Windows 10: Just Curious ... Why is everyone excited about Windows 10 ??

Discus and support Just Curious ... Why is everyone excited about Windows 10 ?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; "why keep dragging us through the Win10 hate postings?" Like i'm twisting your arm forcing you to read my post. Don't like it go to another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hockeytown Wax, Aug 25, 2015.

1. acmanten Win User

Just Curious ... Why is everyone excited about Windows 10 ??

Keeping looking on Win 10, and learning about Win 10 and YOU will find that reason. . . . Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 25, 2015
  2. brummyfan Win User

So, where can he discuss Windows 10 other than this forum? I don't like to drive people away just because they have different opinion than myself*Wink

brummyfan, Aug 25, 2015
  3. I'm excited about Windows 10 because I have been using it since October in order to learn it and welcomed July 29th when I could use it for all my computing. I have it running on all four of the computers in the house and my wife made the transition from 7 to 10 almost without comment or questions. About all she has said is that she likes it and has no trouble using it.

I think it is a richer computing enviroment than 7 or 8 and it feels to me like a classic already. I especially like saving Desktop and Taskbar real estate by using the Start Menu tiles. The Getting Started app has a lot more in it than I anticipated. The transition has been no trouble at all. Nothing ever pleases everybody but that doesn't seem to have stopped MSFT from trying to.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 25, 2015
  4. Just Curious ... Why is everyone excited about Windows 10 ??

The posting from this person is far from a different opinion.

digitalcurisity, Aug 25, 2015
  5. Something I never understood DeaconFrost ...

If Microsoft gives us a bazillion options to pick from when we install any Office product, why can't they provide us with the same options when we install their OS ??

Why can't they provide us with a basic, stripped down, do nothing OS, and then let US pick which features to install ??

Why force us to use a OS with mobile features on a desktop computer ??

Hockeytown Wax, Aug 25, 2015
  6. There are plenty of other forums. The point is, this is a constructive forum. If a person needs help using Windows 10, many of us are here to help. This is no place for people who want to rant and rave that Microsoft didn't design Window 10 to their personal specifications. It drags down the goal of these forums. I'm not going to join a Cadillac forum to rant and rave about how their cars are junk compared to BMW and Audi, so why would someone do that here.

If a person doesn't like Windows 10 and doesn't feel that it is worth the cost (free), they are free to not use it. There are other options...but not ever one of them needs to start a thread telling us they don't like it.

DeaconFrost, Aug 25, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    MS wants to develop one core OS and cut the costs of developing multiple ones.. one for desktop and one for mobile. And I don't think MS would provide a stripped down OS.. for cost reasons and I don't know what the number of people would use/want that.

BunnyJ, Aug 25, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

I see your point and in the OP it's just a rant. If the OP has questions then he should ask them to get solutions. In post #12 I provided one.. no reply on that yet.

BunnyJ, Aug 25, 2015
  9. Boozad Win User
    If by point a) you mean forced driver update then yes, that is an issue (although there are ways to work around that).

Point b) is what bothers me; I was one of the biggest W7 fanboys out, I rejected W8 on face value (which in hindsight was wrong as with the installation of Start8 it looked and acted just like a square W7) but was intrigued by W10 to see what changes were being made from 8. Now I've been running Preview builds for months and am using W10 as an OBE and it behaves eactly like my 7 install, no matter which OS I boot into I can do my computing exactly the same. It doesn't take long to get used to 10, it's a damn good OS.

Boozad, Aug 25, 2015
  10. You are comparing a software app to an operating system. One has many superfluous features where as the other has necessary components. You could customize Windows 7, and you could customize the crap out of 8/8.1. Seems to be true in 10 as well. If you want to know why Microsoft is building in mobile options, you simply need to look at the latest hardware offerings. The lines separating desktops, laptops, and tablets are blurring. My Surface Pro 3 is a perfect example of that.

If the OS doesn't offer these features, hardware manufacturers won't innovate. In this case, it doesn't matter who comes first, the chicken (software) or the egg (hardware) as long as someone takes the first step. No one would make touch screen monitors if the OS didn't support it. It sounds like you don't take a look at the big picture of the industry.

DeaconFrost, Aug 25, 2015
  11. True, MS have cut down on customisation options a LOT. Some of that can be fixed with third party tools, like the Winaero Tweaker (I couldn't stand the default white title bars!) I suspect there's a way to change the desktop font, but you'll probably have to do it via the registry.

You can just turn Cortana and web searching off, and then the search button just behaves as it did in Windows 7/8. Modern apps take up very, very little hard drive space.

