Windows 10: Just installed Win 10. Did I wind up with an extra unknown partition?

Discus and support Just installed Win 10. Did I wind up with an extra unknown partition? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 to a fresh SSD. When I look at the drive in disk management I get three partitions as shown below: [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hwilker, Jan 21, 2019.

1. hwilker Win User

Just installed Win 10. Did I wind up with an extra unknown partition?

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 to a fresh SSD.

When I look at the drive in disk management I get three partitions as shown below:

Just installed Win 10. Did I wind up with an extra unknown partition? [​IMG]

However, when I use Macrium Reflect to create a backup image I get four partitions as shown here:

The system seems to be running just fine, and I can create system backups with Macrium Reflect that it tells me are good, but my concern is, with this seeming mismatch in partitions, if the time comes that I need to restore my system, it won't work.

Can anyone explain to me what's going on here and whether or not there is something wrong with the way my system is set up, or at least reassure me that I don't have a problem.

Thanks.

:)

hwilker, Jan 21, 2019
  2. hwilker Win User

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 to a fresh SSD.

When I look at the drive in disk management I get three partitions as shown below:

However, when I use Macrium Reflect to create a backup image I get four partitions as shown here:

The system seems to be running just fine, and I can create system backups with Macrium Reflect that it tells me are good, but my concern is, with this seeming mismatch in partitions, if the time comes that I need to restore my system, it won't work.

Can anyone explain to me what's going on here and whether or not there is something wrong with the way my system is set up, or at least reassure me that I don't have a problem.

Thanks.

hwilker, Dec 17, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 17, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10: Unknown System (ZJust installed Win 10. Did I wind up with an extra unknown partition? :) Partition or Disk.

Hi Leonardo,

There are several factors why you see unknown system partition or disk in your computer. It can be a recovery partition. For us to better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • When did this issue occur?

Meanwhile, we suggest to follow these steps:

• Open a Command Prompt as admin.
    • Type in diskpart.
    • Type list volumes.
    • Find out which volume shows as your drive E: then type select volume N, where N is the number that the volume was given.
    • Double-check that you're on the right volume, type in "list volume" and check where the asterisk is. If it's beside the volume you wish to change, then good, if not you'll need to do "select volume N" again.
    • When you're sure you're on the right volume, type in remove letter=E.
    • Check it has been done by typing "list volume" to see the results.
    • Close the command prompt window.

It will let you remove that partition.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Just installed Win 10. Did I wind up with an extra unknown partition? - Similar Threads - installed Did wind

2. installing winds 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installing winds 10: trying to installing windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-winds-10/8d238ce8-7cad-4e66-b9a2-301b3229c026
  3. installing winds 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installing winds 10: trying to installing windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-winds-10/8d238ce8-7cad-4e66-b9a2-301b3229c026
  4. Just installed Win 10 Pro and there are no system nor recovery partitions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Just installed Win 10 Pro and there are no system nor recovery partitions.: Hi, i just did a fresh install of the SO and i do not have those partitions MSR partition is there, checked with diskpart . Anyone knows why?...
  5. Did I just **** up my Windows 10 license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Did I just **** up my Windows 10 license?: Hi, I've been doing some "tweaking" on both my pc and laptop these last days but I think that I screwed it up with the Windows 10 licenses. Basically I wanted to install Linux in both of them which I did sucessfully on my laptop and then I tried to make a dual boot on my pc...
  6. Extra partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extra partitions: I have upgraded Windows 10 multiple times from previous builds to current 1903. I see multiple hidden partitions have been created over the upgrades, and read that most of these are Recovery partitions. I know the first 450 MB one is the one created during the first...
  7. Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October: After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared. I save all documents on external "F" Drive. After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't...
  8. Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October: After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared. I save all documents on external "F" Drive. After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't...
  9. Extra Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra Partition: I think I have an extra partition. Can I remove it? [img] The 500MB is the recovery partition from my Win 10 UPGRADE install, BUT now it's marked as a primary partition. Because I reinstalled Win 10 through Windows, not clean install, and got the 450MB partition which...
  10. Extra partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extra partitions: In ADMIN TOOLS|COMPUTER MGMT|DISK MGMT the following are listed... C: 952 GB "healthy recovery partition" 450 MB (the box is shaded) "healthy recovery partition" 449 MB D: 909 GB How can I get rid of the recovery partitions (or at least one, if the other is...