Windows 10: KB3194798 fails at 99%

Discus and support KB3194798 fails at 99% in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, Latest cumulative update installs up to 99 % but then reverses. As looked from i-net there are many with the same problem. I posted here on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by splitsecond, Oct 11, 2016.

1. KB3194798 fails at 99%

Hello,

Latest cumulative update installs up to 99 % but then reverses. As looked from i-net there are many with the same problem. I posted here on similar update problem a few months ago. Then nothing else helped than a full reinstallation of Windows. That's wast of resources to have to install Windows because some update doesn't install. This is the second time something similar comes up. This time the problem is with my laptop that has few programs on it and no frequent program installations. Seems MS has something going on with these as they break registry etc. that WU cant finish.

Reset WU with MS tool, no change. Downloaded the update itself separately but no luck. Nothing wrong with image or system files. have not cleaned registry so that could have mixed it up. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Other updates than cumulative did install OK. Only cumulative fails. Office etc. no problem.

:)

splitsecond, Oct 11, 2016
  2. Alan4s Win User

KB3193494 cannot be installed and is rolled back

Up to KB3194798 now, and it still fails. This is really annoying.

Alan4s, Oct 11, 2016
  3. need fix for cumulative update for windows 10 version 1607 for x64 systems (KB3197954 - Error 0x8e5e0152

After endless failed attempts to install KB3194798, my HP desktop tried to install KB3197954 and this also failed. Then KB3201860 and KB3199986 installed successfully. Now I'm back in the loop of endlessly trying to install KB3197954 over and over again.
    It fails exactly the same way as KB3194798 did. Installs patches up to 30%, restarts, continues up to 100% and then says it was not successful and backs everything out and restarts. Come on guys, this is unacceptable!

**** Wilkins, Oct 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

KB3194798 fails at 99%

Hi ,I think this just happened to me...
    You could try deleting the content of this:
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

- you may need to do that in Safe Mode.

It worked 2nd time..

dalchina, Oct 11, 2016
  5. Thanks for answer! Have tried that 3 times in a row but no better, can't install update. Have also tried to update with fresh installation (update, not clean install), still can't update, seems can be a fresh install situation as worst case scenario- last time it was. It loads the update, begins to install, restarts normal and after restart begins to install up to 99%, then it fails and reverts back.

6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 11, 2016
  7. Tried that also. Weird issue. Tried to delete content under C Windows -- download 3 times more but no luck. Its weird when I updated Windows (forced update) that its not installing updates after that (left win.old). Should reset all system files. All system files OK according to scans. Reset WU with MS tool and fixed it, still not updating.

8. KB3194798 fails at 99%

Can be easiest to reinstall windows, have fast laptop and not that many programs. Stupid solution though for an update problem.

9. Rose W Win User
    Is it the whole folder that is deleted or just the current 10/12/16 downloaded file for kb3194798?
    I did download the .msu file last night but the settings/update beat me to it this morning. It displayed 90% downloaded when I turned on the laptop (Home-Oem version) but the internet connection was not turned on. Restarted the laptop when just getting a connection didn't have an effect to the download. The download completed and the secondary updates (Flash-Malicious software) installed BUT the actual upgrade to .331 'couldn't complete, undoing changes'
    A 2nd time produced the same results.
    I'm now considering using the .msu download I have on hand.

Rose W, Oct 11, 2016
  10. I deleted everything under Download folder, not the folder itself- I tried using .msu, did not work for me, resulted in same undoing changes error.

11. dalchina New Member
    Try a clean boot and disable your AV. As you have the manual download, you can disconnect your internet. Then try installing it.

You can also have a look at the update log:
    Windows Update logs are now generated using ETW (Event Tracing for Windows).
    Please run the Get-WindowsUpdateLog PowerShell command to convert ETW traces into a readable WindowsUpdate.log.
    For more information, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=518345

Note: I've not searched and researched this for you, so the answer may be out there...(!)

dalchina, Oct 11, 2016
  12. Tried clean boot, AV disabled, still not updating. I'm reinstalling Windows, its way faster for me than troubleshooting many hours. 10 min Win installation and another hour all programs.

