Windows 10: Just done a clean install and now my M.2 is gone

Discus and support Just done a clean install and now my M.2 is gone in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; i had a dual boot and had to do a clean install of windows on my SSD and when i got into the partitions the M.2 wasn't shown, it doesn't show in disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Lexahh, Mar 11, 2021.

1. /u/Lexahh Win User

Just done a clean install and now my M.2 is gone

i had a dual boot and had to do a clean install of windows on my SSD and when i got into the partitions the M.2 wasn't shown, it doesn't show in disk management or bios. But it says samsung 970 evo in the post screen

submitted by /u/Lexahh
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Lexahh, Mar 11, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 11, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    No Boot, Drives Not detected, Can't Load Win10 Pleses Help!

Until the BIOS sees your M.2, there's nothing you can do. It does not matter if the M.2 is unformatted/unallocated, the BIOS should see it.
    1. Suggest that you take the M.2 out, clean all the contacts and re-seat it and hope this is the case.
    2. If step one fails. Connect your 250GB SSD back in using one of the SATA port to see if the BIOS recognize it. If it doen't, then it might be something wrong with the MB, if it does then boot up the Windows Installation USB, run diskpart, shrink it at least 40GB then create a partition, Leave it unallocated then install Windows there.

Also try to re-seat all other components such as Memory, Video card etc...

topgundcp, Mar 11, 2021
  4. Lagged Win User

M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Just done a clean install and now my M.2 is gone - Similar Threads - done clean install

2. Just done!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Just done!: Honestly, Microsoft, what’s the point of installing an update if it can’t be undone? I have a top-of-the-line HP Spectre X360, which I bought for $1800 with tax. It came with Windows 10, and I had no complaints. The machine worked fine. Then you started pushing this Windows...
  3. Done Clean Instal Now "Please Wait" And "Restart" Backgrounds Grey

in Windows 10 Support
    Done Clean Instal Now "Please Wait" And "Restart" Backgrounds Grey: Did a clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 and changed the login background and desktop colours, all ok. However I now find on "restarts" and "please Wait" messages with the spinning circles they now have a grey /blackish background instead of the usual blue...
  4. Installed Windows on a new M.2 while current Windows M.2 was connected. Now it's a mess.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installed Windows on a new M.2 while current Windows M.2 was connected. Now it's a mess.: First off, whatever team set up how installs of Windows 10 works with leaving the boot stuff on the old drive if you have it installed and only installing the other half of the files all deserve to be fired. It's pathetic how horrible Windows is when it comes to being user...
  5. Having trouble clean installing on an m.2 drive using split installer

Having trouble clean installing on an m.2 drive using split installer: Alright, this one has been a trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've built a new gaming rig and can't get through the windows 10 installation. Setup: MSI Z490I Unify Motherboard Samsung EVO 970 PLUS 2TB M.2 NVMe Windows 10 latest ISO via MS website. The only...
  6. Windows 10 clean install on m.2 nvme

Windows 10 clean install on m.2 nvme: I would like to do a clean reinstall of windows 10. I have two m.2 nvme drives, one is for os and programs, secondary for games. Is it necessary to remove the secondary drive to do a clean install? Hardware related, if it is necessary to remove the secondary drive do I...
  7. M.2 Installation problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    M.2 Installation problem: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MadSkillzBruh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/haykn5/m2_installation_problem/
  8. Just done a clean install of W10

Just done a clean install of W10: I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 pro and when I open Macrium reflect i find that my SSD drive, which I use purely for the O/S, has been split into four partitions. Does anyone know why this would be please. I would have thought that doing the clean install...
  9. Installed m.2 SSD and Windows; Now: Choose OS

Installed m.2 SSD and Windows; Now: Choose OS: I purchased an Acer Aspire E-15 and, on the recommendation of a review, bought a 128GB ADATA SU800 m.2 2280 SSD. Before installing the SSD, I booted up the computer and got everything working. I then shut it down, installed the SSD, and booted to the USB stick to install...
  10. Installed M.2 and cloned SSD, now not appearing in Windows

Installed M.2 and cloned SSD, now not appearing in Windows: Hey, So I decided to upgrade the storage on my computer using an M.2 (970 Evo), after i had installed the M.2 into the slot I used the Samsung Data Migration tool to clone my old SSD onto the drive. Before I cloned the drive it would appear in windows, but not I cannot...