Windows 10: just cloned a drive and files are all there, BUT used space differs?

Discus and support just cloned a drive and files are all there, BUT used space differs? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] I used Macrium for the clone one drive 33.2 other 24.2 used up one drive 152 other 161 free space This is around 9 gb in difference? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Jan 4, 2021.

1. just cloned a drive and files are all there, BUT used space differs?

just cloned a drive and files are all there, BUT used space differs? [​IMG]

I used Macrium for the clone
    one drive 33.2 other 24.2 used up
    one drive 152 other 161 free space

This is around 9 gb in difference?

I checked all the few directories, and all the numbers of files are equal

Why is there this difference between these 2 IDE drives?,
    C: is a Maxtor
    D: is a WDC

:)

sdowney717, Jan 4, 2021
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jan 4, 2021
  3. Lost space of Pen Drive

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Have you tried connecting to a different computer?
    I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

First back up all the data from your USB drive to another location.

I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to refresh the drive letter and then try to rescan the drives that are connect to the computer and check.

To refresh drive letter:

• Open Computer Management (Local).
    • In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click
      Storage, and then click Disk Management.
    • Click Action, and then click Refresh.
    • Once you have refreshed connect the new zip drive and to update hardware information, click Rescan Disks instead.
    Step 2: For unallocated space on USB drive

• Press the Windows key, and type Diskpart.

• Click the result to open the DiskPart command prompt window.

• In the command prompt window, type list disk and hit Enter.

• The removable USB drive or hard disk will be shown under
      Disk 1.

• Type in the following commands and hit Enter.
    select disk 1

Clean

create partition primary

• The first command selects your removable USB drive.

• The Clean command deletes all the current partitions present on the USB drive.

• The Create primary partition creates a fresh partition and allocates all the unallocated space on this fresh partition.

• Type Exit to close the command prompt window.

• Unplug your USB drive and plug it back again.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jan 4, 2021
  4. just cloned a drive and files are all there, BUT used space differs?

Jefferson Ore, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

just cloned a drive and files are all there, BUT used space differs?

1. just cloned a drive and files are all there, BUT used space differs? - Similar Threads - cloned drive files

2. Difference in the total size of files in C: and used space n C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference in the total size of files in C: and used space n C: drive: I am using Windows 10 and I am cleaning my C drive. While cleaning, I noticed that the difference between the space used in Drive C and the total file size in Drive C is way too big, around 30 GB.The difference still exists although I have: Unhidden filesCleaned up system...
  3. Difference in the total size of files in C: and used space n C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difference in the total size of files in C: and used space n C: drive: I am using Windows 10 and I am cleaning my C drive. While cleaning, I noticed that the difference between the space used in Drive C and the total file size in Drive C is way too big, around 30 GB.The difference still exists although I have: Unhidden filesCleaned up system...
  4. Difference in the total size of files in C: and used space n C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files

Total space used in drive way more than the space used by all my files: So, I ran a chkdsk on my E: Drive and noticed the used up space has suddenly increased. All the files collectively including hidden files occupy only 37.5 GB data but the disk is showing 60 GB used space only 115GB free in 175GB drive. I thought there are probably some bad...
  6. C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive: basically my c drive has 217gb storage ssd of which 103 gb is shown as used space . when I select all the files in c drive and check on properties only 40 gb is shown as size on disk .then i should have have additional 77 gb storage kindly help me windows 10 os...
  7. Hard drive space disappeared after cloning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive space disappeared after cloning: My 500 GB hard drive space kept shrinking so I installed a 1t ssd m2 Western Digital and used Acronis to do a clone. On the 'old' hard drive the space used was around 453g. After the clone to the new 1t ssd I had the same thing..453g. I extended the partition on the 'new' ssd...
  8. Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections

Using Storage Spaces of drives with different SATA connections: Hi We have two 1Tb discs setup as a mirrored pool providing 1Tb of usable storage - it is all working as expected. The two discs are both SATA 3Gb/s. We are considering purchasing two larger SATA 6Gb/s discs and moving the pool, this seems easy enough to do The...
  9. Moving from 1tb drive to 2... how to expand cloned drive to use all excess space ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving from 1tb drive to 2... how to expand cloned drive to use all excess space ?: Cloned 1tb drive to new hard drive .. but new drive still has it at 930 gb with around that much unallocated? submitted by /u/pittguy578 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fjl09s/moving_from_1tb_drive_to_2_how_to_expand_cloned/
  10. Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive: My operating system runs on a Corsair SSD hard drive. I plan to clone the OS to a much larger Samsung SSD hard drive using Acronis.. And I wonder if there will be any compatibility issues between the hard drives? 137880