Win clean installation, system OK. Closing this thread.

13. Try3 Win User

KB3194798 fails at 99%

14. Rose W Win User
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ....but....while reading that complete post-first to last-I noted that the script worked for some and not for others. I did reset using the command prompt but did not include 'net stop appidsvc' I did not close the prompt window while going into Winexplorer to deal with the SoftwareDistribution. It didn't seem to be an issue returning to that open command prompt and typing the restart commands. I didn't restart the laptop after that routine either. So any of these steps I missed might have had an influence.
    This day has been occupied with unsuccessful laptop updating efforts so I might as well end the day with one more onslaught.
    It appears that the script needs to be downloaded on the laptop so I'll have to start it up and download script there to try again.

Rose W, Oct 12, 2016
  15. Rose W Win User
    I downloaded the script and with 7zip extracted to look at the contents. Its a convenience script. It edits all the registry entries referring to the Xbox saves and the Task Scheduler routine for the Xbox.
    It is in existence on this laptop (as well as on the desktop) and the last update got past that without an issue.
    Unless someone preparing this current update did a 'cut and paste' ....whatever copy from a past file...then the script might be useful. I haven't tried it.
    I did an .msu install within a clean boot structure which produced the same result. I'm giving up at this point and just shutting off the laptop. If I have to use it then it can have the internet connection turned off.

Rose W, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

KB3194798 fails at 99%

1. KB3194798 fails at 99% - Similar Threads - KB3194798 fails 99%

2. Windows 22H2 update fails at around 99%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 22H2 update fails at around 99%: Every time I attempt to update Windows, I always get the same error. And then it says it cannot complete updates and reverts the changes, taking around 2 hours.List of things I've already tried:SC config trustedinstaller start=autonet stop bitsnet stop wuauservnet stop...
  3. Reset failed at 99

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset failed at 99: The reset failed and it took an hour to get to 99 percent but it fails says couldn't reset the PC. I need to reset since I need to give this PC to my son. I followed the instruction to go to settings > recovery > reset > remove everything. I dont care about the files since I...
  4. Reset failed at 99

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset failed at 99: The reset failed and it took an hour to get to 99 percent but it fails says couldn't reset the PC. I need to reset since I need to give this PC to my son. I followed the instruction to go to settings > recovery > reset > remove everything. I dont care about the files since I...
  5. Reset failed at 99

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Installation of Windows update fails at 99%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation of Windows update fails at 99%: Windows 10 Update Install fails at 99%. I did the install trouble shooting with no success. Tried to install again as suggest, Fails at same point. HELP!!!! ***Modified title from: Windows 10 Update ***...
  7. kb3194798

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    kb3194798: At least 4 retries with this update to get to .321 on a Home 64bit Acer Laptop. Each could not complete and went into undoing changes. I have done the remove SoftwareDistribution folder. Actually I renamed it. A new folder appeared. With Windows defender shut off and...
  8. Reboot loop after kb3194798, error 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 Support
    Reboot loop after kb3194798, error 0xc000000f: Dear Users, Since last Thursday I'm having troubles with Win10. It was going to update but it somehow failed - now I have reboot loop after each 20 seconds - only short info that update is going back and restart - I kept it for whole night and nothing happen ;/ So I made...
  9. Lenovo G505 won't boot after Windows Update maybe KB3194798

in Windows 10 Support
    Lenovo G505 won't boot after Windows Update maybe KB3194798: My W10 64bit Dell desktop installed KB3194798 on 10/12/2016 using Windows Update (WU) so now it is 1607 1493.321. Today I tried WU to update my Lenovo G505 W10 laptop and I think it might have been KB3194798 that has killed my laptop, but I cannot even get the laptop to go...
  10. Cumulative Update KB3194798 for Windows 10 PC & Mobile build 14393.321

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB3194798 for Windows 10 PC & Mobile build 14393.321: A new cumulative update KB3194798 build 14393.321 released for Windows 10 users. The latest cumulative update KB3194798 is now available for Windows 10 1607 Anniversary Update build users. The latest build will update PC build 14393.222 to build 14393.321 and mobile build...
Tags: