Windows 10: KB4078407 Update to enable mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2

Discus and support KB4078407 Update to enable mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; This update does not provide protection against Spectre Variant 2. All it does is turn on protection if you had previously disabled it because of a bad... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Ground Sloth, Apr 4, 2018.

1. KB4078407 Update to enable mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2

This update does not provide protection against Spectre Variant 2. All it does is turn on protection if you had previously disabled it because of a bad BIOS update.

Ground Sloth, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ctre-variant-2

Direct download link for KB4078407 EXE file from Microsoft Update Catalog:

*Arrow Download KB4078407 MSU for Windows 10,Windows 10 LTSB,Windows Server 2016 - 24 KB

:)

Brink, Apr 26, 2018
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Windows freeze

If those other fixes don't work, try this:

2018 01 29- KB 4078130- UPDATE TO DISABLE MITIGATION AGAINST SPECTRE, VARIANT 2 – INTEL BUG

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/407813...

Check Update History to confirm you have KB 4078130 installed. Rather than uninstalling KB4054892, which fixed other problems as well as creating the reboot problem (and others), MS has created KB4078130 to fix the problems/

Rohn007, Apr 26, 2018
  4. Rohn007 Win User

KB4078407 Update to enable mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2

Printing error to large format printer on network.

2018 01 29- KB 4078130- UPDATE TO DISABLE MITIGATION AGAINST SPECTRE, VARIANT 2

Check Update History to confirm you have KB4054892 installed. Rather than uninstalling KB4054892, which fixed other problems as well as creating the reboot problem (and others), MS has created this update to fix the problems/

Optional Reading

If you are interested, the “official” documentation for the above fix is in the links below.

2018 01 29- “HIGHER THAN EXPECTED REBOOTS AND OTHER UNPREDICTABLE SYSTEM BEHAVIOR” - UPDATE TO DISABLE MITIGATION AGAINST SPECTRE, VARIANT 2 – FIX PROBLEM CREATED BY WIN UPDATE KB4056892

In December very significant 3 bugs / defects in the “CPU” / computer chip made by Intel were announced. In January some more bugs were announced. MS and Intel have released some updates to partially patch these problems. But the patches were less than successful.
    One of the side effects is unexpected reboots of the computer (sound familiar).

So read the link above, and below, for more specific details about the problem and the update that may be able to partially fix the Intel inflicted problem.

2018 01 22- ROOT CAUSE OF REBOOT ISSUE IDENTIFIED BY INTEL – BAD UPDATE F

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-r...

JANUARY 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS BUILD 16299.192) INCLUDES MITIGATION AGAINST INTEL SPECTRE, VARIANT 2 (WHICH IS CAUSING PROBLEMS)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/405689...

Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709

The documentation doesn’t actually mention the Intel bug fix … <sigh>

Rohn007, Apr 26, 2018
  5. VBF
    VBF Win User
    Got to this thread courtesy of @ddelo from Cumulative Update KB4093105 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.402 - Apr. 23 - Page 13 - Windows 10 Forums

Basically this update KB4078407 didn't work on my Tosh laptop (details in the above thread if anyone is interested)
    I notice it's NOT an MS Update Standalone Package - just a 25K exe file.

I tried installing it, ran Gibson's InSpectre - still not protected.

I then tried installing KB4090007 and then running KB4078407. Still no go.

This site Microsoft Releases Two New Windows Updates Containing New Spectre 2 Mitigations led me to KB4091666.

This IS a MS Update Standalone Package but sadly wouldn't even install giving me this message

KB4078407 Update to enable mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2 [​IMG]

Back to the drawing board*cry

6. Pendaws Win User
    I tried the update KB4093112 that is for the Spectre VII and it won't install on my AMD 6 core machine :O
    Originally AMD CPUs were not supposed to be affected but I got the GRC InSpectre.exe and ran it but still my system is vulnerable.
    Oh well. *Rolleyes

Pendaws, Apr 27, 2018
  7. khanmein Win User
    After applied the update;

FeatureSettingOverride 0

FeatureSettingOverrideMask 2

khanmein, Apr 27, 2018
Thema:

KB4078407 Update to enable mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2

1. KB4078407 Update to enable mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2 - Similar Threads - KB4078407 Update enable

2. To implement Retpoline function in c/c++ high level function for mitigating Spectre variant...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    To implement Retpoline function in c/c++ high level function for mitigating Spectre variant...: I have a query on spectre insecurity threats to modern CPUs on Windows OS. CVE-2017-5715, also known as spectre variant 2. Branch target injection spectre variant 2 can be mitigated using retpoline. I am unable to implement retpoline in c/c++ function. Can some one help? I...
  3. Enable Retpoline to mitigate Spectre variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715)

Enable Retpoline to mitigate Spectre variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715): Following the release of Cumulative Update KB4482887 Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.348 there is a lot of discussion regarding the new Retpoline mitigation. This feature has been included in the KB4482887, but is disabled by default. In future updates, or the next Feature...
  4. Mitigating Spectre variant 2 with Retpoline on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Mitigating Spectre variant 2 with Retpoline on Windows: In January 2018, Microsoft released an advisory and security updates related to a newly discovered class of hardware vulnerabilities involving speculative execution side channels (known as Spectre and Meltdown) that affect AMD, ARM, and Intel CPUs to varying degrees. If you...
  5. Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?

Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?: I noticed Chrome have updated their browser with a 'new security feature' that will keep users safe from Spectre etc, however it will use 10-13% more RAM because of the increased number of processes running in real time. With this in mind - I know Microsoft has said that...
  6. Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?: I noticed Chrome have updated their browser with a 'new security feature' that will keep users safe from Spectre etc, however it will use 10-13% more RAM because of the increased number of processes running in real time. With this in mind - I know Microsoft has said that...
  7. KB4078130 Update to Disable Mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2

in Windows 10 News
    KB4078130 Update to Disable Mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2: Critical Update to Disable Mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2 Applies to: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 10 Version 1511, Windows 10 Version 1607, Windows 10 Version 1703, Windows 10 version 1709, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Windows...
  8. Spectre mitigations in MSVC

in Windows 10 News
    Spectre mitigations in MSVC: Microsoft is aware of a new publicly disclosed class of vulnerabilities, called “speculative execution side-channel attacks,” that affect many operating systems and modern processors, including processors from Intel, AMD, and ARM. On the MSVC team, we’ve reviewed information...
  9. Intel Microcode Revision Guidance for Spectre variant 2 - April 2

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Microcode Revision Guidance for Spectre variant 2 - April 2: The following table provides details of availability for microcode updates currently planned by Intel. Changes since the previous version are highlighted in yellow. LEGEND: Production Status: • Planning – Intel has not yet determined a schedule for this MCU. •...
  10. Understanding performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations

in Windows 10 News
    Understanding performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations: Last week the technology industry and many of our customers learned of new vulnerabilities in the hardware chips that power phones, PCs and servers. We (and others in the industry) had learned of this vulnerability under nondisclosure agreement several months ago and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4078407 windows update

2. spectre variant 2 mitigations settings