Windows 10: KB4019472 Humongous Patch Tuesday Update Failed Due to Lack of Space

Discus and support KB4019472 Humongous Patch Tuesday Update Failed Due to Lack of Space in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; EDIT: Well, at least I know now why it failed, but no fix. I should have noticed I am running out of space yet again (A better error message would have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pjc123, May 9, 2017.

1. pjc123 Win User

KB4019472 Humongous Patch Tuesday Update Failed Due to Lack of Space

EDIT: Well, at least I know now why it failed, but no fix. I should have noticed I am running out of space yet again (A better error message would have been nice!). The laptop only has a 32GB non-upgradable eMMC storage chip, and for a year I have been able to keep 4 or 5GB free by constantly cleaning up things, and the updates installed. Well this update is so huge that the laptop is no longer updateable. I have done all I can do at this point. I also had to disable the Windows Update service because it fills up my laptop with 100,000 files every day that I have to delete every time to get space back.

What I have done to make space (These are instructions I give to other people with 32GB drives):

(NOTE: I believe Steps 1 and 2 will actually perform steps 3, 4 and 5):
    1) Run Windows disk cleanup including system files.
    2) Install and run the CCleaner application. Perform just the file cleanup.
    3) Delete %TEMP% files. Use the search in the taskbar and type %TEMP%. Delete all the files there and just skip the ones that are in use. Double check that it takes you to the TEMP directory.
    4) Empty the Recycle Bin.
    5) Delete Windows/Temp files. (C:/Windows/Temp.). Skip the ones that are in use.
    6) Run a search using the search field in file explorer and check for GIGANTIC and then HUGE size files you may have forgot about, like in the Downloads directory (Select Size Explorer).
    7) Install WinDirStat. It will help you find other really large files you may have missed.

One time things I have done (These are very large space savers)
    1) Installed all applications on the SD Card. Whenever installing an application look for the advanced setup and change the C: drive to the D: drive (Or whatever drive your SD card is at).
    2) In Settings, disable hibernation.
    3) In Settings, delete everything in the System Recovery Space , reduce the size (I keep mine at 1GB), and manually do one System Recovery backup so you have it in case things go bad. For the Windows update it may be necessary to delete all files and disable it to make room if necessary.
    4) Delete or move the swsetup files. (I actually moved them to the D: drive just in case they are needed). They are located in C:/swsetup. They may be necessary for a restore, so if you feel uncomfortable with this one, just skip it unless you are really low on space.
    5) It took me a little while to notice this one. Use the web to access most of my Google Drive files so they are not synced to the disk (This is an extremely large space saver). What I do is select only important files to sync with the Stream drive. You can access the other ones using their web feature. (Windows Explorer > Google Drive > Right click on Google Drive > Select Google Drive > Select "Visit Google Drive on the Web".

PROBLEMATIC UPDATE IN QUESTION: 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4019472).

I have tried multiple times to install it in the last two days and it dies at 9% - 10% progress with the following error each time, no matter what fix I try:

1) Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later.
    Error code: (0x80073712)

Things I Tried (EDIT: These were really of no use to me now I know it is a space issue):
    1) Ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter and retried. No help.
    2) Manually downloaded the update from the Microsoft Catalog. Did not work. The installation ran for a few minutes, the progress bar only moved slightly, and then a message popped up saying that it was not installed.
    3) Ran chkdsk/scandisk on both drives. no.
    4) Ran a System File Check. en-oh.
    5) Ran the update at two different locations (Different network equipment / ISP / etc.). same.
    6) Disabled Antivirus, Firewall and VPN. Not.
    7) Deleted everything in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. negative.
    8) Disabled the Delivery Optimization Service and stopped the Windows Update Service, rebooted and retried. Nada.
    9) Ran the DISM repair command; operation complete. Did it fix the problem?.....Of course not.
    10) Ran CCleaner, both Registry and File cleaner. Another waste of time.

:)

pjc123, May 9, 2017
  2. pjc123 Win User

How to Upgrade to the latest Windows 10 Feature Update on a Drive with Limited Space

Geez, I don't even have enough space to even install the recent very large KB4019472 "Patch Tuesday" update on my 32GB HP Stream. I wonder if it is possible to bypass that patch and install the Creators
    Update (if it gives the option for an external drive like the Anniversary Update eventually did). In other words is the Creators Update cumulative and would include KB4010472, at which point I could manually download and install it? Unfortunately regular
    Patch Tuesday updates don't give the option to use external storage.

pjc123, May 9, 2017
  3. pjc123 Win User
    Lenovo N22 80S6 laptop 32GB Windows 10 Pro not enough hard drive space