There's a powershell command to remove the default apps, either individually or all at once. I agree it was stupid not to let users choose to remove them via the add/remove components dialog, but it is still possible.

In terms of both memory and storage space it's considerably more efficient than Windows 7. I have it running on a tablet with 1 GB of ram and a paltry 16 GB SSD and it flies along. Yes it's annoying that Cortana's sitting there occupying 22 MB of ram when it's technically turned off, but it seems MS has made improvements elsewhere that more than offset that.

It's a HUGE improvement on Windows 8 for desktop users. I've now, happily, replaced Windows 8.1 on all machines I had running it. I'm keeping Windows 7 for my serious work machines, but for casual use Windows 10 is already pretty competent.

I'm sure there are many XP users that will be saying this right up to the point they get hit by something really nasty. I've seen elsewhere on this forum users who don't believe even antivirus software is necessary! Some people are setting themselves up for a world of hurt, but what can you do?

For the record I don't think Windows 10 is ready for prime time just yet, and I can see businesses passing on it until the constant "phoning home" practice is abolished, but it's not the disaster 8 was. I do wish it wasn't so screwed down in terms of customisation, you should never be telling users they need to use powershell, the command prompt or the registry editor to uninstall things or make simple UI changes.

xtcrefugee, Aug 25, 2015
  12. Geez ... the emotions in this thread ... it's like I told them their child was ugly or something. LMAO

Relax people ... I'm not here slamming all Microsoft products .... I'm just trying to figure out why they made Windows 10 the way it is.

When I beta tested Windows 2000 ... right from the very first build I could tell it was solid and stable and a no nonsense OS and couldn't wait to get off of Win98. Each OS since has had less of a "wow" factor, and now Windows 10 just makes me scratch my head and ask why.

I'm here to see if someone can help me understand its existence.

13. BunnyJ New Member

Ok.. and how can we do that?

BunnyJ, Aug 25, 2015
  14. yes BunnyJ .. thank you for that tut thread link. I'll look it over and see what it does.

15. As I posted once a thread starts going off into outer space, it just keeps on going and going and going and going and going. Sorta like for 500,000 light years for a short start.

digitalcurisity, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Just Curious ... Why is everyone excited about Windows 10 ?? - Similar Threads - Curious Why everyone

2. I am just curious about these.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am just curious about these.: I. Why did MS said to love Linux? In my opinion, they just said it to migrate to Linux to Windows because of WSL, and make them buy their products, than simply love open source. I used WSL, but things like Libre is slow, but MS office 2010 is faster. I have used other ones,...
  3. Curious about Workgroups

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Curious about Workgroups: Just learned about workgroups, domains, and homegroups. Since all Windows 10 systems are assigned a default workgroup of WORKGROUP, does that technically mean all Windows systems not on a domain are in a workgroup with at least 1 person? I know this question is kinda silly;...
  4. Curious about this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Curious about this: Is the disk partition System Reserved the same as the system drive? submitted by /u/Jaykocravden [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hssyzb/curious_about_this/
  5. just curious

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    just curious: How many of you have more than 2 external drives attached to your system? I have 4 ,storage , backups, video and pic editing, and just text , music and comics. How many of you have moved your dvd to "a" or "b" drive? originally old floppy drives? Mines B drive. 129372
  6. just curious

in Windows 10 Support
    just curious: How many of you have more than 2 external drives attached to your system? I have 4 ,storage , backups, video and pic editing, and just text , music and comics. How many of you have moved your dvd to "a" or "b" drive? originally old floppy drives? Mines B drive. 129372
  7. Just curious

in Windows 10 Support
    Just curious: When Windows 10 is installed on a computer that already has another version of Windows(7,8.1) is the original version completely uninstalled? 112975
  8. Just curious about my HD ('s)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Just curious about my HD ('s): When I look at the specifications, it shows these: Hard Drives 1 TB (SATA); 6 GB (Solid State Hybrid); 8 GB (Solid State) Does that mean there are three hard drives or is it three-in-one Hard drive? 26414
  9. Why I'm excited for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Why I'm excited for Windows 10: This is my first post in a VERY long time, sorry about the lack of posts! But anyhoo... Windows 10. This has been by far a very contentious Windows release mainly for the Windows Phone crowd as it means much of what was simply beautifully done with Windows Phone is now...
  10. Just a curious observation.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Just a curious observation.: Dell laptop running Win 10 Pro Insider Preview Acer laptop running Win 10 Home RTM I am used to set the date in this format.................. eg. 2/28/2016............M/d/yyyy My Acer has different formats which do not allow me to do that. It does not have M/d/yyyy...