Windows 10: KB4346783 causes start menu to open slowly, removal of update does not fix it.

Discus and support KB4346783 causes start menu to open slowly, removal of update does not fix it. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had no issues with the start menu opening before this, I estimate it opened in 1/10 of a second. Once I installed the update everything was a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ami__S, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Ami__S Win User

KB4346783 causes start menu to open slowly, removal of update does not fix it.

I had no issues with the start menu opening before this, I estimate it opened in 1/10 of a second.

Once I installed the update everything was a little more sluggish, most noticeably the start menu, which would open in 1.5-2 seconds whether I clicked on it or pressed the winkey. It would also display a small hourglass beside the cursor.

I also noticed that a link to a portable app was missing. (An app that runs without installation, drivers or registry entries)

I uninstalled the update, the problem remained. Thankfully I learned my lesson with windows updates long ago and created a system image beforehand, restoring the image fixed everything.

Does anyone know what is causing this and whether there is a fix? I have since turned off automatic updates and have blocked that individual update. I do not want to get this "fix" in a future update.

:)

Ami__S, Sep 5, 2018

2. Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Sep 5, 2018
  3. Liezl Fal Win User
    fix start menu

Thank you for the images. We suggest creating a new local administrator account to
    see if the Start menu will work fine using that account. Please follow the steps found in the link that we've sent previously. Here is the link again:

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

We're here for your updates.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Sep 5, 2018
  4. KB4346783 causes start menu to open slowly, removal of update does not fix it.

How to fix start menu after update?

I have the same problem, I tried the suggested fixes but it did not work... The only change after rebooting is that I do not see a "critical error window" open when I click on the start menu anymore. I have no idea what to do. Any brilliant idea out there?
    Thanks!

Michelle TajaMiller, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

KB4346783 causes start menu to open slowly, removal of update does not fix it.

1. KB4346783 causes start menu to open slowly, removal of update does not fix it. - Similar Threads - KB4346783 causes start

2. Windows 11 Start Menu does not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start Menu does not open: I have tried almost everything to fix this issue. The Windows key works, but the start menu won't open. I also tried using the CTRL + ESC shortcut.Please do not tell me to run chkdsk nor sfc, I have tried this already and numerous times. I tried updating my graphics card,...
  3. Windows 11 Start Menu does not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Start Menu does not open: I have tried almost everything to fix this issue. The Windows key works, but the start menu won't open. I also tried using the CTRL + ESC shortcut.Please do not tell me to run chkdsk nor sfc, I have tried this already and numerous times. I tried updating my graphics card,...
  4. Windows Start menu does not open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Start menu does not open: When I click Windows Start, I very briefly get a busy pointer, then nothing appears to happen.Are you able to help me, please?NB, google searching for "windows start menu doesn't open" and applying all the top 10 alleged fixes did not help.Thanks....
  5. Start menu and settings does not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and settings does not open: I tried sfc /scannow Tried dism online health restoretried the powershell get restore commanddid a disk check, but none of this resolved the start menu error....
  6. Windows start menu does not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows start menu does not open: I am experiencing issue with Windows 10, that windows menu does not open on windows click nor on the Win key. Unlike of the older similar thread however, everything else works, including right-mouse button, pinned applications, etc - only start menu does not open. On first...
  7. UPDATE KB4346783 FOR WINDOWS 10 V1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UPDATE KB4346783 FOR WINDOWS 10 V1803: On 30-8-2018 , Microsoft released another windows update KB4346783 for windows 10 V1803 edition with build no 17314.254. This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include: 1) Addresses an...
  8. Windows 10 update KB4346783 (build 17134.254) releases

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update KB4346783 (build 17134.254) releases: https://bit.ly/2MIF3e7 so let me know what you guys are thinking 117060
  9. Update ERROR (KB4346783) 0x80073701

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update ERROR (KB4346783) 0x80073701: Hi, I am trying to install update "Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4346783)" . Win update downloads the update. Installs it. But at the end it gives Error 0x80073701 I tried Windows trouble shoot which Didn't help There is a program called...
  10. Folder icons load slowly when opening the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder icons load slowly when opening the Start Menu: Hello everyone, I have a laptop (Dell E7440 -i5 4300U with onboard graphics, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD) with fully updated Windows 10 Pro x64 installed. After upgrading (through Windows Update) to 1607, I noticed that almost every time I open the start menu, the folder icons...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4346783 issues

2. kb4346783 problems