Windows 10: Just managed to restore accidentally deleted Windows Hello Face Software Device

Discus and support Just managed to restore accidentally deleted Windows Hello Face Software Device in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi, Been looking for answer all over the web but couldnt find any, so I figured I'd post here. Face recognition stopped working on my Surface Pro... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by TheFlowCH, Jan 21, 2021.

1. TheFlowCH Win User

Just managed to restore accidentally deleted Windows Hello Face Software Device

Hi,

Been looking for answer all over the web but couldnt find any, so I figured I'd post here.

Face recognition stopped working on my Surface Pro 6, so I thought I could delete the "Windows Hello Face Software Device" under "Biometric devices" in device manager, reboot and Windows would recreate it. But sadly it didn't and I was unable to restore it. Several "solutions" didn't work for me among which deactivating and reactivating cameras in UEFI BIOS.

I found in C:\Windows\System32\WinBioPlugIns\FaceDriver a driver named "HelloFace.inf", right-clicked it, "install", and bam! Windows Hello Face Software Device was back under "Biometric devices" in device manager, and Windows face unlock works again.

Hope this helps anyone.

:)

TheFlowCH, Jan 21, 2021

2. Windows Hello Face Software Device is missing

Device: Surface Pro 6

Specs: i5, 8GB, 128GB

Version: 1809

Build: 17763.475

Windows Hello face recognition stopped working a few days ago. This might be related to an update from Windows Update. Besides that I have no idea what could have caused the issue.

I re-ran Win Update and restarted the device multiple times.

Then I checked the Device Manager. There was a strange entry. A problem with "Biometric devices". I think it had an exclamation mark on it. I uninstalled the Windows Hello Face Software Device. I expected it
    to reinstall once I reboot the system and search for hardware changes using the Device Manager. But the entry "Biometric devices" and "Windows Hello Face Software Device" did not reappear.

I tried running the "SurfaceDiagnosticToolkit_SA", installing "SurfacePro6_Win10_17763_1900807_2", turn all cameras off and then on again in the UEFI and tried this:

Code:
    1. Open Device manager by typing

Code:
    device manager

Code:
    in the Cortana/Search field lower left hand corner

Code:
    2. Expand System Devices and find the Microsoft IR Camera Front and uninstall byright clicking/pressing and holding (but don't delete the driver when prompted).Then do the same for Surface Camera Windows Hello

Code:
    3. restart your Surface twice.

Code:
    If this fails to resolve the issue,

Code:
    1. Open device manager as above2. Expand System Devices again3. Find the  MICROSOFT IR CAMERA FRONT -4. right click/press and hold and then select  Update Driver5. Select Browse my computer for driver software6. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer7. Microsoft IR camera front and then click or tap NEXT to install the driver8. restart Surface twice.

Code:
    Then, go through the process again but select SURFACE CAMERA WINDOWS HELLO andgo through the same steps as above and when you browse your computer, useSurface Camera Windows Hello.  Install as above and restart twice again.
    But I can't find the "SURFACE CAMERA WINDOWS HELLO" either.
    I'm pretty pissed. Please help.

Sincerely,

Stefan

JesusIsMyLord95, Jan 21, 2021
  3. Edwin Win User
    windows hello face problem...

List of Windows Hello supported Dell Laptops:

Just managed to restore accidentally deleted Windows Hello Face Software Device [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 21, 2021
  4. Just managed to restore accidentally deleted Windows Hello Face Software Device

windows Hello states it isn't available on this device

Hi Tom,

Try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if you are able to access Windows Hello.

Step 1: I suggest you to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to update the bio-metric finger print reader from Device Manager and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on Device Manager.
    • Right click on Bio-metric finger print reader, click on
      Properties
    • Go to Drivers tab, click on Update driver software.

Step 3: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

For more information refer:
    Windows Hello and privacy: FAQ

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of accessing the Windows Hello feature for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Just managed to restore accidentally deleted Windows Hello Face Software Device

1. Just managed to restore accidentally deleted Windows Hello Face Software Device - Similar Threads - managed restore accidentally

2. in a accident i deleted windows hello face software device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    in a accident i deleted windows hello face software device: when i searched it you said this: 2. Expand System Devices and find the Microsoft IR Camera Front and uninstall byright clicking/pressing and holding but don't delete the driver when prompted.Then do the same for Surface Camera Windows Hello but i deleted the driver when...
  3. accidentally deleted realtek audio in device manager

accidentally deleted realtek audio in device manager: I was trying to reinstall realtek audio in device manager by uninstalling and scan for hardware changes but I accidentally restart my computer which applied the changes before I could restore realtek audio. Please help me...
  4. Accidentally uninstalled Windows Hello Face driver

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Accidentally uninstalled Windows Hello Face driver: I have a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 laptop which has an Integrated IR Camera. Assuming after a recent update, the Windows Hello Face stopped working. On trying out the quick fixes suggested, I accidentally uninstalled the Windows Hello Face Recognition driver. I can no longer see the...
  5. Windows Hello face software recognition

Windows Hello face software recognition: Hi in the last 2 weeks my recognition login has failed , telling me there was a problem and I have had to use my PIN instead. I have not been able to remove it as an option either. Looking in Device manager I found this. [ATTACH] The driver i am using seems to be the...
  6. Windows Biometric Device,Hello Face Software

Windows Biometric Device,Hello Face Software: I inadvertently deleted this device on my Dell laptop and I'm wondering if and how can i get it re-installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-biometric-devicehello-face-software/e025a6b1-8933-4a5f-95d9-448571f7593d
  7. Windows Hello Face Scanning Software NOT Secure

Windows Hello Face Scanning Software NOT Secure: I am using a Windows surface pro 4. The default login method is using the Windows Hello face unlock. However the same is NOT secure as me AND my son are both able to log in using the face unlock software even though only my face is registered....
  8. Accidentally deleted the camera device on Device Manager.

Accidentally deleted the camera device on Device Manager.: Hi, I made the mistake of deleting my camera device on the Device Manager after it was not working. I attempted to scan for hardware changes like the Microsoft page suggested, but the camera did not pop up. How can I recover the camera in the Device Manager? Thank you for...
  9. Windows Hello Face Software device cannot start -- registry issue

Windows Hello Face Software device cannot start -- registry issue: This stopped working a few weeks ago -- I believe it happened after a windows update.. When the computer (an HP Spectre 360 notebook) boots up, I get the message "Sorry, something went wrong. Please sign in with your PIN When I check the device manager for the Hello Face...
  10. Windows Hello Face Software Device is missing

Windows Hello Face Software Device is missing: Device: Surface Pro 6 Specs: i5, 8GB, 128GB OS: Windows 10 Home Version: 1809 Build: 17763.475 Windows Hello face recognition stopped working a few days ago. This might be related to an update from Windows Update. Besides that I have no idea what could have caused the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i deleted windows hello from device manager

2. windows hello face software device missing in device manager