Windows 10: Just got an external SSD, painfully slow space allocation on Steam

Discus and support Just got an external SSD, painfully slow space allocation on Steam in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is there anything I can do? The drive is fresh out of the box and seems to be transferring at least 200 MB/s with regular file transfers, but takes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tetsuo9999, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Just got an external SSD, painfully slow space allocation on Steam

Is there anything I can do? The drive is fresh out of the box and seems to be transferring at least 200 MB/s with regular file transfers, but takes ages to allocate disk space when using it as a storage device for Steam games. I've checked my motherboard (B360M PRO-VD) and apparently all the blue ports are 3,1, so that's not the issue either. Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/Tetsuo9999
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tetsuo9999, Jul 7, 2020

2. Windows 10 - Painfully slow

Mine's the same. Painfully slow! And no, it's not at all the gradual aging of a computer. It was super fast and responsive until the moment Windows 10 went on. Now each double click just on a folder in the file explorer takes a long time to open and respond.

Windows 10 looks shiny and new, but under the hood it's so much slower than what it replaced.

Drivers have been updated too, so any other suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!

GrahamKell, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Deniz1433 Win User
    How much space to allocate for Windows 10

I have a 1TB HDD. I am going to split it into 2 partitions and install Windows on the small one. Since I don’t have an SSD, how much space should I allocate to the Windows partition so it can run perfecly fine without space limitations? It says that Windows
    10 requires at least 9.5 GB allocated to it but allocating the bare minimum on it seems slow so I was thinking like 20GB should be fine until I saw someone on the internet saying 200GB. Please help me clarify how much should be okay. The reason I’m splitting
    them is that if my Windows gets corrupt (again) I can get my personal data back.

Deniz1433, Jul 7, 2020
  4. Cliff S Win User

Just got an external SSD, painfully slow space allocation on Steam

Cannot extend un-allocated space

If I may make a suggestion, when you receive software updates for all your 3rd party programs start saving the installers, and get ahold of any drivers from your OEM and save them to an external device, and think about a clean install and during install, destroy all partitions, then let Windows, set everything up as it needs. It should look like this then:

Just got an external SSD, painfully slow space allocation on Steam [​IMG]

***Note the unallocated is for my SSD for Garbage collection.***

Cliff S, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

Just got an external SSD, painfully slow space allocation on Steam

1. Just got an external SSD, painfully slow space allocation on Steam - Similar Threads - got external SSD

2. thumbnails painfully slow to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    thumbnails painfully slow to load: Hi, I bought a high powered Lenovo laptop for photo editing thinking I had all my bases covered - only to be tripped up by Windows 10 PAINFULLY slow loading and thus browsing of picture thumbnails. I have sometimes 1000s of photos in files that I need to view thumbnails of on...
  3. Fix Steam stuck on Allocating disk space on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Steam stuck on Allocating disk space on Windows 10: Some PC users when installing a game through the Steam client on their Windows 10 device, may notice they are stuck on the Allocating disk space screen. If you are experiencing a similar issue as well, you can try the solutions provided in this post to promptly resolve the...
  4. Allocating Disk Space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocating Disk Space: I allocated 1 terabyte to PopOS but I decided I don't like it much. How do I reallocate the space back to windows? submitted by /u/Lawfulness_Negative [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k102ok/allocating_disk_space/
  5. How can I remove allocated space from SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I remove allocated space from SSD?: I cancelled a download/installation, but it's still allocating space. For context, it's PoE. Does anyone know how I can remove it? [ATTACH] The yellow is what I assume is the allocated space. There's no option to open file location since it doesn't exist so I can't...
  6. Allocating Hard Drive Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Allocating Hard Drive Space: Lets start from the beginning. I dropped my computer about a month ago and the hard drive started to fail on me so i shut the computer down for a while, got a new hard drive, and used a dock like thing to clone the stuff from my dying hard drive to my new one. my issue now is...
  7. Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive: I recently built my PC from scratch and decided to use the: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0B As my Boot Drive / Steam Library. I am however noticing that my System Boot time can exceed 60 seconds if not longer (has taken...
  8. Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive: I recently built my PC from scratch and decided to use the: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0B As my Boot Drive / Steam Library. I am however noticing that my System Boot time can exceed 60 seconds if not longer (has taken...
  9. SurfaceBook Painfully slow on chrome

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SurfaceBook Painfully slow on chrome: Ive recently picked up a surfacebook 1 with dGPU and have noticed that compared to my old 2011 macbook pro and my friends surface2 that this surface book is extremely slow in chrome, switching tabs is very slow and loading new pages is even worse, ive noticed that its so slow...
  10. Windows 10 painfully slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 painfully slow: My old HP laptop running Windows 7 Pro crashed on me so I'm using my backup laptop a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series running Windows 10. It is ridiculously slow & beyond frustrating! I don't understand how a practically "new" computer (hardly ever used) is running so much slower...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does it take so long to allocate space on my external solid state drice