Windows 10: KB4016871 reverting loop

Discus and support KB4016871 reverting loop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Since the cumulative security update in may was released, I haven't been able to install it. When I shut down or restart my computer, the update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by devoi, Jun 8, 2017.

1. devoi Win User

KB4016871 reverting loop

Since the cumulative security update in may was released, I haven't been able to install it. When I shut down or restart my computer, the update message appears on the shutdown screen that it's working on updates. This goes to 30%, then immediately shuts off or restarts. Upon restarting, windows says that it could not complete the update, reverts the changes, then restarts maybe 2 or 3 times right after, just to then boot to my lock screen. Anything I can do to fix this?

:)

devoi, Jun 8, 2017
  2. ADTC Win User

KB4015217 failed to install

Anyone else having problems with KB4016871 as well?

This KB4016871 already failed to install twice on my laptop. What is happening with Microsoft Updates these days?

ADTC, Jun 8, 2017
  3. KB4016871

I installed both these 2 days ago and lost part of my Microsoft Edge. Didn't realize it was these two updates.

Yesterday I did a complete re-install and Edge was working again. Re- installed updates as I can't pick and choose. - Lost Edge - Uninstalled KB4020102 and that left KB4016871 on my PC with Edge still missing.

Re-installed KB4020102, with the intention of uninstalling the latter update, and found that it had disappeared.

I am now in the process of uninstalling KB4020102 and then KB4016871 and hoping that Microsoft come up with a solution, as independently, I can't install one without the other.

I am using Firefox to write this as the part of my of Edge I still have keeps looping out when I try and key in any characters.

I know it will be restored when I uninstall.

Long Live Microsoft KB4016871 reverting loop :)

marilynjltorode, Jun 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

KB4016871 reverting loop

Hi, try the easy option first- manual update. Download link here.
    Cumulative Update KB4016871 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.296 - Windows 10 Forums

Ensure no unnecessary peripherals are attached.

Still problems? - Basic checks:
    Check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

And with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

Then from an admin command prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and report the result.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  5. devoi Win User
    For some reason, the manual updates (both 32 and 64) say that this update is not compatible with this version of windows, despite using the latest updates I could get before this one. chkdsk works fine, but sfc reports that:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix someof them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Forexample C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently notsupported in offline servicing scenarios.

Checking the CBS log yields a repetition of the error "Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory (insert directory here)" For a lot of my system files.

devoi, Jun 9, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Also open administrative command prompt and type or paste these commands:

1) dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

On the administrative command prompt right click on the top bar, hover over edit, left click select all, right click the top bar again, hover over edit, left click on copy, paste into the forum thread.

Continue typing or copy and pasting these commands into administrative command prompt:
    4) msconfig (in the system configuration pop up move the dot from normal startup to selective startup, un-check load start-up options, click on the services tab, in the left lower corner check the box to hide all Microsoft services, on the right lower side click disable all, click apply or ok and do not reboot.)
    5) taskmgr (In the task manager pop up click on the startup tab, click on the status column so the it sorts with enable rising to the top, right click each row that displays enable and change to disable.)
    6) shutdown /r

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows

7) Open administrative command prompt and paste all of these commands together:
    Net stop bits
    Net stop wuauserv
    Net stop appidsvc
    Net stop cryptsvc
    Del %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat /Q
    Del "%HOMEDRIVE%\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat" /Q
    Del %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\*.* /s /Q
    Net start bits
    Net start wuauserv
    Net start appidsvc
    Net start cryptsvc

Disconnect all non-essential hardware from your computer (usb, external hard driver, printer, etc.).
    Perform windows updates while in clean boot (the msconfig and taskmgr changes above).
    For any failed windows updates report the KB# and the error code into the forum.

zbook, Jun 9, 2017
  7. devoi Win User
    Updates worked perfectly. Thank you!

devoi, Jun 9, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

KB4016871 reverting loop

Your welcome. Anytime.

Which steps did you perform?
    Which steps did you not perform?
    Is sfc /scannow fixed so that it now displays that it did not find any integrity violations?

zbook, Jun 9, 2017
  9. devoi Win User
    I performed all the steps, and the CBS service still reports some of the same overlap errors. However, I'm just glad my updates work again.

devoi, Jun 9, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
Thema:

KB4016871 reverting loop

1. KB4016871 reverting loop - Similar Threads - KB4016871 reverting loop

2. Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build: Since I had a problem with a update huge preformance loss, I tried using the option to revert back to a previous build.It started the process, but soon after, it was stuck in a boot loop, that looks like the following:- Dell Logo shows up no dots - Spinning dots with Dell...
  3. Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build: Since I had a problem with a update huge preformance loss, I tried using the option to revert back to a previous build.It started the process, but soon after, it was stuck in a boot loop, that looks like the following:- Dell Logo shows up no dots - Spinning dots with Dell...
  4. Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. KB4016871 Installed Twice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4016871 Installed Twice: I am wondering why KB4016871 has installed itself twice. [img] 84508
  6. KB4034674 Reverting Loop

KB4034674 Reverting Loop: The somewhat recent update KB4034674 refuses to fully install on my system. It gets to the point where I need to restart to complete the update, in which case windows goes to the "preparing update" screen. When it reaches 30%, windows shuts down/restarts. When I reboot,...
  7. (KB4016871) update is bad and buggy i think

(KB4016871) update is bad and buggy i think: hey i recently updated to 1703 and then a day later i updated this 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016871) and wasnt able to boot past windows 10 icon. had to system restore so just a warning about after going on 1703 windows...
  8. Windows 10 CU KB4016871 Alt-Tab show pixelated/blurry

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 CU KB4016871 Alt-Tab show pixelated/blurry: Hi! After Windows 10 Creators Update and applied KB4016871 Alt-Tab show blurry/pixelated, also Windows Taskbar thumbnails ... except for Edge, which show very smooth picture as it was before KB4016871. When I removed mentioned KB4016871 ... Alt-Tab etc. was showing ok again....
  9. I can't revert back to Windows 7 due to an infinite boot loop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't revert back to Windows 7 due to an infinite boot loop.: I've had this problem for a while and I've recently with help of someone else, been able to get to the login screen and acutally log in by booting through a USB. But then when I try to revert, it restarts and when it reboots. It get's locked in a screen that has a blue...
  10. Cumulative Update KB4016871 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.296

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB4016871 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.296: Update May 25, 2017: Replaced by: Cumulative Update KB4020102 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.332 - Windows 10 Forums May 9, 2017—KB4016871 (OS Build 15063.296 PC and 15063.297 Mobiile) Improvements and fixes This security update includes quality improvements. No...
Tags: