Windows 10: Kana input mode on the newer version of microsoft IME

Discus and support Kana input mode on the newer version of microsoft IME in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I prefer to type in japanese using kana rather than romaji. In the older version of the IME, it works just fine, but on the newer version, whenever I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Luis Felippe Praça, May 17, 2021.

1. Kana input mode on the newer version of microsoft IME

I prefer to type in japanese using kana rather than romaji. In the older version of the IME, it works just fine, but on the newer version, whenever I type anything with direct input, it reverts the setting to romaji input mode. When I change it back to kana, the first character works, but it reverts back to romaji, only after I switch to kana a second time it stays like that. Has anyone had a similar problem and knows a solution to this? Thank you in advance.

:)

Luis Felippe Praça, May 17, 2021

2. Typing numbers and signs in Japanese IME

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are unable to type numbers and signs when you switch to Kana input for Japanese IME.

We reproduced the issue on our lab machine and we were also unable to type numbers or signs using Kana input. We then used
    ALT + ~ (tilde) key to cycles between kana and direct input mode. You may want to try this and see if it’s convenient while using Kana input.

However, I commend and appreciate you for recognizing this behavior. This is a valuable suggestion as there may be other users with a similar requirement. Hence, I suggest you to leave a

Feedback
    for this product so that our developer team can look into this and check if it can be implemented in the future updates.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, May 17, 2021
  3. Can't type hiragana on Japanese IME keyboard after updating to Windows 10

Microsoft support suggests that you can use the hotkeys
    to switch between input modes quickly:
    • Press + to change the input language
    • Press + to change to Hiragana
    • Press + to change to Katakana
    • Press + to toggle between alphanumeric and kana modes
    As a side note: if you were really intent on making Hiragana your default input, you could write an
    AutoHotkey script to do this for you. However, this involves understanding that scripting language.

source:
    http://superuser.com/questions/180188/microsoft-ime-japanese-force-hiragana-input-by-default?rq=1

Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2021
  4. Kana input mode on the newer version of microsoft IME

Can't switch input methods for Japanese Microsoft IME

After hours of trying to figure this out and an unfruitful search on Google
    I found a way to get the advanced settings menu to come up and the language selection style menu to stay in English.
    Properties works now. I have verified this one two of the Windows 10 Home machines I have.

Start Menu > Search > Event Viewer

Open Event Viewer

Select "Japanese Microsoft IME" (Windows key + Spacebar)

Click on "A" on taskbar

Now it should change from "A" to "Kanji/Kana" and if you Right click on the "A" or "Kanji" the menu should show up in English.
    Make sure your active window is the "Event Viewer" or the menu may revert back to Japanese characters.

In English menu on the taskbar, select "Properties" > Advanced > General Tab >
    Input settings/input method: Kana Input, click Apply

Conversion Tab > Include in candidate list Half-width Katakana and Romaji, click Apply

Just to make sure all settings are correct, the Microsoft Advanced Options page should now work.

Select "Language Preferences" (Windows key + Spacebar)

Select the Japanese Language > Options

Under Keyboards > Microsoft IME > Options > Verify Radio button is OFF for Use Kana Input Open Advanced Settings (all the way at the bottom of menu)

Close out Notepad if you have it open. Re-Open notepad. Select Japanese Microsoft IME language again (if not already done) and change to Kanji characters.
    Type something to test.

I had an issue where OneNote that I was testing in would not work.
    It was not until the changes were made and I restarted Onenote did it finally start working within Onenote.

I hope this work-around works for everyone. I have restarted Windows multiple times and the changes stayed.

phynyxstryker, May 17, 2021
Thema:

Kana input mode on the newer version of microsoft IME

1. Kana input mode on the newer version of microsoft IME - Similar Threads - Kana input mode

2. Japanese IME input buggy?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese IME input buggy?: I use Japanese input a lot and it's always been somewhat buggy in my opinion.Often times when I switch to Japanese from English, it defaults to Half-width alphanumeric mode instead of my preferred Hiragana mode. So I'm constantly having to switch back and forth.Often times...
  3. How to stop auto-converting kana to kanji in IME Japanese

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop auto-converting kana to kanji in IME Japanese: I'm using Windows 10 Home and whenever I try to type kana use Microsoft IME Japanese, it automatically wants to convert it to kanji. Even if I select the hiragana option from the pop-up list it gives me, it will revert this to kanji as soon as I start typing the next word....
  4. How to stop auto-converting kana to kanji in IME Japanese

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop auto-converting kana to kanji in IME Japanese: I'm using Windows 10 Home and whenever I try to type kana use Microsoft IME Japanese, it automatically wants to convert it to kanji. Even if I select the hiragana option from the pop-up list it gives me, it will revert this to kanji as soon as I start typing the next word....
  5. Japanese IME doesn’t show kana choice

in Windows 10 Customization
    Japanese IME doesn’t show kana choice: Hello everyone, Maybe my question would look similar to orhers related to IME, but 2 months now I’m trying some hypothetic solutions and what have been discussed on forums doesn’t solved the problem. I use Windows 10 pro, activated, fresh install in French + English,...
  6. Microsoft IME Kana not working

Microsoft IME Kana not working: I installed the Japanese language pack a few days ago. As part of it, Microsoft IME was installed. However, it won't let me switch input methods, it stays at Half width alphanumeric. Selecting Hiragana or any other input method has no effect. This seems to be a known...
  7. Japanese IME can't convert Kana I dont see the IME icon

Japanese IME can't convert Kana I dont see the IME icon: Hello. Please help me, I can't get the Japanese IME to work. It doesn't display the little Icon "A" or "Ain hiragana" for me to switch between romaji and kana. It just types qwerty. I've already tried everything: -copy IME DIC files from another computer where it works -...
  8. IME Japanese kana input failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IME Japanese kana input failure: Please kindly advise what to do. I searched and tried many ways of finding the solution, but everything failed so far. I cannot change romaji input into kana hiragana, katakana, kanji Chinese characters although the Japanese language pack seems to be installed. I cannot...
  9. Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English: Hello, I installed the Japanese IME keyboard a year ago, and it was working fine. I would type in the romanji and then the corresponding kana character would appear on screen. I could switch from English to kana at any time via the little keyboard icon at the on the taskbar...
  10. IME Japanese input

IME Japanese input: So, set up Japanese as my second input. Each time I hit alt + shift, it will switch to Japanese. However the annoying issue I am dealing with is when it switches to Japanese mode, it is in alphanumeric not hirigana mode, which is extremely annoying because if someone switches...