Windows 10: Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion

Discus and support Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So when I upgraded initiall my desktop was replaced with a default Windows 10 background and some default apps. At first I freaked out thinking all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChefSeth, Dec 5, 2015.

1. ChefSeth Win User

Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion

So when I upgraded initiall my desktop was replaced with a default Windows 10 background and some default apps.
    At first I freaked out thinking all my files were gone, but when I went to C:/Users/name/Desktop all my stuff was still there so I just dragged it out onto this desktop, thinking the import process just wasn't quite perfect and from now on it'd be fine. One folder wouldn't get moved onto this new desktop, so it remained in C:/Users/name/Desktop. When I restarted my computer, it opened my old desktop with my old background and that one folder that wouldn't get moved onto the new desktop, and nothing else. I can't find that new desktop anywhere and it has a bunch of photos on it that I really need to access, does anyone know how I could find those files?

:)

ChefSeth, Dec 5, 2015
  2. AlanTurk Win User

Windows 10 network problem

I have a desktop PC, upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro, and a laptop, upgraded from W7 Home to W10 Home. Before upgrading, I had a network that enabled me to see each machine from the other and to open remote files as if they were local. This worked well
    from either machine. Since upgrading, the laptop can see the desktop, just as it did previously, but the desktop can't see the laptop. My router is a BT Home Hub. I find all the network setup windows confusing, so I would appreciate any clear directions for
    restoring the old arrangement, please.

AlanTurk, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Confused by desktop personalization

Is this a redirected user profile stored on the network... ?

Does using:

control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper

from a WIN+R Run prompt to do this get this working for you?

zachd [MSFT], Dec 5, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, welcome to tenforums. Unfortunately you're not the only one- there are other threads on this topic. E.g. below. Please feel free to search the forum.

If the folder still exists and would be visible normally, try (e.g.) a free tool called locate32.
    This will quite quickly build an index of everything, then you can do virtually instantaneous searches with wild card characters etc.

Very convenient.

If your folder has been deleted, minimise disk activity and use 'Recuva' (free).

Extended discussion here by people who experienced exactly the same thing:
    Lost Desktop Files - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Dec 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion - Similar Threads - Upgraded Desktop confusion

2. Win 11 Upgrade Compatibility Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 Upgrade Compatibility Confusion: I'm looking to upgrade a Win10 Pro 22H2 desktop w/ Lenovo IQ1X0MS motherboard to Win11. It's a Core i5-6500 processor but the Win11 compatibility tool says it doesn't meet the requirements due to the processor, and TPM not being @ Ver 2.0 currently Ver 1.2.When I review the...
  3. Win 11 Upgrade Compatibility Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 Upgrade Compatibility Confusion: I'm looking to upgrade a Win10 Pro 22H2 desktop w/ Lenovo IQ1X0MS motherboard to Win11. It's a Core i5-6500 processor but the Win11 compatibility tool says it doesn't meet the requirements due to the processor, and TPM not being @ Ver 2.0 currently Ver 1.2.When I review the...
  4. Confusion Upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Confusion Upgrading to Windows 11: so, my laptop came with pre-installed windows 10 pro, I tried to find its key but didn't get it from anywhere, so how I now upgrade it to win 11, It going to cost me??...
  5. Confused after upgrading to pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused after upgrading to pro: I was upgrading from home to a pro edition. After doing a clean install of windows pro from a bootable media, it seems like the license is already activated even though I did not enter a pro product key. This is on a pc that was bought new with windows home installed from the...
  6. Windows 10 Desktop Confusion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Desktop Confusion: Myself and my wife have our own laptops. I have an ASUS Laptop that had Windows 7 installed which I upgraded to Windows 10 Windows 10 Home - ver 10.0.19401 and my wife has a HP Stream 11 that came with Windows 10 pre-installed Windows 10 Home - ver 10.0.19401. My...
  7. The Ethernet on my computer is just confusing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Ethernet on my computer is just confusing: Hi! As a Windows Insider, I know a lot about Windows. But my problem is just confusing. So I'm using an Ethernet Cable for my everyday things Gaming, Browsing, etc. One day I woke up and the Icon on the taskbar shows the No internet Icon. The thing is, that my...
  8. confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade: I ran through the Msft docs for updating from WSL1 to WSL2, including updating the WSL2 linux kernel. No problems, worked just like the guide. Then I ran into this strangeness. If I open Powershell and type bash, and type wsl.exe -l -v, it says Ubuntu, Running 2. If I...
  9. Confusing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confusing: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BaldiGaming [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ffm73l/confusing/
  10. confused

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    confused: when changing the lock screen to a photo how do I make it fit the screen, the way its showing now is way to big, it's like it's been zoomed in really bad!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused/3aff399e-8a74-4911-afbb-93d3d840671f