Windows 10: Just the screen freezing after the 20H2 update

Discus and support Just the screen freezing after the 20H2 update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So my screen freezes occasionally, but its just the screen and nothing else. The sound works just fine, and everything on the background runs while the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kim4495, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Kim4495 Win User

Just the screen freezing after the 20H2 update

So my screen freezes occasionally, but its just the screen and nothing else. The sound works just fine, and everything on the background runs while the screen is frozen. I can also just press the power button once to quickly enter the log in screen and come back, which resolves the freezing. When I am running games like League of Legends, quick alt tab also fixes the problem.

However the freezing occurs every 10 minutes or so and its becoming a pain.

I am using a xps 15 9500 with IntelR CoreTM i7-10750H, GTX 1650 Ti.

:)

Kim4495, Feb 7, 2021

2. Update 20h2

Hi Wicki,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

20H2 should not be installed right-away on your device - MS said the rollout is only to a fraction of users and would be labeled as an optional update initially. Are you enrolled in WIP?

You may uninstall 20H2 using the steps below:

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2020/10/uninst...

Content on the above blog is written by a Microsoft MVP so it is safe. However, do watch out for the ads.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Feb 7, 2021
  3. mverzz Win User
    AMD Graphics Driver freezes after 20H2 feature update, need help!

Dear Support forum,

Yesterday I installed the feature update 20H2.

After logging back-on a pop-up showed that the AMD graphic driver was not installed, which it was before the update.

However whenever I try to install any AMD graphic driver, the screen freezes completely.

When I restart by hard reset, the screen freezes already during the loading process (for example the circling dots before log-in screen).

The only way I can still log-in is by starting in Safe Mode, and/or by disabling the graphic driver completely as otherwise Windows is trying to install any update.

I have tried restoring my system via System Restore, didnt help. Tried to roll back the feature update, but unable to, Windows is asking me to completely reset.

I have tried installing a new driver via AMD website, Driver Booster, Windows Update, Device Manager.. nothing worked, everytime during the installing process the screen will freeze completely.

Some computer data, hope its sufficient:

ACER Aspire E1 Series

Windows

Windows 10 Home - 64 bits

Version 20H2, OS build 19042.546

Processor

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.29 GHz

Graphic Cards

AMD Radeon HD 8750M

Intel HD Graphics Family

I hope any of you have any suggestions to help me out!

Kind regards,

Max

mverzz, Feb 7, 2021
  4. Farvatten Win User

20h2 update freezes at 100%

At which step does it freeze?

I'm on a low bandwidth ISP and have been seeing my 'Downloading...' step SAY 100% but clearly there's still some serious network traffic down that continues for another 15 minutes. It helps to know it's really not stuck, and this Download 100% message is premature.

Check Performance Monitor if it is the Download step.

Farvatten, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Just the screen freezing after the 20H2 update - Similar Threads - screen freezing 20H2

2. Black screen after 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after 20H2 update: Hello, I’ve tried updating my computer to 20H2 update about 20 times already, every time the update finishes I get a black screen with no cursor, task manager doesn’t work, nothing works, and I have to restart my computer every time to “Undoing changes made to your computer”....
  3. Windows Update 20H2 - Post update freezes

Windows Update 20H2 - Post update freezes: Running a Lenovo Desktop PC with Windows 10 which auto updated with feature update 20H2 and now subsequent cumulative updates 03-2021 & 05-2021. I now have multiple system freezes lasting 1 - 3 mins each time where no user input possible. I tried uninstalling update to...
  4. PC Freezes on Startup after Windows 20H2 update

PC Freezes on Startup after Windows 20H2 update: I was holding off updating until today when I saw that the version would be unsupported. I reboot and when I get to my lock screeb, i notice my personalization settings had been reset. I thought it was weird and kept on signing in. At the sign in screen, the PC froze up, and...
  5. 20H2 Update - Cursor/Mouse freeze

20H2 Update - Cursor/Mouse freeze: Hi, My Dell XPS-13 7390 on W10 updated to 20H2 / 19042.867 yesterday, and now both the Trackpad and Mouse Microsoft Surface Mouse freeze every 10-20 seconds. I have tried updating all the drivers for both, all on latest version with no previous one to roll back to....
  6. Laptop freezes frequently after 20h2 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop freezes frequently after 20h2 update: My laptop used to run fine on 1808 but since I've updated to 20H2, it freezes a lot, everything stops responding, and when i have to force shut it down, it takes atleast 10 minutes to boot up, this has never happened before, just after the update, and I have ab HDD but as I...
  7. Update 20H2 freezing windows Randomly

Update 20H2 freezing windows Randomly: Anyone else having random lock ups after updating to 20H2? Windows 10 becomes unresponsive at random times. I can move my mouse and open the start menu, but no windows/programs will open, not even task manager. Shutdown/restart does not work also, I am forced to do a hard...
  8. Windows freeze after windows update - just after login

Windows freeze after windows update - just after login: Hello. I have still windows 1803. For each new windows versions I have installed since 1803, I have the same issue. Just after login, the waiting spinner stopped and stay freeze forever. At that stage, I can nevertheless do ****+Ctrl+delete and Esc. This allow me to see...
  9. 20h2 update freezes at 100%

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    20h2 update freezes at 100%: There was another update right before that one that froze at 100% also anyone else have that problem? Thanks! *Smile 167399
  10. Facing Blue Screen after 20H2 update!

Facing Blue Screen after 20H2 update!: Hey today in the morning I was using my laptop which has Win10 ver-20H2 then suddenly I faced a blue screen on which it was written "system thread exception not handled" So please Give me a suggestion that how can I fix this problem, even when my laptop restarted after...