I have a laptop with the same specs (32GB storage, 4GB memory, 5GB storage space left). Even Patch Tuesday updates started failing due to lack of space. Using the media creation tool, it asked me if I wanted to use external storage for the 10GB it needed
    to update everything, so I attached an external hard drive and presto, now I am now at the Creators Update. WARNING: I did NOT have to do the clean install as noted by Arjay Domn in the post above.

pjc123, May 9, 2017
  4. insaneo Win User

I also had problems with it but with an error 0x80070002. Looked it up and it said something about corruption. It's a big update. A little over 1gb. I think Microsoft should have broken it down into smaller pieces. I ran the troubleshooter and tried twice more, to no avail. I think it did delete the download folder contents. Believe it had corrupted files in it. It also checked the registry. Then downloaded and installed it manually. It worked, but was still slow. But it did install. For some reason unlike you I couldn't delete the contents of the download folder, even though I'm an administrator. Oh well!

insaneo, May 10, 2017
  5. pjc123 Win User
    The big problem was not the size of the update file, but as the install proceeded, it sucked up all space in the OS. I don't know if this is temporary space or not, but I monitored the size of the C: drive during the install, and it eventually sucked up all 5GB of my free space and then cancelled and reverted the install. Now the Anniversary Update had a feature that let you use external storage during the install (It required 8GB of temporary space) so that allowed me to install it using an external hard drive. So it is beyond me why they didn't add that feature to this huge update. Maybe the Creators update will have this feature, but that will be no help if it requires me to install this update first. A fresh install "might" allow me to go ahead, but I am not going through the hassle of re-installing all my applications. At that point I will just install Linux.

pjc123, May 10, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    That's an option offered when upgrading to a new version of Windows and using the install media. AFAIK it's never been part of installing updates (which are just patches to the existing system).

5GB free space is hardly anything, the swapfile could easily use that up on it's own. You need to free up some space. If you have not already done so, use Disk Clean up and click its 'Clean up system files' button. On the 'More Options' tab you can delete all but the latest restore point. If you've never cleaned this before old restore points can easily eat up many GB of space. Also, 'Update Package backup files' can occupy many more GB of your precious drive space. the Extended Disk Clean up can delete those too. See Option Two in this tutorial...

Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10

If you have already tried all of the above, you could try downloading the standalone installer for this update to an external device like a USB stick and update from that. Then it won't need to occupy space on your drive while it tries to install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4019472

7. pjc123 Win User
    Apparently you didn't read my OP. I tried every single thing you mentioned and much more, and have been doing those types of things for a long time to get every micron of space, and to keep space available ongoing. The OS and updates are just too large at this point. Unless someone can come up with some "new" and novel ideas for freeing space, I am out of luck. Others are in the same situation, in fact many gave up when the Anniversary Update was released, or even earlier, and ditched their laptops or installed Linux. I needed a cheap laptop while traveling, so it served its purpose, and a shame because it is a great laptop for the price, and Windows 10 has been running great. They really should have put 64GB of space in it (Heck we all would have paid what little extra that would have cost), but it is all about marketing, obsolescence and forcing the user to upgrade or choose a more expensive laptop in the first place. The memory is only 2GB, but the only detriment there is slowing down things a bit for regular basic computing, it doesn't turn the machine into a useless brick. Microsoft takes part of the blame as well, as they work closely with the manufacturers and knew that these machines should never been released.

pjc123, May 10, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

It made no mention of trying the stand-alone install package.

9. pjc123 Win User
    And I quote:

"2) Manually downloaded the update. Did not work. The installation ran for a few minutes, the progress bar only moved slightly, and then a message popped up saying that it was not installed."

I guess I can make it clearer in my OP....I don't know. Look, I appreciate the help, I understand it was a long post. The manual install also failed because of the lack of space, and I did put it on a different drive (The SD card). It doesn't matter, because the 5GB of C: drive space still gets sucked up during the install.

Now I had tried installing the "Cumulative Update" because that is the one that the regular Windows Update tries to install, so I wanted to match that. However, I also see there is a "Delta Update" that is half the size. Not sure what the difference is, but if the Delta Update can be used as long as all other previous updates have been installed (If I am reading that correctly), it might be worth a try.

pjc123, May 10, 2017
  10. pjc123 Win User
    EDIT: I disabled the Windows Update service. I couldn't take it anymore. Hopefully some day I will be able to upgrade. If I didn't need the laptop so bad right now I would stop using it, but I don't have access to my desktop. However I do have an up-to-date Linux version on a USB stick if I need to do something where security is an issue.

