Windows 10: Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion

Discus and support Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So when I upgraded initiall my desktop was replaced with a default Windows 10 background and some default apps. At first I freaked out thinking all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChefSeth, Dec 5, 2015.

1. ChefSeth Win User

Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion

So when I upgraded initiall my desktop was replaced with a default Windows 10 background and some default apps.
    At first I freaked out thinking all my files were gone, but when I went to C:/Users/name/Desktop all my stuff was still there so I just dragged it out onto this desktop, thinking the import process just wasn't quite perfect and from now on it'd be fine. One folder wouldn't get moved onto this new desktop, so it remained in C:/Users/name/Desktop. When I restarted my computer, it opened my old desktop with my old background and that one folder that wouldn't get moved onto the new desktop, and nothing else. I can't find that new desktop anywhere and it has a bunch of photos on it that I really need to access, does anyone know how I could find those files?

:)

ChefSeth, Dec 5, 2015
  2. AlanTurk Win User

Windows 10 network problem

I have a desktop PC, upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro, and a laptop, upgraded from W7 Home to W10 Home. Before upgrading, I had a network that enabled me to see each machine from the other and to open remote files as if they were local. This worked well
    from either machine. Since upgrading, the laptop can see the desktop, just as it did previously, but the desktop can't see the laptop. My router is a BT Home Hub. I find all the network setup windows confusing, so I would appreciate any clear directions for
    restoring the old arrangement, please.

AlanTurk, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Confused by desktop personalization

Is this a redirected user profile stored on the network... ?

Does using:

control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper

from a WIN+R Run prompt to do this get this working for you?

zachd [MSFT], Dec 5, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, welcome to tenforums. Unfortunately you're not the only one- there are other threads on this topic. E.g. below. Please feel free to search the forum.

If the folder still exists and would be visible normally, try (e.g.) a free tool called locate32.
    This will quite quickly build an index of everything, then you can do virtually instantaneous searches with wild card characters etc.

Very convenient.

If your folder has been deleted, minimise disk activity and use 'Recuva' (free).

Extended discussion here by people who experienced exactly the same thing:
    Lost Desktop Files - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Dec 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion - Similar Threads - Upgraded Desktop confusion

2. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Confusion: Hello, I've been running Windows 7 Pro on my desktop and laptop for, well, years, and have been dreading leaving it behind. Since it'll no longer be supported, I purchased Windows 10 Home and installed it yesterday on my desktop. However, for some reason, Windows 10 Pro...
  3. confused

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    confused: when changing the lock screen to a photo how do I make it fit the screen, the way its showing now is way to big, it's like it's been zoomed in really bad!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused/3aff399e-8a74-4911-afbb-93d3d840671f
  4. confused

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    confused: I haven't set up windows hello or 10 every time i try go on any site takes me of with in few SEC's..like someone else is linked my phone n I don't have pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused/889365f3-afb2-4adb-81f8-7ce31127c9a9
  5. confused..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    confused..: windows 10 has updated my computer as normal, I have had windows 10 since it started but this time my pictures, documents email & calender, I don't understand why they have done this to a lot of my files. Why, when they haven't any other time. I'm not sure which topic to...
  6. multiple desktops just a quick question

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple desktops just a quick question: so i was looking for a way to have multiple desktops on one screen, and the other screen to just be the same window im on. so i found this (see robert aldwinckles answer below)now my question is if i make a game(like destiny, warframe, overwatch.) show on all desktops does...
  7. Just upgraded, can't logon

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Just upgraded, can't logon: Hello, I've searched for this issue but have not found any answers. I just upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 today, and haven't been able to login at all. When I boot up, I reach the sign in screen and it has my name, a password field, and a next button. When I enter the...
  8. Just upgraded, no internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Just upgraded, no internet connection: Hey guys! I just upgraded to 10 about an hour ago from windows 7. I have no internet connection (it says "limited"). Local area connection does not have a valid ip configuration If I try to reset my IP it tells me Ip address has not yet been associated with the...
  9. A file just disappeared from the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    A file just disappeared from the desktop: Hello everyone! I have a question/problem and I want to know if this ever happened to any of you. I was working on an Excel file, that was saved on my desktop, I saved it, closed it and when I clicked on it (the icon file on my desktop) it simply disappeared. I...
  10. confused

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    confused: hi finally got windows 10 home update on my desktop and when I setup my family members my setup screen was not the same as theirs I was not able to resize my home page app windows or get the tiles to show up on the same screen with my account & apps so I removed the tiles...