Windows 10: Just can't get OS boot drive size to extend

Discus and support Just can't get OS boot drive size to extend in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So my C drive is running low on space and I figured I would expand it. After exploring a few communities I found out that free unallocated space has to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sajjadakedavra, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Just can't get OS boot drive size to extend

So my C drive is running low on space and I figured I would expand it. After exploring a few communities I found out that free unallocated space has to be present right next to C drive to extend the size of the drive.
    I managed to free up the reserved 500mb and sure enough, the extend button is not grayed out anymore on the disk management app of windows 10. But I want atleast 50 gigs more and I tried everything that I know, namely: using AOMEI partition assistant to clone the EFI partition so I could delete the existing EFI partition on the right of C drive which would enable me to assign space from D drive to C drive, using AOMEI to force assign space to C drive from other drives which only resulted in windows restarting and nothing else, creating a new EFI partition by using console.
    I want to know if there is any way for me to move unallocated free space taken from other drives directly to the right of C drive or extend C drive in any other way except for reinstalling windows?

System specs:
    windows 10 1903 version
    HDD space: 1TB

submitted by /u/sajjadakedavra
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sajjadakedavra, Apr 6, 2020

2. Extend C drive Size

Your Image does not show a D partition. It does show an F partition which if reduced in size would enable you to increase the size of the C partition.

These are the steps needed to enable you to increase the size of your C partition:

• Reduce F by 20 gb placing the unallocated space before F.

• Increase the Recovery partition by 20 gb taking up unallocated space created by Step 1.

• Reduce the Recovery partition by 20 gb placing the unallocated space before the Recovery partition.

• Increase the C partition by 20 gb to take in the unallocated space before the Recovery partition.

You can use Easeus Partition Manager (freeware) to carry out these tasks. The files in each partition are automatically moved when you carry out each step detailed above.

Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS® Partition Master Free

How to extend system partition when there is no unallocated space next to it?

http://www.partition-tool.com/knowledge-base/how-to-extend-system-partition.htm

Gerry C J Cornell, Apr 6, 2020
  3. Extending and shrinking drive sizes on dual boot system.

Still not seeing the screenshot, but here is what I suggest you do.

If you want to allocate space to the boot drive, which is the drive, you will need to resize the second drive.

First:

• Create a recovery drive:
    Download Ease
    us partition manager
    and install it.

• After installing Easeus partition manager, launch the program.
    • Select thesecond drivewhere
      Windows is installed.
    • Click Resize/Move button on the toolbar
    Under Decide size and position, use the slider then drag to the left until a desired amount of space is allocated -
    choose the amount you want to give the drive. Look in the Unallocated Space Before: field to see how much. Once that is done, release.

You will now see an unallocated amount of disk space created. Click OK

Click Apply and OK to confirm changes.

Your computer will be restarted to apply the changes.

After restart, log in and launch Disk Management – press Windows key + R > type:
    diskmgmt.msc then hit Enter on your keyboard.

Select the Windows drive partition, right click it then click Extend Volume

Select the Unallocated space we created earlier, click Next then click Finish.

Important note: Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link

Andre Da Costa, Apr 6, 2020
  4. Just can't get OS boot drive size to extend

How to extend OS drive volume in Windows 10.?

, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu

I want to extend so your answer is really frustrating ans. I want to extend so why should i shrink and select extend? Extend option is already Dim or unavailable?

Amjad Ali (amjad.ali), Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

Just can't get OS boot drive size to extend

1. Just can't get OS boot drive size to extend - Similar Threads - can't boot drive

2. Can't extend C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't extend C Drive: I have a device with windows 11 and tried to organize the file by splitting the Drive to C Drive for programs and such things while have D Drive for managing daily files. After making the first spilt I discovered the size of C drive are too small. I have tried several time to...
  3. Can't extend C Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't extend C Drive: I have a device with windows 11 and tried to organize the file by splitting the Drive to C Drive for programs and such things while have D Drive for managing daily files. After making the first spilt I discovered the size of C drive are too small. I have tried several time to...
  4. Extend drive size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extend drive size: I want to extend my c drive size. I go to diskmgmt.msc and follow the steps. When I right click on drive c the extend capability is grayed out.I am running as admin, it is listed as NTFS, I have unallocated space on my d drive. Is the problem that I do not have space "after"...
  5. Extend drive size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend drive size: I want to extend my c drive size. I go to diskmgmt.msc and follow the steps. When I right click on drive c the extend capability is grayed out.I am running as admin, it is listed as NTFS, I have unallocated space on my d drive. Is the problem that I do not have space "after"...
  6. Extend drive size

7. Extend volume grayed out. Want to extend to the full size of drive

Extend volume grayed out. Want to extend to the full size of drive: Got a new drive installed, got windows 10 moved to the new drive. NOW I want to have the whole drive available as C: and nothing has let me do that, Instead, it adds a partition for the rest of the drive and will not let me allocate it to C:....
  8. Extend volume grayed out. Want to extend to the full size of drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend volume grayed out. Want to extend to the full size of drive: Got a new drive installed, got windows 10 moved to the new drive. NOW I want to have the whole drive available as C: and nothing has let me do that, Instead, it adds a partition for the rest of the drive and will not let me allocate it to C:....
  9. Extend volume grayed out. Want to extend to the full size of drive

10. Extend C Drive Size

Extend C Drive Size: Hi! I already have 1TB of HDD in my laptop. But I want to extend increase the space or size in my C drive. What should I do? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-c-drive-size/eaa0f655-67dd-4322-acc8-52c012fc8835