Windows 10: KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR

Discus and support KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Had several updates to windows. Did not notice when the problem first appears as I rarely use the 2nd disk drive.The drive no longer shows up in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joseph Stateson, Apr 22, 2021.

1. KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR

Had several updates to windows. Did not notice when the problem first appears as I rarely use the 2nd disk drive.The drive no longer shows up in win10x64 20H2. The event viewer is full of errors about duplicate disk drives and even more ahci reset commands issued to that D drive, No wonder the drive is not showing up anymore.The 6 digit id for the 1tb C drive is 000000. The D drive, a 4tb drive, has a GPTI pulled the 4tb drive and put it into a USB3 external box and there is nothing wrong with it according to Hard Drive Sentinel. The error messages no longer show u

:)

Joseph Stateson, Apr 22, 2021
  2. slance310 Win User

MBR to GPT problem

Hi,

As a side note... You can not split a partition and resolve the MBR to GPT problem..

The entire drive needs to be converted to either MBR or GPT..

slance310, Apr 22, 2021
  3. slance310 Win User
    Move Windows 10 from an MBR drive to GPT drive?

Hi,

The machine does need to be using the UEFI Bios to boot with a 3TB drive...

The drive also needs to be GPT...

If your old drive is MBR, your machine is probably not using UEFI...

MBR is a Legacy partition type and normally won't boot on a UEFI System...

UEFI machines normally boot from a small EFI partition, which is a different process than Legacy Bios...

I would suggest switching your BIOS to UEFI and trying to boot again...

If that fails, create bootable Win 10 installation media on a Flash Drive, boot with it...

Select REPAIR on the lower left of the INSTALL screen...

Select "Troubleshoot"... Then "Advanced"... Then Startup Repair...

Automatic Startup Repair may start before you get a chance to make a selection...

If that happens and it doesn't work, try again with the manual selection of Startup Repair...

Hopefully this will fix the problem... provided there was not an issue with the cloning...

slance310, Apr 22, 2021
  4. KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR

What is a better format for HDD over 2TB Master boot with Win 7 OS RAID... GPT vs MBR?

UEFI -> GPT
    BIOS -> MBR

I use GPT whenever possible.

YES! BIOS can only boot MBR.

FordGT90Concept, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR

1. KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR - Similar Threads - KB2983588 problem drive

2. Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT: After failing the Win11 check due to my boot drive being MBR, i've read so much on changing my drive to GPT (I use UEFI BIOS already). The MBR2GPT tool on Windows fails as it says it can't create an EFI partition. I'm assuming now that I can't change my boot drive from MBR to...
  3. changing drives from mbr to gpt problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    changing drives from mbr to gpt problems: hi really after my previous question i find out my pc's only problem is when i try to shutdown or restart or sleep or even when windows get a problem and wanna restart its self cant do it i remember while installing my windows i had the problem but not in my previous...
  4. MBR to GPT had drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to GPT had drive: I’m trying to do a build with my cousin, he set the drive with windows to GPT because he said the msi MB can’t read MBR. Computer booted fine with just the windows drive. We plugged in my other drives and got this error https://i.imgur.com/CcjpMMA.jpg. His friend is claiming...
  5. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  6. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Support
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  7. mbr and gpt on the same drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mbr and gpt on the same drive: so a clean install on a crucial mx500 ssd. used uefi from usb stick to install windows so that it would create the gpt partition. all updates installed fine and when i checked the drive using a portable partition manager, i had a system reserved partition, an mbr partition,...
  8. Format mbr external drive to gpt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format mbr external drive to gpt: I was recently instructed how to format a GPT external drive to MBR.It was 4 terabytes and now is only 2 terabytes.I understand why because it was explained on this site.What I would like to know is can I format it back to MBR so I can get the 4 terabytes back.Hope I...
  9. Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?

Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?: Can I have both a GPT and MBR formatted drives on a dual boot system? I would like to retain my Win 7 installation as is with MBR formatted hard drive, and after the Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade, do a clean Win 10 install with GPT (UEFI) format. 8859
  10. Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?

Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?: My boot drive is a 512 GB SSD and it has MBR partitions. I'm currently running Win 7 Pro 64 on an ASUS motherboard system with a UEFI BIOS. I'm about to upgrade to Win 10. Is there any benefit to redoing the boot drive with GPT partitions as part of that process? 49832