Windows 10: Jump Lists No Longer Appear

Discus and support Jump Lists No Longer Appear in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After the uninstallation of some software yesterday, I no longer have jump lists in my taskbar icons. I right click on them, and there's no response... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lightwriter, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Jump Lists No Longer Appear

After the uninstallation of some software yesterday, I no longer have jump lists in my taskbar icons. I right click on them, and there's no response whatsoever. Right click functionality on the taskbar itself and in all other places appears to be normal. I'm hoping there will be a relatively simple registry key I can edit or something. Anyone have some suggestions?

:)

lightwriter, Mar 28, 2017
  2. HenryLS Win User

Jump Lists not working in Windows 10

I purchased a Windows 10 laptop in April 2016. Jump list (Task bar and Start Menu) worked fine until I had a computer virus, which required online help from AVG. They erased all history and their were no recent files to be seem on Office 2010 apps or other
    apps. I noticed the files I usually work on did not repopulate the jump lists after this event.

I deleted files in BOTH %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Roaming\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations and %APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

I deleted everything in the Recent Items

Somewhere in this thread is a line to enter in the registry to enable Jump Lists. I added this line, to no effect.

I turned show jump lists off and on, rebooted multiple times.

I reset the show recent files in Excel and Word to 0 then reset them to 9.

Jump lists no longer appear at all with Adobe Reader.

Any file that would have been a recent file one month ago in Office Apps, Quicken will not appear in a Jump List (but will appear in the recent lists within those programs) New files or files that haven't been accesses in months will appear in the Jump
    List. The old files do reappear in the Recent Items list.

It's as if there is one more file that needs to be deleted, that is blocking these items from the jump list.

AVG told me I need to buy their program to look for new drivers. Huh? I have a second user identity on this computer, which I rarely use and any file can be added to it's jump lists.

HenryLS, Mar 28, 2017
  3. On upgrade to Windows 10 1607, jump list arrows no longer appear on start menu items

Jump lists are turned on in settings, but they only appear in items on the taskbar. Jump list arrows do not appear next to "most used" apps in the Start menu. This is a major annoyance, because I like to launch my Excel and Word files from the start menu,
    and now the jump lists are only usable in the taskbar, which means I have to pin a bunch of stuff to the taskbar to have jump lists.

Is there a simple way to get jump lists active again on the Start menu?

R. Hansen_690, Mar 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Jump Lists No Longer Appear

You could try this free program (easy to find) - options switch jump lists on and off.

Jump Lists No Longer Appear [​IMG]

(a nice feature of it is if you mouse over the taskbar, the scroll wheel controls volume)

There's also this setting (bottom) (just search Settings for jump)

Jump Lists No Longer Appear [​IMG]

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    Do a System Restore to a time before the software uninstall.

spunk, Mar 29, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ye-es.. but
    a. The uninstalled program will be reinstated, so the problem isn't properly resolved.
    b. A number are experiencing system restore issues. If it works- great, if it doesn't, tricky to resolve.

On the other hand, if you uninstalled several programs, you might then be able to identify which one the jump list problem is related to. But I'm not sure how that would really help....!

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  7. You'd have to switch on "show recently used apps" as shown inn attached picture above. Your jumplists will return (in windows 10)

aartdezeeuw, Mar 29, 2017
  8. Jump Lists No Longer Appear

Well none of that worked. I wound up having to reset the PC. Thanks, though, to everyone who took time to respond.

lightwriter, Mar 29, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    We did try. Thank you for letting us know. Some things break and can't be fixed. It's trial and error.

But you should now realise how valuable it would be to have a means to fix things like this- a way to have a second chance- without the need of technical assistance.

Here's how.

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.
    (There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect - Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Jump Lists No Longer Appear

1. Jump Lists No Longer Appear - Similar Threads - Jump Lists Longer

2. Jump lists?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jump lists?: Win 10 Pro 22H2, fully up-to-date.Not sure this is a Jump List issue or something else...In the past, when I clicked Start>Run I could click the v at right end of the Open: box to pop up and select from a list of recently run apps, eg, msinfo32, regedit, services.msc, etc....
  3. Jump lists?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Jump lists?: Win 10 Pro 22H2, fully up-to-date.Not sure this is a Jump List issue or something else...In the past, when I clicked Start>Run I could click the v at right end of the Open: box to pop up and select from a list of recently run apps, eg, msinfo32, regedit, services.msc, etc....
  4. Jump lists?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. JUMP Lists

JUMP Lists: Do JUMP Lists still work in the Windows 10 taskbar? For Windows 10 Home, Version 20H2, OS build 19042.1165. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-lists/30e338af-26cf-434d-9f56-d39d975ba257
  6. Network List No Longer Appears

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network List No Longer Appears: When I click on the WiFi menu, it does not show any networks. There is only a link to Network & Internet Settings. The WiFi button the one that turns it on and off is not even there. The airplane mode button is there, however. I have an HP 15-dy1074nr. This started occurring...
  7. Jump list

Jump list: If you don't want jump list on the web browser in the taskbar 1.Settings 2.personalisation 3.start 4.Show recently opened items in jump list on start or the taskbar, click off. However this works only once, when you reboot and use your web browser, the jump list ends up...
  8. jump list

jump list: hello people is there a hack or tweak out there that wil let me change the order of my pinned itmes in the jumplist you used to be able to drag them,,, but no more 92365
  9. Recently opened items not appearing in jump lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Recently opened items not appearing in jump lists: The recently-opened items are not appearing in start menu jump lists despite the correct setting (see sceenshot). Any advice? Thanks. [img] 42013
  10. Windows Explorer Sort List No Longer Appears

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Sort List No Longer Appears: I'm using Win10 Anniversary Update. After getting the Anniversary Update, I noticed that the drop-down list in Windows Explorer no longer appears when one clicks on it under "Details View." Please, see the image below: [img] For example, let us say that I wanted to...