Windows 10: just inherited a good win 10 laptop-how do I refresh and eliminate previous owner info

Discus and support just inherited a good win 10 laptop-how do I refresh and eliminate previous owner info in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; just inherited a good win 10 laptop-how do I refresh and eliminate previous owner info-Thanks!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by stevesf, Jul 29, 2019.

1. stevesf Win User

just inherited a good win 10 laptop-how do I refresh and eliminate previous owner info

just inherited a good win 10 laptop-how do I refresh and eliminate previous owner info-Thanks!

:)

stevesf, Jul 29, 2019

2. Need to remove previous owner/administrator

Inherited a Win10 HP laptop. Need to remove the previous owner/administrator.

[Moved thread from: [MSN / Accounts, login, and signup / Account settings / Windows 10]

WayneDaniel, Jul 29, 2019
  3. Palazzo Win User
    Folder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed

Hi,

I have a folder within my Documents folder where the ownership and inheritance keep changing, preventing me for editing files in that folder until I manually fix it.

Most folders under Documents are owned by my Windows account (my Windows email address) and Inherit permissions at a drive level.

The folder just show 4 inherited permissions:

Admins:Full Control

SYSTEM:Full Control

Authenticated Users:Modify

Users:Read and Execute

But, even if I set this particular folder to the same permissions the owner gets changed to the Administrators group, the inheritance is completely removed, and the folder changed to specific permissions:

The 4 above become folder specific, and 4 new permissions are added:

SYSTEM:Special

Administrators:None

Authenticated Usersjust inherited a good win 10 laptop-how do I refresh and eliminate previous owner info :Delete

Users:None

And net, I can't make any changes to the folder contents. I can manually remove these, change the owner a reactivate the inheritance, and all is good, but minutes later, it reverts to the Administrators owner and non-inherited permissions.

This does not happen to other folders under Documents if I edit files i there.

Now, the only oddity about this folder is that I have been backing it up using Google Drive (i.e. I've selected it as the only folder to be backed up to Google Drive on this computer). As I suspected Google Backup and Sync was the culprit, I removed the
    folder from this (Although left Backup and Sync syncing the Google Drive).

However, this doesn't seem to have addressed the issue.

My main question is, is it possible to track the process that is changing the ownership/permissions. I've tried setting up auditing, but this doesn't seem to be giving me what I need, so I'd like some guidance on how I can best get that information.

Palazzo, Jul 29, 2019
  4. just inherited a good win 10 laptop-how do I refresh and eliminate previous owner info

Did my PC's previous owner have Windows 10?

Hi,

I got a laptop out of the dumpster. The disk was thoroughly dead so I replaced it and installed Window 8.1 (the version the laptop shipped with). The license key is in firmware, so it activated fine.

My question is: is there a way to know if the previous owner had gotten an upgrade to Windows 10? The old disk is unreadable. If the owner upgraded, MS must know that this laptop is licensed for Win 10. Is there a way for me to look that up? I'd like to
    avoid installing Win 10 and then having to uninstall it if there's no license.

Thank you,

Bob

BobAlexander5245, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

just inherited a good win 10 laptop-how do I refresh and eliminate previous owner info

1. just inherited a good win 10 laptop-how do I refresh and eliminate previous owner info - Similar Threads - inherited laptop refresh

2. What to do if a previous owner forgot there pin to their computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do if a previous owner forgot there pin to their computer?: — I was given a monitor with the account of the previous owner, and he forgot the pin of his account and have no way to contact him…so is there a way I could possible be helped on being told what the pin is to the account so I could access the monitor and remove it from my...
  3. I was given a laptop that upgraded to Win 10. Can I delete the previous owners generic...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I was given a laptop that upgraded to Win 10. Can I delete the previous owners generic...: My boss gave me an old laptop computer that was upgraded to Windows 10 it still has his generic credentials in the Windows 10 can I delete that credential and add my windows credential that I already had with Microsoft on a Windows 11 computer that crashed? He did not sign in...
  4. I was given a laptop that upgraded to Win 10. Can I delete the previous owners generic...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was given a laptop that upgraded to Win 10. Can I delete the previous owners generic...: My boss gave me an old laptop computer that was upgraded to Windows 10 it still has his generic credentials in the Windows 10 can I delete that credential and add my windows credential that I already had with Microsoft on a Windows 11 computer that crashed? He did not sign in...
  5. I was given a laptop that upgraded to Win 10. Can I delete the previous owners generic...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File Explorer- Deleting all the previous owners info !!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer- Deleting all the previous owners info !!!!: Ok .... last resort, I purchased my laptop from a pawn shop about maybe 2 months ago , so far I am LOVING it !!!! Only problem is the old owner's files & such are still saved & are taking up quite a bit of space now, I did manage to get all the administrator stuff switched...
  7. File Explorer- Deleting all the previous owners info !!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer- Deleting all the previous owners info !!!!: Ok .... last resort, I purchased my laptop from a pawn shop about maybe 2 months ago , so far I am LOVING it !!!! Only problem is the old owner's files & such are still saved & are taking up quite a bit of space now, I did manage to get all the administrator stuff switched...
  8. How to change the Registered Owner & Organization Info in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Registered Owner & Organization Info in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you install and activate Windows, the license is technically under your name or whoever owns the computer. But if you type winver in the Run prompt, the results will be surprising. It will say — The product is licensed [...] This post How to change the...
  9. Folder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Owner and Inheritance spontaneously get changed: Hi, I have a folder within my Documents folder where the ownership and inheritance keep changing, preventing me for editing files in that folder until I manually fix it. Most folders under Documents are owned by my Windows account (my Windows email address) and Inherit...
  10. how do I roll back to a previous version of win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do I roll back to a previous version of win 10: how do I roll back to a previous version of win 10? I think an update messed up one of my programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-roll-back-to-a-previous-version-of-win-10/6f8c8283-91bb-45ea-bc85-027a92a23163