note multiple tracks can be selected and edited simultaneously.
    3. Check the tags for each music file are correctly set to v2.3 in Tagscanner. Cut the tag then paste it back in the same place to set v2.3 if the incorrect version is set.
    4. Perform a Google image search for the artist and album name to find a JPG file for missing album covers. Save a suitable artwork file size c. 300x300 pixels then add the album art for each track in Tagscanner.
    5. Use free program MP3Test http://www.shivi.de/MP3Test-EN.html to quickly check and test for MP3 file errors. Correct any simple errors using Tagscanner.
    6. Use the free program MP3Diags http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/ to perform a detailed check of MP3 files and correct errors. This program has a learning curve and some experience to use. Inexperienced computer users may prefer to skip this step and just rely on step 5 above.

Steve C, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Jimmy9190 Win User
    File Explorer is numbering MP3 files twice

I can post a screen shot tonight when I get home after work. I created some of my mp3's straight from my CD library with Itunes starting back about 3 or 4 years ago. Others I bought already in mp3 format from Amazon and MP3Million. Either way I just created album folders and copied the songs to their respective albums.

I never saw the extra numbers for each mp3 until after the Fall CU. I like the albums to be listed in alphabetical order both in the car and on my laptop but my car radio displays the albums in the order they are copied to the flash drive. If I just add new albums to the flash drive they will be at the end of the list so to keep it all in alphabetical order I have to erase the entire flash drive then re-copy the master mp3 list to it again. That was what happened when I first had this odd numbering problem. I bought a few albums last week, added them to the master list, re-copied the whole list back to my flash drive and when I played it in my car the music plays fine but Windows had re-numbered every single song on the flash drive, no matter how old the file might be.

It would be a royal pain to manually correct the number sequence of over 3500 mp3's so I hope I can find a solution. Thanks again for all the help on this.

Jimmy

Jimmy9190, Oct 8, 2018
  4. jpg's and mp3's not grouping correctly in File Explorer

File explorer (Grouping files)

I already do something very similar, i was just hoping to be able to have the files in groups rather then as a long list. Hopefully someone knows how to edit these inbuilt group options.

It is odd if windows added a group option, to group files, but wont let me create any groups to categorize the files in. jpg's and mp3's not grouping correctly in File Explorer :(

ChrisKongsh, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

jpg's and mp3's not grouping correctly in File Explorer

1. jpg's and mp3's not grouping correctly in File Explorer - Similar Threads - jpg's mp3's grouping

2. Howcan MP3 & MP$ audio files turn into JPG Pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Howcan MP3 & MP$ audio files turn into JPG Pictures: I have windows 10 home and everything is current on updates. I use Windows Defender and Malware Bytes. I will attach complete screen shots of my operating system. Can anyone tell me how almost all of my MP# & MP4 audio music files suddenly converted themselves to two JPG...
  3. Howcan MP3 & MP$ audio files turn into JPG Pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Howcan MP3 & MP$ audio files turn into JPG Pictures: I have windows 10 home and everything is current on updates. I use Windows Defender and Malware Bytes. I will attach complete screen shots of my operating system. Can anyone tell me how almost all of my MP# & MP4 audio music files suddenly converted themselves to two JPG...
  4. File Explorer Grouping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Grouping: I recently upgraded to 22H2. i want my folders to look like this instead it keeps resetting to thisI've tried doing this but it keeps resetting to defaults https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-grouping/07eb0397-6b70-4ab2-a9a8-6b2352cf94dd
  5. File Explorer Grouping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Grouping: I recently upgraded to 22H2. i want my folders to look like this instead it keeps resetting to thisI've tried doing this but it keeps resetting to defaults https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-grouping/07eb0397-6b70-4ab2-a9a8-6b2352cf94dd
  6. Group By in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Group By in File Explorer: Hello, Each time I open "Downloads" folder in file explorer, its "Grouped By". Have to select "None" to view it normally. Next time its again "Grouped By". How do I get rid of this and set it to be always as "None". Answers will be appreciated. Thanks Window 10 pro x 64,...
  7. JPG Files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    JPG Files in File Explorer: How can I change how Windows 10 opens a JPG file from File Explorer? I was using Paint Shop Pro X3 but it is an old version and not working anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpg-files-in-file-explorer/65effe9c-6639-489d-ab52-ab34c62aa031
  8. mp3 file Crashing File explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mp3 file Crashing File explorer: Hello Couple weeks ago my mp3 files were fine I was hearing songs just fine. But then I let to repair my laptops keys and came back with the audio not working. Some how i fixed it and its fine. Later on I open groove music and suddenly it crashed im thinking that it maybe...
  9. File Explorer and MP3's

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and MP3's: How do you get the artist visible on a single MP3? In other words, if I have a number of mp3's in a folder and I want the artist to be visible, the ribbon gives me the ability too show "Album artist", View>Add columns>Album artist, the MP3's in the folder are single, non...
  10. MP3's stopped working correctly.

in Windows 10 Support
    MP3's stopped working correctly.: When I click on an MP3 file a dialog opens asking which player to use. No matter which player I choose the dialog just reopens. If I click on a WMA file it opens my default player and plays fine. If I leave the player window open and drag the MP3 onto it it plays just fine....