The big question now is how to stop the download update. It slows my computer to a crawl every morning when I start it while it downloads the update, sucks up all my disk space, and I have to delete like 100,000 files every day. I have Windows Home, so from what I understand it is not easy to stop this. I set the download time to the middle of the night, but that has not worked.

pjc123, May 10, 2017
  11. orso Win User
    I manually downloaded the Cumulative Update KB4019472; had the firewall disabled; it took a while but, finally, I got update completed. In the update history though I only have a "security update for Windows" with the same KB #. Should I assume it they are the same updates?Thanks

12. insaneo Win User
    I would, but no way to know for sure. I used the standalone installer as windows update didn't work on a w10 pro 64bit desktop and w10 home 64bit laptop. It took awhile to install. Now the creator's update is coming! OMG!! I have no need for this update, except maybe a way to postpone future preview updates (LOL). I don't have a tablet or believe it or not, a smartphone. There's 3 Os's to choose from. Windows,apple, or linux. I've tried all three and unfortunately for a regular user like me, windows is the lesser of two evils. If microsoft would let me opt out of feature builds and let me download just os security updates and virus definitions I'd be a happy camper!! Again in imho microsoft should have seperated desktop/laptop from tablets, phones etc. They've turned windows into a tinker toy like linux! I hate changing things back to the way I like it!

insaneo, May 11, 2017
  13. KB4019472 Humongous Patch Tuesday Update Failed Due to Lack of Space

I had the same problem. My Update History showed KB4019472 failed to install nine times since 11th May.

I stopped and disabled the "Windows Update" service, rebooted, deleted everything in the c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.

Then rebooted again and enabled and started the service again.

The update is now shown as installed successfully. It took just a few minutes to re-download.

ZaphodBeeblbrox, May 12, 2017
  14. Benpiggy Win User
    May I ask how to disable windows update for Win 10 please. Mine got stuck at 9%

Thank you

Do not why they have to make this so difficult.

Benpiggy, May 12, 2017
  15. pjc123 Win User
    1) While holding down the "Windows Key" hit the letter R. Type the word services.msc. Hit the OK button. Wait for it to load.
    2) Scroll down to "Windows Update". Right click on it and select Properties.
    Click the Stop button.
    So it doesn't start up from now on, For Startup Type, Select Disabled.
    Click OK.

pjc123, May 12, 2017
Thema:

1. KB4019472 Humongous Patch Tuesday Update Failed Due to Lack of Space - Similar Threads - KB4019472 Humongous Patch

2. Missed Patch Tuesday

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missed Patch Tuesday: Hello, Have a question about Patch Tuesday, i can't get general answer about it and need advice. So in company for some reason was missed two month Patch Tuesday on endpoints, now need to renew it. Question is: does January Patch Tuesday contains missed month security...
  3. Patch tuesday Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Patch tuesday Windows Update: After build 22000.282, but patch tuesday, update third build windows 11 22000.278, it is correct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/patch-tuesday-windows-update/a9b5e468-8d7b-483f-a3e1-a85b09fdb569
  4. Patch tuesday Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Patch tuesday Windows Update: After build 22000.282, but patch tuesday, update third build windows 11 22000.278, it is correct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/patch-tuesday-windows-update/a9b5e468-8d7b-483f-a3e1-a85b09fdb569
  5. 1709 failing to update due to lack of security

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1709 failing to update due to lack of security: For as long as i can remember now i am unable to get any updates past 1709 to work or even do a windows reinstall, i have tried everything i can think of. From clearing system distribution folder, stopping start up process to see if that would help even removed my 3rd party...
  6. lack of space for update

lack of space for update: I cannot install windows 10 updates. Lack of space I try clearing space but cannot get to option 2 install usb. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lack-of-space-for-update/7fae9098-9768-42cf-bc70-3522105e89af
  7. Patch Tuesday

Patch Tuesday: I update an old win7 system to win10 (1903) a few months ago -- all was working find (a bit slow --- old hardware) until August's (2019) patch day --- I think there were 2 update --- one failed -- KB4512508 -- and when the OS reboot -- it was a nightmare I noticed...
  8. Patch Tuesday is active

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Patch Tuesday is active: CU for most every thing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/patch-tuesday-is-active/ca9a1cd7-23e1-4452-bef4-71b5f180ad0b
  9. Update Failure KB4019472

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update Failure KB4019472: My PC has attempted to install this update several times, each time registering a failure: 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4019472) It is the correct update for my system (pretty sure). I've downloaded the stand-alone...
  10. Patch Tuesday KB120677

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Patch Tuesday KB120677: New cumulative update KB120677 No issues here. Follow this link for further information. https://support.microsoft.com/pt-pt/kb/3120677 31406
Tags: