Windows 10: Just formatted my old SSD. Should I use MBR or GPT?

Discus and support Just formatted my old SSD. Should I use MBR or GPT? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm selling my old PC and was unable to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my drive. I cleaned the disk using the command prompt and now I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wachiga, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Just formatted my old SSD. Should I use MBR or GPT?

I'm selling my old PC and was unable to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my drive. I cleaned the disk using the command prompt and now I have to initialise the disk. It's an older SSD (2014) so I'm not sure if I should do MBR or GPT?

submitted by /u/wachiga
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wachiga, Jul 5, 2020

2. How can I migrate my Windows 10 OS from an HDD to an SSD?

There is no problem with your migration. After finishing it, you can do the following:

1. Disconnect the source hard drive, then start the computer from the SSD.
    2. Restart your computer and enter the BIOS to set boot order.

You’d better keep the SSD format same as the HDD. Say, if the old hard disk is MBR, we suggest that you can convert the new one to MBR (if the new one is GPT format). Just notice the last few words in their guide.

Kristinelancer, Jul 5, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Just formatted my old SSD. Should I use MBR or GPT?

MBR & GPT - Upgrading Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10

Hi Henry,

I realize that you have queries regarding Windows 10 installation on the computer. I will certainly help you.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "drives D & E ", are you referring to internal hard disk or external hard disk?

I would like to inform you that when you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 on system C drive with SSD and MBR format.
    It will remain in same MBR format with SSD and all the old files will be present in Windows.old folder.

Regarding the second question, we will be able to recognize the extra two drive after upgrading to Windows 10.

If you plan to clean install, after upgrading to Windows 10, I suggest you to make sure if Windows 10 is activated or not. Windows 10 should be activated for performing a clean install after the
    upgrade.

Please get back to us with an update on queries regarding Windows 10 upgrade, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

Just formatted my old SSD. Should I use MBR or GPT?

1. Just formatted my old SSD. Should I use MBR or GPT? - Similar Threads - formatted old SSD

2. Converting SSD file format from "GPT" to "MBR"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting SSD file format from "GPT" to "MBR": Hello y'all i just wanted to ask if there is any kind of way to convert your ssd format from "GPT" to "MBR" safely without losing any data? i would appreciate anybody who can answer me....
  3. Converting SSD file format from "GPT" to "MBR"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Converting SSD file format from "GPT" to "MBR": Hello y'all i just wanted to ask if there is any kind of way to convert your ssd format from "GPT" to "MBR" safely without losing any data? i would appreciate anybody who can answer me....
  4. Converting SSD file format from "GPT" to "MBR"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. 2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??: I just got a new 2TB HHD and i want to know which partition style i need to use MBR or GPT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2tb-hdd-format-to-mbr-or-gpt/672f2d14-e381-4682-9f1b-9b89f016c52f
  6. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  7. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  8. SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?

SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?: Hello, Recently I've purchased a Kingston 240GB SSD. I initialized the SSD in GPT, and installed Windows 10. But, when I looked my 2TB HDD partitions, they are in MBR format. Will there have any stability issues when the SSD is in GPT and HDD in MBR? Do I need to change my...
  9. Format mbr external drive to gpt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format mbr external drive to gpt: I was recently instructed how to format a GPT external drive to MBR.It was 4 terabytes and now is only 2 terabytes.I understand why because it was explained on this site.What I would like to know is can I format it back to MBR so I can get the 4 terabytes back.Hope I...
  10. Something changed SSD format from GPT to MBR

Something changed SSD format from GPT to MBR: Updated from W10 1508 to the anniversary edition early this year - 250gb SSD as main drive, and system clone on a 750gb SSD/HDD hybrid, both GPT format. After a month or so the OS on the SSD crashed, and I could not re-load W10. Was told that the drive was formatted MBR....