Windows 10: KB4495667 - explorer.exe height CPU usage after opening explorer

Discus and support KB4495667 - explorer.exe height CPU usage after opening explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, after installing KB4495667 today, I have problems with explorer.exe ragarding CPU consumption. In detail: After installing the update, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AnonymousUser_DE, May 4, 2019.

1. KB4495667 - explorer.exe height CPU usage after opening explorer

Hello,

after installing KB4495667 today, I have problems with explorer.exe ragarding CPU consumption.

In detail: After installing the update, and loging in, I opened the file explorer. Instead of displaying the normal "This PC" content, I only saw the green progress bar on the top. The CPU usage of explorer.exe jumped to ~60% immideatly. After waiting approximatly 2 minutes I decided to kill the explorer and restart it using the task manager. result: normal CPU usage.

When opening the file explorer again, the CPU usage goes up to ~30%, no matter how often I try and kill the process.

Any tips and tricks or should I just uninstall the update and use Linux in the meanwhile KB4495667 - explorer.exe height CPU usage after opening explorer ;)

:)

AnonymousUser_DE, May 4, 2019
  2. barence Win User

Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage

Every day, at intermittent times unrelated to anything I do [it happens when I'm doing nothing], Explorer starts running with each core at about 50% cpu usage, and does not stop. Temperatures and fan speeds rise, fans become very noisy.

Speedfan indicates core temps rise to ~ 70 degrees C, "Temp1" rises to 75 - 80 degrees, fan 1 speed ~ 4000rpm,
    fan 2 speed ~ 2500 rpm.

I have just installed Windows 10 so it seems it could not be caused by a virus/malware.

In windows 7 forums some users found the problem was caused by a corrupted file:

Explorer.exe 50% CPU usage - Windows 7 Help Forums

Since my problem is intermittent is it unlikely to be caused by a corrupted file?

I can't use the solution suggested in the W7 forums because when I kill explorer I lose my desktop.

I ran diskcheck on both my hard drives and it reported no errors found.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Can someone please explain why a corrupted file would cause explorer to run at 50% cpu usage?

barence, May 4, 2019
  3. ajs007 Win User
    Windows Explorer high CPU usage as Apps or Background Process...

3May2018...

Running Windows10 Home Ver 1709 latest OS Build on

Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.8GHz.

Recently Windows Explorer has been running at high CPU usage 45% to 50%

Even when I am not using File Explorer - Windows Explorer runs as a Background Process as same high CPU usage...

First when will Microsoft stick to the new name File Explorer - instead of showing Windows Explorer as the app in the Task Manager...confusing :-(

Two - I saw someone else with the same problem and a ridiculous multi step cumbersome solution of creating another account (where Windows Explorer did not have high CPU) and then a painful exercise of trying to migrate all applications and files from one
    account to the other.

Apparently the original user account may have had a corruption....

Are there any simpler explanations out there on how to fix run away Windows(File) Explorer???

ajs007, May 4, 2019
  4. Kreij Win User

KB4495667 - explorer.exe height CPU usage after opening explorer

Measuring Average CPU Usage, HOW ?

If you are trying to track down a specific process you think might be hogging your CPU power, rather than doing isolated ‘unit testing’, simply use Process Explorer to track down the culprit.

The steps are simple:

1.Open Process Explorer.
    2.Locate the suspect process in the list and double-click it.
    3.In the properties dialog, go to the ‘Performance Graph’ tab.
    In this tab you can view the CPU usage on an easy to read graph. Just hover your mouse over the CPU spikes to see the exact stats on how much juice the process is using. I use this to detemine how much CPU monitoring programs are using to determine if I should keep them running in the background.

Regardless, this is a pretty useful trick to know about to help track down greedy programs.

Kreij, May 4, 2019
Thema:

KB4495667 - explorer.exe height CPU usage after opening explorer

1. KB4495667 - explorer.exe height CPU usage after opening explorer - Similar Threads - KB4495667 explorer exe

2. Heavy CPU usage for "Home" view of Windows Explorer File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Heavy CPU usage for "Home" view of Windows Explorer File Explorer: Very recently, Windows Explorer File Explorer, uses a massive amount of CPU when I view the "Home" view. Without fail. It's gotten to the point that I've changed the default view that loads when I run Windows Explorer to "This PC" How to change the default start page in File...
  3. Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened: Hi guys,I've been dealing with this High CPU usage, which lasts a few seconds and falls back to normal values almost immediately. I have noticed when this happens, desktop icons flashing, like it is resetting and immediately back to normal. Also, when using the Windows...
  4. Windows Explorer CPU Usage Spike

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer CPU Usage Spike: So I've had this issue for the past few months where every so often, windows will appear to freeze up, then return to normal after 5-10 seconds. If I'm typing when this happens, windows will eventually keep up with what I'm typing, meaning this is some kind of severe input...
  5. exe flies opening as internet explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exe flies opening as internet explorer: when I open some files they open up as internet explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-flies-opening-as-internet-explorer/c6ce8665-e1ec-4933-a31d-b2adf86ff413
  6. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

high CPU usage by Windows Explorer: Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one...
  7. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  8. Windows Explorer CPU Usage

Windows Explorer CPU Usage: Since this morning Windows Explorer is running at over 30% while I'm doing nothing. The icons on the windows taskbar and the desktop are constantly refreshing and redrawing themselves. I have not installed anything at all this week. Running Windows 10 Version 1890...
  9. Windows explorer excessive CPU usage

Windows explorer excessive CPU usage: My machine is WIN10, ran WPR on a clean boot, started recording right after cpu usage jumped. WPR log I appreciate any ideas anyone can offer....
  10. Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage: Every day, at intermittent times unrelated to anything I do [it happens when I'm doing nothing], Explorer starts running with each core at about 50% cpu usage, and does not stop. Temperatures and fan speeds rise, fans become very noisy. Speedfan indicates core temps rise...